Visit the Calgary Zoo
Edited by Cat100, Eulalee, Maria, Anonymous and 3 others
The Calgary Zoo is the friendliest zoo in Canada. Even as it slowly recovers from the water damage due to the recent flood rains in Canada, this zoo still holds its charm.
If you haven't yet heard, there is a Calgary Zoo Penguin exhibit, completed early 2012. Its winter theme will fascinate you as you walk through the zoo, admiring the four species of penguins - Rockhopper, Gentoo, Humboldt and King.
The exhibit has experienced its problems though. Patrons, for example, have been getting too close to the penguins and making video recording and taking photographs of them. Three of the penguins recently died due to infections caused by illness and swallowing of a piece of stick. The penguin named Guillermo died this week (Calgary Herald, August 14, 2013).
Still, the zoo's vets and caregivers have the penguins under close watch and the remaining 47 penguins are fun to see. Patrons will enjoy watching the penguins' antics as they mingle, walk together, and swim around in the water.
A visit to the zoo is ideal for family viewing, and strollers are allowed in. You have regular access with a day or season pass, and if you enter through the east entrance, you will see the exhibit right away.
Other Things to Enjoy While in Calgary Zoo
Eating and Dining at the Zoo
After satisfying your eyes seeing the interesting and amazing animals in the zoo, it is time to satisfy your tummy. There are a lot of food kiosks at the Calgary Zoo with the Penguin Plunge and Kitamba Cafe as two of the most visited food stores here. Do you have a gluten sensitivity? Several restaurants serve gluten-free food.
Rides and Playground
Give a treat to your kids by allowing them to enjoy the rides and the playground. The Calgary Co-op Kid Zone offers a fun and excitement to kids with its Wildlife Carousel and Zoo Train. For just $5, the kids can enjoy an unlimited ride. Just outside the Destination Africa, an animal-theme park awaits you and the kids. Let them enjoy mazes, slides and tunnels.
Gift and Souvenir Shops
Happy kids, happy tummy, now make your kids a little happier with a gift or a souvenir. And, as you leave the zoo, visit the gift shop and purchase a stuffed penguin or another toy as a memento of your visit.
- The Gift Shop and Cafe, located besides the Penguin Plunge is open from 9 a.m- 6 p.m.
- Tiger's Den is at the west entrance. If your kids love tigers, you will find a lot of stuff here that can make them very happy.
- Trading Post is at Destination Africa where a huge selection of gifts, candies and toys can be chosen from.
Tips and Warnings
- As the line to enter the zoo gets really long, it could take 30 minutes to get in. It's a good idea to go to the zoo early in the day to avoid these long lines.
- Always follow zoo policies.
- Keep your kids close with you at all times to prevent them from getting lost.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Travel & Leisure
Recent edits by: Robbi, Maria Sharon Ubando, Anonymous