Use the Notification and Quick Setting Panel on Samsung Galaxy S4 Marshmallow vs Lollipop vs Jelly Bean/Kitkat
Edited by Leomar Umpad, angeline zuhura, Lynn, Kirk and 17 others
- 1 This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main VisiHow on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 VisiHow Articles
- 2 Notification Panel
- 3 Quick Setting Buttons
- 4 Notification Panel
- 5 Quick Setting Buttons
- 6 Opening Notifications
- 7 How to Turn off Notifications Completely
- 8 Know About the Quick Setting Panel
- 9 Opening Quick Setting Panel
- 10 Quick Setting Options
- 11 How to Add Smart Pause
- 12 Notification panel has disappeared, no longer responding to touch
- 13 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 14 Questions and Answers
- 14.1 How to turn off automatic notifications of my xfininty email and Exchange emails?
- 14.2 Mobile Data button disappeared with latest 4.1.1. update?
- 14.3 In my Samsung mobile notification panel is not opening?
- 14.4 Add text to notification center?
- 14.5 No more "mobile data" on my notifications, Galaxy S4, since upgraded to Android 4.4.2. Thanks for your help?
- 14.6 Is there a notification screen icon that takes me directly to "mobile networks" instead of having to go to settings, etc., etc?
- 14.7 Where did the "mobile data" quick setting options icon go?
- 14.8 My phone sounds an alert every 5 minutes. There is no new text message. I turned the notification sound off, but then I don't get alerted when I have a text?
- 14.9 Missed call and message notification?
- 15 Comments
This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main VisiHow on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 VisiHow Articles
Notifications are alerts that there are activities within your phone that are noteworthy. These alerts appear on the status bar at the top of the screen in forms of notification icons. Usual activities shown on the status bar are the alerts on missed calls, new messages, application alerts, calendar events, device status and others. This VisiHow will give you an overview of the Notification and Quick Setting panel, and how to get more out of your phone by knowing about these.
Method 1: Marshmallow
Quick Setting Buttons
Method 2: Lollipop
Quick Setting Buttons
Method 3: Jelly Bean/Kitkat
Most notifications are represented by icons on the top of the status bar. However, your phone can only handle up to its screen size, so some are displayed on the Notification panel. These are the steps to view these notifications:
- 2This opens the Notifications panel and shows you the list of notifications.
- 3Drag down to see more of the notifications.
- 4Tapping on a notifications will take you to the application that triggered it.
- 6Drag a single notification to the left to remove it alone.
How to Turn off Notifications Completely
If you would like to turn off your notifications so that you are not interrupted, the Samsung S4 has a tool you can use called Blocking Mode.
Blocking Mode will allow you to:
- 7You can go back and check who has been trying to contact you while you have Blocking Mode activated.See who has been trying to contact you when you have Blocking Mode activated.
How To Activate Blocking Mode
- 1To enable Blocking Mode you will need to open your "Settings." You can do this from the "Menu" button at the bottom-left of your screen. You can also open your settings from the "Notifications" area, which you can find by sliding down from the top of your screen. There should also be a settings app icon in your "App" drawer, where you can access your settings.Open Settings.
- 2In your "Settings," you should find a "My Device" tab. You need to tap on the "My Device" tab and look inside for the Blocking Mode option, which should be toward the bottom of the screen.Find the "My Device" Tab.
- 3After you tap on the "Blocking Mode" option, you will then be able to customize your settings. Here you will be able to choose which notifications/alerts you would like to disable and select from your contacts list exactly who can contact you when you have Blocking Mode activated. You will also be able to choose the time range when you would like Blocking Mode to be activated. Simply check or un-check the features you would like to disable or enable by tapping the boxes.Configure Blocking Mode options.
Know About the Quick Setting Panel
The quick setting panel allows you to view your Samsung Galaxy S4's current settings. Tap on a quick setting panel icon to enable or disable the feature on your phone. This is the easier way of turning features versus the usual way of going to the settings. Below are instructions on how to use the quick settings.
Opening Quick Setting Panel
- 1From the top most portion of your phone's touchscreen, do a dragging gesture.
- 2Tap the icon to open the Quick Setting Panel.
- 3This opens the quick setting panel at the upper part of the screen.
- 4A lit-up icon means it is activated while a gray one means it is turned off.You should be able to see the icons and their status.
- 5Drag to the left or to the right of the icons to see more quick setting panel icons.
- 6Activate or deactivate the functions represented by the icons by tapping on them.
Quick Setting Options
How to Add Smart Pause
This nifty and amazing Smart Pause feature available on your Samsung Galaxy S4 enables you to stop video playback by simply closing your eyes or looking away from the phone! It's ideal for those of us who like to watch videos in bed but end up falling asleep halfway through. Not only does this feature automatically stop the video after you look away, it also starts playing it again from where you left off as soon as it detects you facing the display screen. How to turn on Smart Pause:
This feature can be accessed by clicking the quick on/off toggles found on the notification shade, or you can follow these directions:
- 1On the Home screen, select "Settings" menu.
- 2Tap "My device".
- 3Select "Smart screen".
- 4Scroll and tap "Smart pause".
- It's important to fine tune your settings for the app to work effectively.
- This feature is very dependent on light, so avoid averagely lit areas. You can forget about it working in a dark environment.
Notification panel has disappeared, no longer responding to touch
If your Notification panel has disappeared and your phone is not responding to touch, just turn off your phone for a few minutes. When you open it again, your Notification panel should be back. There's no way to disable or hide the Notification panel in Samsung Galaxy S4. If restarting your phone did not bring back the Notification panel, then you can try to Factory Reset your device. Doing a Factory Reset will erase (or wipe) all of the saved files and applications on your phone, so make sure that you have a backup before doing the process.
- 1On your phone's home screen tap "Apps".
- 2Go to "Settings".
- 3Tap "Accounts".
- 4Tap "Back up and Reset".
- 5Select "Factory Data Reset".
- 6Select "Reset Device".
- 7Tap "Erase Everything".Advertisement
After the Factory Reset, open your phone and the Notification panel should be back on your Samsung Galaxy S4.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- You can rearrange the options on the notification's panel by opening the panel and tapping on
- Some of the features may use battery power. It is always wise to turn them off when not in use.
- Depending on your region and service provider, available icons on your quick setting panel may vary.
Questions and Answers
How to turn off automatic notifications of my xfininty email and Exchange emails?
I feel that it is draining my battery life. I would rather download manually.
Visit the mail account of your XFINITY and while you are in this window, press the menu button so that you open up the settings option where you will now be able to change the time and amount of emails that can be downloaded to your email account.
You have to stop push notifications and go for manual fetching option instead. You can find this under settings and then go your mail settings. You can even customize the settings for each of your email accounts.
What happens when you just opt for manual fetching is that your emails will only come in, once you actually open the mail application. This will allow you to control on when you'd like to receive your messages. The only downside of this is that if you are receiving a very important message, you won't be able to get notified about it right away.
See more questions like this: I do not want certain application being displayed on notification panel for example, I am using blocking mode and I do not want that it should appear in my notification panel. How can I remove this
Used to always use the pull down bar and select mobile data, allowing me to conveniently turn it on or off to save data. However, after updating my S4 the button disappeared. How do I put that button back in place?
Depending on which variant of the S4 phone that you have, the 4.3 update may or may not have gotten rid of the mobile data toggle. Go into your phone's settings and look for notification panel options. There, you can set the toggles available for your drop down panel. Check screenshot here:
An alternate fix would be to install a third party app, like Notification Toggle. Check the apps details here:
In my Samsung mobile notification panel is not opening?
In my Samsung mobile notification panel is not opening
You need to use two fingers in order to bring the quick notification panel down on your phone. If you use one finger you will only be able to bring down the standard notification panel on your device.
See more questions like this: What to do with all those notifications
See more questions like this: How do I drop down the notification panel in Samsung so that I can use all the icons embedded therein?
Add text to notification center?
Texts do not have the first 2 sentences or the contact
This is more likely because you did not enable the preview function on your notification center for the text. Most apps function that way. They will just alert you that there's a message at the notification center but it will not show you the exact content and sender if you did not enable the preview function.
The preview function is mainly intended for convenience. However, if you are extremely concerned about privacy, it is not ideal to have that setup because anyone can actually see that on your lock screen.
No more "mobile data" on my notifications, Galaxy S4, since upgraded to Android 4.4.2. Thanks for your help?
"Mobile data notification, Galaxy S4, no longer existing after upgrade to Android 4.4.2.
Unfortunately, they removed the data connection icon on the latest update. You will have to do the following to turn it on or off:
- Go to settings.
- Tap more networks.
- Tap mobile networks.
- You can enable or disable the mobile data from here.
Is there a notification screen icon that takes me directly to "mobile networks" instead of having to go to settings, etc., etc?
I like the fact that I can go to notification panel and turn wireless off/on; that's only a few clicks. I'd like to be able to do the same with 1) mobile networks, and 2) call forwarding. But I don't see any icons I can add to the notification area (not sure that's correct nomenclature) to let me do that.
Unfortunately, for this particular case, you really have to go through settings in order to make any changes to these. It is mainly because compared to WiFi, you do not need to change mobile networks that often and it is often automatic depending on your service provider. The only time that you may need to select a mobile network is when you are on roaming. Therefore, there are no particular shortcuts for this one.
Where did the "mobile data" quick setting options icon go?
I'm looking at the page "Use the notification and quick setting panel on Samsung Galaxy S4" page on your site. Under Quick Setting Options, item 6 is Mobile data. I don't have that on my phone. I suspect a newer update to my phone got rid of it. Any way to get it back?
Yes, because of the new software update on your device the option of getting to mobile data is no longer there meaning that you cannot toggle this option using the quick notification panel anymore on your Samsung Galaxy S4 as I have done in the past.
In order for you to be able to toggle your mobile data you will need to got to:
3. More networks
4. Mobile networks
5. Uncheck mobile data in this option
This is the only way with the new update to toggle the mobile data option on your current device.
See more questions like this: I can't display quick settings panel by sliding a finger from the top of the display?
My phone sounds an alert every 5 minutes. There is no new text message. I turned the notification sound off, but then I don't get alerted when I have a text?
I can't turn off notification sounds, because I would like to be alerted for a text, for a missed call, or for a voice mail. I don't want these mysterious alerts every 5 minutes.
Those alerts are more likely for other apps that are running in the background. You have to check all notifications for all apps to see what are the settings for each. You do not need to turn off your call and message notifications but you need to make adjustments for the others instead.
Keep in mind that for most smartphones, it allows you to customize the notifications for each app.
See more questions like this: People can't hear me when I call them
Missed call and message notification?
I have a Galaxy S4 on Verizon, running Kitkat. When I get a message or a missed call it vibrates and shows on the lock screen. when the screen goes dark, it immediately vibrates again and lights the screen again. If I don't look at the message for awhile, the phone gets hot and the battery drains fairly rapidly, from the screen being on so much. How do I make this stop?
You have to check your notifications if you have set your phone to repeat notifications several times. You can choose "never" for this so that once you get a notification, that's it and it's just up to you to open it again.
On the other hand, in regards to your phone getting hot easily, you may want to have it checked, especially the battery. This is a most common sign of battery defect. It is best to have it checked right away because if you don't, it will more likely damage your device.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
Recent edits by: Jay, VisiHow, Jumpercat