Use Viber for Free Messaging and Calls on Windows Phone 8
Edited by Batkingnz, Lynn, Eng, Nuance
As smartphones with data connections have become more popular, so too has the need for instant messaging apps that deliver more than just instant messages. Viber is one of the most popular messaging apps on Windows Phone, iOS and Android, and lets you not only send an I'm, but also allows you to make free calls over data connections or local WiFi.
All About Viber
Read on below to get everything set up on your Windows Phone.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Viber?
Viber is a full-featured messaging app that lets you communicate with your friends, family and colleagues through instant text messages or voice calls. Some of the benefits of Viber include:
- You won't pay your usual rate for texts and calls, but you will still need a data connection or need to be connected to a WiFi network.
- Viber will automatically scan your contacts list and add other Viber users to the app so you can get messaging right away.
- You can message in groups (chat rooms) of up to 40 participants.
- Share photos, GPS locations, emoticons and stickers through chat.
- Lock screen, toast (pop up) and live tile notifications for incoming messages.
- The app is completely free, with no advertisements.
What You Will Need
- A Windows Phone running Windows Phone 8.
- The phone should be connected to a cellular network for first time activation.
- A data or WiFi connection for sending messages and making calls.
To get started you will need to install the app.
- 1If you have removed the icon, just swipe right to the apps list to locate the store.Visit the store from your Windows Phone start screen.Advertisement
- 2Open the first result from the publisher Viber MEDIA INC. and press "Install", accepting any permissions that the app requires to run.Use the search function and search for "Viber".Advertisement
- 3Now is a good time to add a live tile for Viber to your start screen. Just long press the app icon and select "Pin to Start". You can then open Viber.When the install is complete, you will be taken to the installed location on your apps menu.
First Time Use
The first time you run Viber, you need to go through the initial setup before you can begin using it.
- 1This should be the whole number without the country code, just as you would give it to a friend. Press the arrow to continue. Viber will now send you an SMS confirmation with a four-digit code. Once you have received the SMS, enter the access code into Viber to continue.On the Viber Setup Screen, choose your location and enter your phone number.Advertisement
- 2You will now enter your details like the name you want people on Viber to see, as well as your photo. You can alternatively connect Viber to your Facebook account from this screen, which will retrieve your details automatically. Once you have finished entering your details, press the arrow to continue and you can now use Viber.Setting your details.
About Using Viber
Viber is quite simple to use once you get the hang of it. Below we will point out the main screens and features to get you on your way. Just swipe left and right to switch between any of the main screens.
- 1Here you will see all your Viber contacts on your phone. If any of your contacts are not showing here, you will need to get that person to install Viber on their device. To message or call a contact, simply tap their name and you will be given the option to free call or free text them.Contacts.
- 2Once you are already messaging a contact, you will have the option to send emoticons, send pictures from your phone, or add other contacts to the conversation.Messaging contacts and advanced features.
- To add another contact to the conversation just tap the "Expand" button at the bottom and press "Add participants". From the expanded menu you can also add the conversation to your start screen for quick access; just press "Pin to start". You can also swipe to the right of the main messaging view at any time to view what contacts are currently in the conversation.
- 3From the conversations screen you can see any active conversations that you have with individuals or groups. Just tap on any "Conversation" here to go to see your messages.Conversations.
From any main screen (contacts, conversations or call history) you can access the settings menu. Just press the "Expand" button at the bottom of the screen to access settings.
- 1This menu allows you to change the name and contact picture that you first setup when using Viber.You.Advertisement
- 2This menu shows you information about the version of Viber currently installed.About.
- 3This menu allows you to change the way Viber gives you notifications as well as clearing your message history and restoring default settings.Options.
- 4Here you are given the option to select a background for your main screens and conversations. Currently you cannot use custom backgrounds, but there are a few default ones to select from.Background Gallery.
- 5These options will let you message any of your regular contacts by SMS or email to let them know you are using Viber and ask that they install the app.Invite by SMS and Invite by email.
- 6With your permission, the App can post to Facebook on your behalf to share your Viber experience.Share on Facebook.
- 7Post a tweet about your Viber experience.Tweet.
- 9If at any time you want to stop using Viber and remove your information, this option will allow you to deactivate your account on this device.Deactivate Viber.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- Make sure you pin Viber to your start screen, or you might miss out on notifications. The live tile will update as any messages come through.
- As with any messaging app, calls and texts will still use your data. If you are on a data plan, keep track of your data. It's always best to make calls from a WiFi connection (this will also provide the best voice quality).
- Using messaging apps like Viber can reduce your battery faster than usual. Back out of the app when you are not using it, rather than going straight to your start screen. You will still receive notifications, even if the app is not open.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Application
Recent edits by: Eng, Lynn, Batkingnz