Use Thyme As a Lung Expectorant
Edited by Ian Gabriel T. Tolledo, Robbi, Lynn, Eng and 2 others
Not only is coughing disgusting, but it is also an annoying, irritating thing we have to deal with, especially during the winter months when cold and flu season is upon us. Herbs like thyme can help a cough by thinning phlegm and making it easier to expel mucus from our throat and lungs. Who says effective medicine only comes from pricey, conventional medicines?
- 1 What's in Thyme For Me?
- 2 What is an Expectorant?
- 3 How To Use Thyme As Lung Expectorant
- 4 Thyme Inhalation
- 5 Thyme Cough Syrup
- 6 Tips, Tricks, and Warnings
- 7 Questions and Answers
- 8 Comments
What's in Thyme For Me?
Thyme (Thymus vulgaris) is a potent antiviral, anti-fungal, and antibacterial herb.
It can be used to treat various conditions of our respiratory tract which includes flu, colds, bronchitis, sinus infections, whooping cough and even asthma.
- 1Thyme is very effective for dry/wet cough, as it has expectorant and antitussive actions which reduces phlegm and makes phlegm thinner.Advertisement
- 2The oil in thyme, which is called thymol, is the key ingredient in making it one of the most powerful expectorants for treating the common cold, cough, sore throat and bronchitis.Advertisement
- 3Wild thyme teas are highly recommended for coughs, flu, hangovers, sore throat, and most of all, congestion in the chest.Thyme tea (infusion).
What is an Expectorant?
Simply put, an expectorant is a medication that can help treat coughs and expel mucus, along with other material from our lungs, bronchi, and trachea. It does that by reducing/thinning the mucus that lines and blocks the air pipes leading to our lungs. Obviously, thinner mucus is easier to cough up.
- 1Some are expectorant and others are suppressants.Some people mistakenly think that all cough medicines are used as expectorants.Advertisement
- Expectorants will thin the mucus and expel phlegm.
- Suppressants will prevent or suppress coughing. They are useful for dry, hacking coughs.
How To Use Thyme As Lung Expectorant
Thyme is primarily used for respiratory ailments because of its cough suppression and infection-fighting qualities.
- 1To make an infusion (tea) from Thyme, you will need the following ingredients:Advertisement
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- A cup of warm water
- Squeeze of lemon
- Simply infuse (steep) all the ingredients in a cup of warm water and cover for about a minute. Slowly sip it and feel it going through and around your throat.
Thyme can be inhaled for the same symptoms.
- 1You'll need:
- Glass bowl
- 1 tbsp. of thyme oil
- Boiling water
- Put about 2 cups of boiling water into a glass bowl.
- Add 2-3 drops of thyme oil.
- Keep your airways open as you breathe in the hot steamy air coming from it.
- It works better if you put a towel over your head to funnel the steam in.
CAUTION: There have been countless children burned by the procedure. Make sure you have this well out of the way of little hands.
Thyme Cough Syrup
To make couch syrup, you'll need:
- 1 cup dried thyme
- Boiling water
- 1 cup of honey
- A funnel
- a glass jar with a lid
- 1Boil 2 cups of water.
- 2You can use a bowl, or teacup or large measuring cup.Pour the water over the cup of dried thyme.
- 3Let the water cool for ten minutes.
- 4Put a square of cheesecloth into the funnel.
- 5Strain the liquid through the funnel lined with cheesecloth.
#Add 1 cup of honey.
- 6Pour into a clean glass container and put the lid on.
- 7Store in the refrigerator.
- 8three times daily.Shake thoroughly before every use and only take 1 tbsp.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks, and Warnings
- NEVER take oil of thyme without diluting it. Concentrated - it is toxic!!!
- ALWAYS make sure you are using a plant that has never been sprayed with pesticides. You need to use organic thyme.
- Extended use of thyme can cause upset stomach and can cause dizziness and headaches.
- Breastfeeding and pregnant women should consult their doctor before considering thyme as a treatment.
- If you don't find tea or cough syrup made from thyme appealing, you can try taking it in supplement form. Here's an online source for it: Thyme Capsules
Questions and Answers
Can thyme cure vaginal infections?
If a lady has infectious discharges from the vagina. Can she use thyme as a bathing liquid and sit in the infused thyme for healing it?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Lung expectorant alternatives?
There are a lot of herbs that can be found in some herbal gardens that can be used as alternatives for expectorant. You can check this list it is all used for congestion.
- Angelica archangelica
- Pimpinella anisum
- Styrax benzoin
- Trillium erectum
- Cimicifuga racemosa
- Sanguinaria canadensis L
- Melaleuca leucadendron, M. leucadendra
There are many more. You can find lots of them and information's about them in some books or on the internet.
If I don't have fresh or dried thyme can I use what is sold in stores in the spice aisle?
Thyme tea to relieve chest phlegm. I have tried: Anything over the counter, I think it was caused by: Cleaning laundry room and the dryer
Only use the thyme sold in grocery stores if it is ORGANIC. Ask around. Some of your friends may grow it in their gardens...just make sure theirs is organic as well.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Thyme Usage & Benefits
Recent edits by: Alma, Eng, Lynn