Use Quinoa As Cake Batter Base
Edited by Laura Smith, Jaheim Martin, Alma, Maria and 2 others
Quinoa has been around for Centuries, but recently it has become quite a prominent dish on many tables across the world. It is a protein packed Super Grain that is also Gluten Free. Using it in baking gives a healthier option than using flour or Gluten Free flour blends.
You will need:
- 12 cups of cooked and cooled Quinoa.Advertisement
- 21/3 cup milk.Advertisement
- 33/4 cup butter.
- 44 eggs.
- 5Choose whichever works best for you and your familySugar (1 and 1/2 cup), Honey (1 cup),Stevia (1 and 1/2 cups), or Real Maple Syrup (1/3 cup).
- 61 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
- 71/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
- 81/2 teaspoon salt.
Options for Flavors
- Chocolate- Add 1 cup of cocoa powder or two melted squares of unsweetened baking chocolate
- Carrot- Add 1 cup of shredded carrots with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon cloves and the optional chopped nuts such as walnuts.
- Strawberry- 1 cup fresh or thawed strawberries. You would blend them and add them to the batter.
- Lemon- 1 Tablespoon of lemon zest and 1 and 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1Blend the Quinoa in your blender or Nutri Bullet with 1/3 cup milk, 3/4 cup butter that has been melted and cooled and four eggs.Advertisement
- 2At this time you can sweeten the batter to your liking by adding it to a mixing bowl with either sugar (1 and 1/2 cup), honey (1 cup), Stevia (1 and 1/2 cups) or Real Maple Syrup (1/3 cup).The batter will then be a thick base.
- 3Sift 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt together and add it to your sweetened batter.
- 4At this time you can add 1 teaspoon vanilla or other flavoring extract depending on what flavor of cake you desire.
All of the cake option are baked in a preheated oven of 350 degrees F.
- 1Grease the pan liberallyAdvertisement
- 2For bundt pan, bake for 38-45 minutes.
- 3For two medium size springform/cake pans, bake for 28 to 35 minutes
- 4A cooked cake will have an almost clean toothpick or knife when you do a poke test.Always do a test with a toothpick or knife before removing the cake from the oven.Advertisement
- This batter can also be used as a pancake batter.
- Make sure to refrigerate any uneaten portions of this cake.
- For portion control you can cut and freeze single portions of this cake.
- This cake is super moist! Allow it to completely cool before cutting into it or dividing it for filling.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Desserts
Recent edits by: Eng, Maria, Alma