Use Quinoa As Cake Batter Base
Edited by Laura Smith, Jaheim Martin, Alma, Maria and 2 others
Quinoa has been around for Centuries, but recently it has become quite a prominent dish on many tables across the world. It is a protein packed Super Grain that is also Gluten Free. Using it in baking gives a healthier option than using flour or Gluten Free flour blends.
You will need:
- 12 cups of cooked and cooled Quinoa.Advertisement
- 21/3 cup milk.Advertisement
- 33/4 cup butter.
- 44 eggs.
- 5Sugar (1 and 1/2 cup), Honey (1 cup),Stevia (1 and 1/2 cups), or Real Maple Syrup (1/3 cup).Choose whichever works best for you and your family
- 61 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
- 71/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
- 81/2 teaspoon salt.
Options for Flavors
- Chocolate- Add 1 cup of cocoa powder or two melted squares of unsweetened baking chocolate
- Carrot- Add 1 cup of shredded carrots with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon cloves and the optional chopped nuts such as walnuts.
- Strawberry- 1 cup fresh or thawed strawberries. You would blend them and add them to the batter.
- Lemon- 1 Tablespoon of lemon zest and 1 and 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1Blend the Quinoa in your blender or Nutri Bullet with 1/3 cup milk, 3/4 cup butter that has been melted and cooled and four eggs.Advertisement
- 2The batter will then be a thick base.At this time you can sweeten the batter to your liking by adding it to a mixing bowl with either sugar (1 and 1/2 cup), honey (1 cup), Stevia (1 and 1/2 cups) or Real Maple Syrup (1/3 cup).
- 3Sift 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt together and add it to your sweetened batter.
- 4At this time you can add 1 teaspoon vanilla or other flavoring extract depending on what flavor of cake you desire.
All of the cake option are baked in a preheated oven of 350 degrees F.
- 1Grease the pan liberallyAdvertisement
- 2For bundt pan, bake for 38-45 minutes.
- 3For two medium size springform/cake pans, bake for 28 to 35 minutes
- 4Always do a test with a toothpick or knife before removing the cake from the oven.A cooked cake will have an almost clean toothpick or knife when you do a poke test.Advertisement
- This batter can also be used as a pancake batter.
- Make sure to refrigerate any uneaten portions of this cake.
- For portion control you can cut and freeze single portions of this cake.
- This cake is super moist! Allow it to completely cool before cutting into it or dividing it for filling.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Desserts
Recent edits by: Eng, Maria, Alma