Use Mangosteens for Treating Various Health Problems
Edited by Ermin, Lynn, Eng, babe and 20 others
As we all know, fruits and vegetables are full of minerals and nutrients which are beneficial to our health. Almost all of them contribute a lot to the treatment for some ailments and diseases. Read on to find out more about the benefits of mangosteens. You may have heard of these fruits before, but do you know how beneficial mangosteens are?
- 1 What are mangosteens?
- 2 Studies and Claims about Mangosteens: How effective are the fruits?
- 3 Health Benefits of Mangosteens
- 4 Uses of Mangosteens
- 5 Tips & Warnings
- 6 References:
- 7 Questions and Answers
- 7.1 What does Mangosteen tea consist of?
- 7.2 Can mangosteen tea cure illnesses like, prostate enlargement, diabetes, arthritis and heart ailment?
- 7.3 Do you think mangosteen tea can help my wife get pregnant easily?
- 7.4 I have a solid hypoechoic nodule at my left breast and subject for biopsy, can I use the mangosteen skin of the fruit to boil and drink? is this process can help on this? Thanks?
- 7.5 Can mangosteen oil can treat eczema?
- 7.6 Can this fruit be used in liver tumor as a treatment?
- 7.7 Can an elderly woman with heart disease and indigestion take mangosteen to remedy her problem? juice?
- 7.8 Good day/good evening to you sir. I have a question about the mangosteen. My question is: mangosteen herbal capsule is it good to treat my toxic goiter?.Thank you from Mhai of Philippines?
- 7.9 Hi! I have cyst lump in my right breast. It was mammogram last March 7 ,2015 , the doctor said to be operated / the oncologist said so small so I am hesitant. I resort to mangosteen tea, only for the first time last August 22, 2015 but I did the wrong procedure, I boiled the mangosteen without peeling, and I almost vomit. Now I read and researched, that the exocarp is inedible!!! Please help me, is really the rind good for some illness like mine? Thank you
- 7.10 My husband is a diabetic. How much tea should he intake in 1 day?
- 7.11 In preparing natural in one cup of water how many rind of mangosteen?
- 7.12 I'm just finding data cause I'm making my research proposal can you help me?
- 7.13 Is there any home remedies for breast reduction?
- 7.14 If I drink this juice can it cure fibroid?
- 7.15 Sir, I am a student at St. Alexius College. I badly need your help. We want to make a thesis about mangosteen wherein used as a cure for Alzheimer's disease. Is it really possible sir? please do respond
- 7.16 My brother has an ulcerated tumor because he has malignant melanomas, can we dress the wound with mangosteen juice?
- 7.17 How to take this product for say, mouth cancer or lung cancer?
- 7.18 Will boiling reduce the xanthones?
- 7.19 My aunt had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, can she take mangosteen tea? She is not into chemotherapy, but only taking this herbal medicines like guyabano?
- 8 Referencing this Article
- 9 Comments
What are mangosteens?
Mangosteens, the queen of the tropical fruits, are naturally cultivated in Southeast Asia. Mangosteens are also called purple mangosteens, but they are simply known as mangosteens throughout the world. The scientific name of the fruit is Garcinia mangostana, and they grow on a tropical evergreen tree that is native to the Moluccas of Indonesia and the Sunda Islands. You can find an abundance of mangosteens in the said locations. In Southeast Asia, they are naturally grown in the region, and Asian people have been using mangosteens for different purposes. Moreover, mangosteens can be bought at supermarkets and groceries. In North America, mangosteens are rarely found and marketed, but in South America, the fruits are mainly found in Colombia and Puerto Rico.
Mangosteens are tangy, juicy, and sweet. The skin's color is purple and becomes deep reddish violet when ripe. The endocarp is edible, which means that the flesh surrounding the seeds inside can be eaten. The exocarp or the outside flesh is inedible, so it needs to be peeled off before using the fruits. The fruits are fibrous, meaning they are fiber-containing fruits. Fiber is good for the digestive tract, as well as the cardiovascular system. The pulps or seeds are white in color and are edible. The fruits have similar inner construction to oranges. When opening a mangosteen fruit, you can use a knife to slice the fruit, and make sure you don't slice the seeds inside, so that you can see how wonderfully they are segmented.
At supermarkets or groceries, mangosteens can also be found in juice form. The products include the rind, pulps, and fruits of the mangosteens during processing. Supplements or capsules as well as powder-based mangosteens can also be bought at your local drugstore or supermarket. The fruits are known to have rich active compound called xanthones. Mangosteens are the only fruits that contain rich sources of xanthones. This compound is among the most effective antioxidants, which means it is stronger and more potent compared to vitamins C and E. A mangosteen alone has already over 40 xanthones. It consists of alpha-mangostin which serves as an antioxidant, gamma-mangostin which serves as an anti-inflammatory agent, and garcinone E which serves as an anti-tumor property �" these are all found in one mangosteen fruit. The xanthones in mangosteens may also help treat some diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease.
Studies and Claims about Mangosteens: How effective are the fruits?
In the "Journal of Medicinal Food", which was published in 2009, researchers conducted a clinical study and trial for 59 healthy adults as subjects to the experiment. Some were given a placebo, while the others were given a mangosteen. In 30 days, researchers claimed that those who took mangosteens had boosted their immune system even more, compared to those who only took a placebo. In addition to the boosting of the immune system, mangosteens had also reduced the risk of C-reactive proteins, which are markers of inflammation and cardiovascular diseases.
Some people believed that mangosteens are beneficial in treating cancerous diseases. There are claims that mangosteens can reduce the risk of cancer because their anti-tumor properties. However, based on the report from the "Journal of the Society for Interactive Oncology" published in 2006, researchers claimed that those who have cancer should take precautions before eating mangosteens or taking mangosteen supplements, because there are substances in the fruits that can interact with blood sugar levels and cancer treatments or medications.
On the contrary, A Japanese report, which was published in July 2009, claimed that the alpha-mangostin and other xanthones compounds can reduce the risk of cancer-type diseases. The Japanese researchers of "The University of the Ryukyus" concluded that mangosteens can help prevent the growth of tumors because of the xanthones compounds. In addition to that, the Taiwanese researchers also claimed that the garcinone E can promote programmed cell death, otherwise known as apoptosis. This means that the mangosteens can induce termination of cancer cells in the body.
Because of the various claims above, you should take precautions before eating mangosteens, as they could interact with the medicines you are taking. You should consult your doctor first, before using any alternative medications.
Health Benefits of Mangosteens
Apart from the aforementioned studies and claims about mangosteens, you can fully equip yourself with a lot more knowledge about mangosteens and their health benefits here. The conditions below are among the issues that mangosteens can help prevent:
- 1Mangosteens are believed to be effective in treating acne. Based on the clinical study conducted in Thailand, researchers studied the efficacy of the rinds of mangosteens. The premature rind of mangosteen has higher levels of tannins and phenolics as well as antioxidant properties, while the mature rind of mangosteen has richer sources of flavonoids compared to the young rind of mangosteen. It was thought that the mature rind with higher levels of flavonoids was better at treating acne. In traditional medicine, people used a rind decoction and applied it to their faces. Today, people opt to take mangosteen supplements to treat their acne, because making a rind decoction takes time to prepare.Acne.Advertisement
- 2Some researchers claim that the active compounds found in mangosteens can prevent any various forms of cancer. The Japanese, Thailanders, and Taiwanese researchers had proven the efficacy of mangosteens in treating and preventing any kinds of cancer. However, although these researchers had studied the health benefits of mangosteens, some researchers across the globe warned the patients who have a cancer about the interaction of active properties found in mangosteens with the medications they are taking.Cancer-type diseases.Advertisement
- 3Xanthones of mangosteens can help prevent cardiovascular diseases. Researchers from "The University of Pharmacology at Central South University in China" claimed that xanthones compounds could act as helpful agents for preventing cardiovascular diseases, such as heart attack. The subjects of their experiments were treated with xanthones, and they concluded that the compounds could actually improve cardiac function and decrease the risk of cardiac damage and heart attack after days of treatment.Heart disease.
- 4As we all know, mangosteens have gamma-mangostin which serves as an anti-inflammatory agent. This agent can help reduce inflammation in the body. Inflammatory diseases include acne vulgaris, asthma, Alzheimer's, atherosclerosis, dermatitis, Parkinson's, hepatitis, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel diseases, colitis, autoimmune diseases, etc. You may want to take mangosteen supplements or drink mangosteen herbal drinks to reduce your inflammation.Inflammation.
Other diseases or ailments that mangosteen can help prevent or reduce the risk:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Chronic pain
- Chronic ulcers
- Abdominal pain
- And many more
Uses of Mangosteens
The rinds of the mangosteens can be used for treating some ailments like acne. These can be used for decoction. Boiling the rinds with water in a pot and applying the liquid to the affected skin is thought to be effective. Sometimes, a rind decoction is used for making a tea. The liquid is drunk to reduce inflammation within the body. Some people opt to take supplements rather than to make alternative medicines at home, because they can just take the supplements twice or thrice daily, or as advised by their doctors. In addition to that choice, mangosteen supplements are processed medically with the right dose to be consumed. However, some opt to make homemade mangosteen teas or juices to drink, because they believe that the active properties found in mangosteens are a lot more effective when processed from home. If you believe this, then you may want to make some for yourself by following the instructions below:
Steps to make a homemade mangosteen tea:
Because xanthones mainly reside in rinds of mangosteens, you should not throw them away after eating the seeds. Reserve them for making a mangosteen tea. Here are the steps to make one:
- 1Wash the mangosteen fruits.Advertisement
- 2Eat the seeds because they have the same health benefits and minerals as the rinds.
- 3Peel the mangosteens.
- 4You can also dip the rinds in sodium metabisulfite solution (0.12 percent) to avoid browning the skin and terminate germs, insects, and spoilage organisms.Dry the mangosteen rinds for a day.
- 5Bring water to a boil and add the rinds.
- 6Add honey to taste, after boiling.
- 7Serve and enjoy!
If fresh mangosteens are hard to find in your place, you can buy a mangosteen rind powder instead, to make herbal tea. They are processed thoroughly and rightly for people who want to be healthy through drinking mangosteen teas.
Steps to make a homemade mangosteen juice:
Making a tea every day can be quite boring, so you can also try making a mangosteen juice. Here are the steps and ingredients you need below:
- 1(This recipe serves one person only.)Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp. of sugar
- Ice cubes
- 300 ml chilled water
- 1 lemon
- 4 fresh mangosteen fruits
- A spoon
- A blender
- A knife
- A juice jar
- Cut the lemon first into two halves. Squeeze them into a glass and reserve for later.
- Slice each mangosteen fruit from the middle and slide the knife around the fruit. You should not cut them into half or from the top to the bottom, as you can destroy the inner seeds of the mangosteen. In fact, you will use the white seeds for making a juice.
- Scoop out the white seeds, add them to the blender and blend thoroughly.
- Get your juice jar and pour water into it.
- Add the sugar and stir them well.
- Add the mangosteen paste into the jar - the one you make through a blender.
- Add lemon juice into the jar and stir them again and thoroughly. Make sure that you will add a generous amount of lemon juice first, because the taste may become tangy if you add a lot of lemon juice. You may not be going to like the taste. If the taste is OK, then you do not have to add more into it.
- Add the ice cubes. Serve and enjoy your homemade mangosteen juice!
Tips & Warnings
- It is already proven effective by some researchers across the globe that mangosteens can prevent any forms of cancer. It can also reduce inflammation that may result in other diseases, like rheumatoid disease, asthma, and acne vulgaris. However, if you are taking modern medications, you should consult your doctor first about eating or taking mangosteens, as the active substances in them can interact with the substances in the medications you are taking.
- Take note that not only can the seeds and rinds of mangosteens be eaten and used for medicinal purposes, but the leaves, fruit juice, barks, and even twigs can be used, as well.
- There is not enough reliable information about whether mangosteens are safe to take or use during breastfeeding or pregnancy, so you should not take any medicines or herbal supplements unless directed by your doctor.
- Mangosteens are queens of the tropical fruits and are also called super fruits, because of their rich sources of xanthones, an active compound that can prevent cancer-type diseases.
Questions and Answers
What does Mangosteen tea consist of?
Mangosteen tea is mostly composed of the mangosteen's most prominent compound, known as xanthones. Xanthones have very potent antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-tumor properties. Mangosteens are also high in potassium, as well, which can help with muscle control and nerve function. Other nutrients, like Vitamin C, magnesium, and iron are present in mangosteen tea, as well.
Can mangosteen tea cure illnesses like, prostate enlargement, diabetes, arthritis and heart ailment?
Cause I'm suffering from such ailment
The xanthones in mangosteen will reduce swelling in an enlarged prostate as well as the swelling associated with arthritis. For diabetes, mangosteen help in reducing the blood glucose levels of our bodies. If you are using mangosteen to reduce sugar levels in your blood, use the tea. Mangosteen juice is often loaded with extra white sugar to improve taste. Heart ailments can be reduced with mangosteens because they contain antioxidants. Mangosteens are also shown to reduce bad cholesterol in our arteries.
Do you think mangosteen tea can help my wife get pregnant easily?
My wife is already 38 years old. She faces difficulties getting pregnant. She just started drinking mangosteen tea at night.
Mangosteen has been used to help shrink fibroids in the uterus. It has the antioxidants that Red Raspberry Tea does which help in toning the uterine wall. If it takes longer than one year for her to get pregnant, seek the advice of a Reproductive Endocrinologist. These medical professionals will assess what is causing the delay in becoming pregnant.
I have a solid hypoechoic nodule at my left breast and subject for biopsy, can I use the mangosteen skin of the fruit to boil and drink? is this process can help on this? Thanks?
How to use Mangosteen fruit skin as tea?
Yes, this is one of the best ways to make a "tea". You should also look into Dandelion Root. There is a study happening right now at The University of Windsor which located in Windsor, Ontario regarding using Dandelion Root to shrink tumors. There is also a study using Cannabis to target breast cancer cells. The study showed that injecting THC, caused the cells to shrink or disappear.
Can mangosteen oil can treat eczema?
I'm searching for fruits that can cure eczema.
Mangosteen fruit or oil is not a cure for eczema. There is actually no cure for eczema even with medicine, so there are no fruits to cure eczema. As a supplement, mangosteens can help to heal up faster. If taken with prescribed medicine, the fruit can speed up the healing process as fast as a few hours instead of a month. Some people even reported decreasing dosages of medicine with mangosteens (1 fruit per day). Some of the research revealed that xanthones (antioxidants) that are contained in mangosteens will gradually increase resistance to allergens. which means that resorting to the help of mangosteen oil or fruit will increase its healing effect over time. Applying mangosteen oil that has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects to the skin can also help speed up the healing process. Please note that there are as many neutral effects from the fruit: some people also noted no change at all when eating mangosteens or applying oils.
Can this fruit be used in liver tumor as a treatment?
I am sick from liver tumor, Doctors advises me to transplant the liver.
While it can help, you will still need a liver transplant. To optimize a healthy Outlook, detoxify your body by eating a "cleanly" as you can with our daily foods. Avoid sugar and carbohydrates. Cut out alcohol completely if you have not done so already. The liver is an organ in our body that regenerates with growth, so a live donor is possible if they are a match for you. As with all transplants, there is a risk of rejection so you will want to make sure that your body is in the best shape you can get it before the transplant.
Can an elderly woman with heart disease and indigestion take mangosteen to remedy her problem? juice?
This woman has been suffering for a long time and she sometimes skips meals because of indigestion and her heart pumps so fast and she feels restless. Please advise.
Here are some VisiHow articles regarding treatment of indigestion:
- Use Cinnamon As a Digestive Aid
- Improve Digestion and Bowel Function with Coconut
- Make a Simple Acidity Relieving Drink
If you do decide to use mangosteen to help her indigestion, make sure that the product is caffeine free because of her heart palpitations. You should also look into the benefits of meditation to control your heart rate.
Good day/good evening to you sir. I have a question about the mangosteen. My question is: mangosteen herbal capsule is it good to treat my toxic goiter?.Thank you from Mhai of Philippines?
Is it okay if I take mangosteen herbal capsule with my medication of my toxic goiter?
Capsule form is better than nothing but usually not as potent when referring to mangosteens. They also contain unnecessary other ingredients. Look into getting dried peel/bark tea if you can't get fresh mangosteens.
Hi! I have cyst lump in my right breast. It was mammogram last March 7 ,2015 , the doctor said to be operated / the oncologist said so small so I am hesitant. I resort to mangosteen tea, only for the first time last August 22, 2015 but I did the wrong procedure, I boiled the mangosteen without peeling, and I almost vomit. Now I read and researched, that the exocarp is inedible!!! Please help me, is really the rind good for some illness like mine? Thank you
Is the rind of mangosteen good for the treatment cyst?
The rind is good for breast cancer because of the antioxidants. Still, if your oncologist is recommended removal then you should seriously consider it. Breast cancer is a form that spreads rapidly into the rest of our body because of our lymphatic system.
My husband is a diabetic. How much tea should he intake in 1 day?
I am making a tea out of mangosteen rind, and I don't know if it has a dosage to taking it.
He can have one cup 30 minutes before each meal. This will help with the insulin effects from foods during digestion. Research Intermittent Fasting and what it does for Type 2 diabetes. Back in the early 1900's the medical profession would treat diabetes with fasting regimens.
In preparing natural in one cup of water how many rind of mangosteen?
In preparing natural in one cup of water how many rind of mangosteen
This depends on how strong you want the tea to be. You should use the whole rind per three cups of water.
I'm just finding data cause I'm making my research proposal can you help me?
I'm working on the background of my study and don't know what to do
The internet is an amazing tool to do research. Just be cautious of where you get your information. There are numerous websites created just to promote a product they are trying to sell. Research from published medical studies as much as possible.
Is there any home remedies for breast reduction?
I have big breasts I wish to make it small through home remedy can you please suggest me some tips
Weight loss is one of the only ways to reduce breast size without surgery. Many insurance providers now cover a breast reduction because of the back problems it can cause. See if you are covered for the procedure if you are experiencing back pain.
If I drink this juice can it cure fibroid?
If I use this juice can it shrink uterus fibroid?
There has been a study that says that fibroids were reduced when participants used mangosteens in their daily diet. It is certainly worth a try for you.
See more questions like this: Hi, I would like to know if the juice can help shrink the fibroid?
Sir, I am a student at St. Alexius College. I badly need your help. We want to make a thesis about mangosteen wherein used as a cure for Alzheimer's disease. Is it really possible sir? please do respond
Our study will be used as a thesis in our school. I wanted to confirm if it is possible to be used as a cure for Alzheimer. Please sir. We need your help sir.
Anything is possible as research for curing Alzheimers. There are numerous studies being conducted using a variety of natural ingredients. Look into how Coconut oil benefits those suffering from Alzheimers.
My brother has an ulcerated tumor because he has malignant melanomas, can we dress the wound with mangosteen juice?
Can somebody with ulcerated tumor use mangosteen juice to dress the wound. I have tried: My brother has been taking mangosteen for 2 weeks. I think it was caused by: Cancer
You could, however, make sure that it is as sterile a source as you can get. You do not want to introduce an infection. In a medical setting, only saline/distilled water is used on a dressing.
How to take this product for say, mouth cancer or lung cancer?
What would be a good daily dosage of Mangosteen Powder to kill diseases, such as cancer and gum disease?. I have tried: I just take herbs
Try to get as fresh a source as you possibly can. You should also look into juicing fresh cannabis leaves. You would get the benefits of the THC's power to shrink cancer cells in tumors without a high. It would need to be in raw form and not cooked. Also, consider using Dandelion Root tea.
Will boiling reduce the xanthones?
I have primary liver cancer growth and after RFA and TASE, the tumor keep coming back. We have abandon of mangosteen in our tropical country. The question is will boiling the rind destroy totally or partially reduce the xanthones ratio.. I have tried: I am yet trying to drink it.
Somewhat but not to the level of boiling other fruits or leaves. If you are worried about boiling the tea, try chewing on the rind as if it was a piece of gum.
My aunt had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, can she take mangosteen tea? She is not into chemotherapy, but only taking this herbal medicines like guyabano?
Can she take mangosteen tea, capsule or coffee, for cancer treatment and prevention?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Use Mangosteens for Treating Various Health Problems. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 30, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Use_Mangosteens_for_Treating_Various_Health_Problems
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Use Mangosteens for Treating Various Health Problems." VisiHow, visihow.com/Use_Mangosteens_for_Treating_Various_Health_Problems Accessed 30 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Use Mangosteens for Treating Various Health Problems." Accessed May 30, 2017. http://visihow.com/Use_Mangosteens_for_Treating_Various_Health_Problems.
Categories : Holistic Nutrition
Recent edits by: Maria, ken tan, VisiHow