Use Line for Free Text and Voice Calls on Windows Phone 8
Edited by Batkingnz, Lynn, Eng, Nuance
Line is a free Windows Phone 8 application that lets you instant message and make free calls using your data connection or WiFi network. While Line doesn't offer features that other messaging apps have, it's one of the most popular apps in Asia and the Pacific with over 280 million users. So if you have friends abroad using Line or if you just want to try something new with your friends at home, keep reading to learn all about Line messenger.
What You Need
- A Windows Phone running Windows Phone 8.
- The phone should be connected to a cellular network to activate Line.
- A data or WiFi connection for sending messages and making voice calls.
What Can I Do With Line?
- Automatically search your phone contacts and add them to your Line contacts.
- Free instant messaging and voice calls.
- Share your location in messages as well as pictures from your phone.
- Group messaging.
- Works with your data plan or WiFi connection.
- Line is available on all of the major mobile platforms so you won't have problems getting your friends onto this application.
To get started you will need to install the app.
- 1If you've removed the icon, just swipe right to the apps list to locate the store.Visit the store from your Windows phone start screen.Advertisement
- 2Use the search function to locate Line.Advertisement
- 3Open the first result from the publisher "LINE Corporation" and press "Install", accepting any permissions that the app requires to run.
- 4Now is a good time to add a live tile for Line to your start screen. Just long press the app icon and select "Pin to Start". You can then open Line.When the install is complete, you will be taken to the installed location on your apps menu.
First Time Setup
Like most messaging apps, Line requires a first-time setup using your phone number and an activation code. Enter your phone number when prompted and the activation code will be sent to you in an SMS. You can then enter the code and begin using the application.
Line is divided into main screens that you can swipe left and right to switch between. Messaging, calling and managing contacts can be managed from these screens. Read on below to find out how.
- 1Messaging and calling can be initiated from the friends screen or the "Chats" screen. Tapping any contact from the friends screen will bring up the menu to start chatting or make a free call. If you already have a chat open, it will show on the "Chats Screen" where you can also tap to continue chatting or initiate a call.Messaging and calling.
- 2Your contacts can be viewed from the "Friends" screen, but you will need to add them here first. Contacts are added automatically but first you need to enable the feature.Managing contacts.
- Tap the "Expand" menu at the top of the "Friends" screen (the three horizontal dots) and select "Friend Manager". Tap "Auto Add Friends". Enabling "Auto Add Friends" allows you to auto add friends, and allows them to auto add you.
- You can also add your friends to the "Favorites" screen. To do this, just long press on any contact from the Friends screen and select "Add to favorites".
- If you want to manually add friends that aren't already using "Line", you can invite them from the "Add Friends" screen. Just swipe to the "Add Friends" screen and select "Invite" from the expanded menu. You can invite by email or regular SMS.
- Pinning friends to the start screen. One handy feature of Line is having your friends available from your start screen. This means you can go straight to their contact page to initiate calls and chats without even opening "Line". To pin a friend, simply long press that contact from the "Friends" screen and select "Pin to Start".
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- Line is popular with users because it's simple and lightweight. If it's a bare bones, yet functional messaging and calling app you're looking for, then Line is an obvious choice.
- With a lack of social networking elements, Line is a safer choice for teenagers sending messages and calling free, from their Windows Phone.
- Line will notify you of messages, even when it's not open, so be sure to back out of the app when it's not in use. This will help to conserve your battery.
- Even though Line is free to use, you will still pay for any cellular data used. When making voice calls, try to use a WiFi network.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Use Line for Free Text and Voice Calls on Windows Phone 8. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Use_Line_for_Free_Text_and_Voice_Calls_on_Windows_Phone_8
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Use Line for Free Text and Voice Calls on Windows Phone 8." VisiHow, visihow.com/Use_Line_for_Free_Text_and_Voice_Calls_on_Windows_Phone_8 Accessed 27 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Use Line for Free Text and Voice Calls on Windows Phone 8." Accessed Apr 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Use_Line_for_Free_Text_and_Voice_Calls_on_Windows_Phone_8.