Use Ginger to Ignite Your Appetite and Help Your Digestive System
Edited by Ermin, Maria, Eng, Lynn and 2 others
Ginger root or underground rhizome is one of the effective herbal medicines for treating digestive problems. For Chinese traditional medicine, and even modern medicine, ginger rhizome is regarded as very effective in curing gastrointestinal distresses, such as flatulence and bloating stomach. This herb has two essential compounds that contribute to the treatment: Intestinal spasmolytic, a substance that relaxes and calms the intestinal tract, and carminative, a substance that reduces flatulence or intestinal gas. With these two properties in ginger rhizome, there is a big chance of curing gastrointestinal and digestive problems. The herb is also known for curing one's poor appetite and reducing abdominal cramps.
If you feel like you have intestinal disorders or poor appetite, ginger is a good herbal medicine. In India and other Asian countries, ginger is used as their daily drinks and ingredients to their meals, because of its incredible health benefits. In this page, you will know some tips on how to prepare ginger for treating loss of appetite and promoting digestive or intestinal issues.
Steps to prepare your own ginger at home
- 1Buy ginger tea bags at your local market.There are variations of this tea, so choose the best that suits your taste. And just like any other teas, drink it two to three times daily.Advertisement
- 2Grind the raw ginger rhizome and sprinkle it with salt.You may eat, lick or chew it once a day. This is effective in treating loss of appetite.Advertisement
- 3Make a homemade ginger tea by peeling the raw ginger rhizome and slicing it into pieces.Boil them with water in a saucepan for few minutes. Remove the heat and pour water into the cup. You may add flavorings like lime and honey to your new cup of ginger homemade tea.
- 4Take a bite of crystallized or candied ginger before eating your meals.This way, you can consume foods and calories easily, which will make you re-energized.
- 5Add ginger rhizome with sweet dishes.They said ginger and sweet foods are great combinations for a unique taste and flavor, although it is usually used and cooked with Asian spicy delicacies. Sweet foods that go well with ginger are ginger snaps, gingerbread cookies, and raspberry-cinnamon torte.
Instructions on how to make a real ginger ale
Ginger ale is an effervescent soft drink containing ginger extract. There are actually some ginger ale drinks that you may find in any supermarket. However, there are times that you are running out of ginger ale, and you can't go out to buy one because your ailment is starting to attack you again. Or, the supermarket is too far from your place that's why you doubt to go. There are no worries anymore because you can now make your own ginger ale. Here's how you can make one:
- 1One cup of sugar (225 g)Advertisement
- 2Two tablespoons of fresh grated ginger rhizome (30 g)
- 3Lemon juice
- 4¼ teaspoon or 1.6 grams of fresh granular baker's yeast
- 5Cool and pure water
- 6One empty bottle, preferably 1 liter
Step-by-step method for making an old-fashioned ginger ale
- 1Add one cup of sugar and ¼ of fresh granular baker's yeast into a bottle.You may use a funnel to add these ingredients into it.
- 2Shake the bottle to mix all the ingredients.
- 3Use a grater to grate the ginger root until you can make two tablespoons of it.
- 4Put the grated ginger into a cup.Measuring cup is a great choice.
- 5Squeeze one lemon to produce juice and add it into the measuring cup with the grated ginger.
- 6Stir the ingredients in the cup and add two glasses of clean water into it.
- 7Add the ingredients with water in the cup into the bottle.
- 8Cap the bottle and shake it thoroughly.This way, it will activate the yeast and keep the carbonation going.
- 9Open the cap again and fill the bottle with fresh, clean and cool water.Don't forget to leave one inch of head space in the bottle. You need to leave room for gases produced during the fermentation.
- 10Turn the bottle upside-down over and over to dissolve the sugar completely.
- 11Store the bottle in a warm temperature for 24 to 48 hours.This enables the yeast to ferment the brew. Be careful not to exceed 48 hours because the increase of alcohol concentration could change the taste greatly, and you may not like to drink it anymore.
- 12Check the bottle to see if the carbonation process is complete.To know this, you will see carbon dioxide around the head space, like what you see in sodas. Another way to know if the process is complete is that you will feel that the bottle is hard to squeeze.
- 13Store the bottle in your refrigerator overnight to chill, once the process is finished.
- 14Twist open the cap slowly because there's a big chance that it will pop, just like with sodas.
- 15This is a healthier alternative than what is available in main stream stores.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Pregnant women should only drink ginger drinks in moderation, because it may cause heartburn. Take note that 2 to 4 grams of ginger per day is not good for pregnant women.
- Do not treat children who are younger than 2 years old with ginger.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Ginger Usage & Benefits
Recent edits by: Alma, Lynn, Eng