Use Emoji on Samsung Galaxy S3
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Reema, Eng, Kirk and 20 others
Whether you've traded your iPhone for an Android device, already have a Samsung Galaxy S3, or just picked up a new Galaxy S5, this article is for you. It covers one of the top things missing from the Galaxy, which is the availability of a native Emoji keyboard.
Some of you may have noticed this on receipt of SMS messages that show blocks of characters you can't read. Others may simply have wanted to send their own Emojis, but been unable to find a free option to do so. Whatever your reasons, this article covers the steps for obtaining Emoji icons on your Samsung Galaxy S3.
- 1 What You'll Need to Install Emoji on Your Samsung Galaxy
- 2 An Overview of Installing Handcent SMS
- 3 How To Install Handcent SMS on Your Samsung
- 4 How to Install the Emoji Pack for Handcent SMS
- 5 How To Use Emoji on Your Samsung Galaxy
- 6 How To Use Emoji on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- 7 How To Find Links for Downloading Emoji fonts
- 8 How To Get More Emoji Apps for Your Samsung Galaxy
- 9 How To Install Emoji Keyboard on the Samsung Galaxy S3
- 10 How To Enable Your Emoji Keyboard:
- 11 How To Use Your Samsung Emoji Keyboard
- 12 How To Replace Fonts on Your Galaxy S3
- 13 How to Enable Emojis on Samsung S3 with Chomp SMS
- 14 How to Enable Emoji on Your Galaxy S3 Stock Keyboard
- 15 How to Enable an Emoji Keyboard on Android 4.2 or Higher
- 16 Tips for Using Emoji on Your Samsung Galaxy S3
- 17 Questions and Answers About Emoji on the Galaxy S3
- 17.1 How to install Emoji fonts on the Samsung Galaxy S3?
- 17.2 How to enable Emoji fonts on your Samsung Galaxy
- 17.3 How come it worked on Twitter but not on Facebook?
- 17.4 How to get Emoji on Twitter and Facebook?
- 17.5 How to make Handcent Emoji plugin work on Samsung S3?
- 17.6 How to disable the Samsung built-in messaging app after installing Handcent SMS?
- 17.7 Can the Samsung Galaxy see Emoji on Facebook?
- 17.8 How to get Emoji to work on Galaxy S3?
- 17.9 How many characters Can a Galaxy S3 send in a text?
- 17.10 How to get Emojis on Samsung with built-in messaging?
- 17.11 Is there any way of seeing iPhone smileys on Samsung?
- 17.12 There are no Emoji icons after I've installed Chomp SMS.
- 17.13 How to post a thumbs up symbol?
- 17.14 How to change the emoticon (smiley) type on my S3?
- 17.15 How to stop Handcent from talking?
- 17.16 SMS inserts an ugly "Emoji" icon when forwarding texts?
- 17.17 How to install ugly Emoji?
- 17.18 How can I avoid duplicate text messages?
- 17.19 I have been charged 35p per emoji?
- 17.20 I have Emoji on my S3 but when I type a smiley it just shows a box. What am I doing wrong?
- 17.21 I am not seeing the Handcent SMS as one of the applications that I can download from the Play Store.
- 17.22 When I downloaded the application it does not appear that it has been downloaded.
- 17.23 I am not seeing the Emoji Keyboard in the Language and Keyboard Settings.
- 17.24 App to use so all iPhone Emojis will be shown on Galaxy S3
- 17.25 How to solve possible issues when installing Emoji for Facebook?
- 17.26 Why didn't Samsung include Emoji Natively on their phones?
- 17.27 Will Emoji sent via the Samsung show up properly on Apple IOS based devices like the iPhone?
- 17.28 I am not able to get the Emoji keyboard working?
- 17.29 How to get the thumbs up on my Samsung Messenger - using an S4?
- 17.30 I'm annoyed because I can't have emoji like everyone else?
- 18 Comments
What You'll Need to Install Emoji on Your Samsung Galaxy
You'll need the following to install an Emoji keyboard on your Samsung device.
Note that using these methods, and some other's we've added to this guide, will let you have access to Emojis. You'll even be able to use them on popular social media platforms, like Facebook, Instagram, Google+, and Twitter. Read on for the details, and if you have any questions, let us know.
- 1What You Need To Install the Handcent SMS App
2What You Need To Install the Chomp SMS App
- Internet Access
- The Free Handcent SMS App
- The Free Handcent Emoji Plugin
3What You Need To Install a Native Emoji Keyboard
- Internet Access
- The Free Chomp SMS App
- Internet Access
- Root Access to Your Device
- The Free ES File Explorer App
- The Free DroidSansFallback.ttf and fallback_fonts.xml files
An Overview of Installing Handcent SMS
One of the easiest solutions to installing Emoji SMS on your Samsung phone is the Handcent SMS App.
We have no affiliation with this app or it's author, other than our own use of it on our phones. This VisiHow article also includes other alternatives for those who prefer another App, but we recommend trying Handcent first. If you don't like it, you can choose from any of the other Apps listed here, including getting more technical and installing Emoji keyboards and fonts manually.
Please Note: Continuously Running Handcent SMS consumes some of your battery life
Although installing Handcent with the SMS pack is an easy solution, it also takes a small toll on your battery life, and a little CPU. This is necessary for it to be able to watch for incoming SMS texts. While this tends to run the battery down a little more than normal, it is worth the trade-off if you're wanting to see or receive Emoji characters often.
How To Install Handcent SMS on Your Samsung
- 1Go to the "Home" menu.2Tap on the Application drawer.3Look for the "Play Store" app icon on your application drawer.4Tap on the "Search" button and input the keywords “Handcent SMS”.5A list of results should show; tap on the first one, "Handcent SMS'.6Tap on "Install".7Wait until the application is completely downloaded.8When installation is complete, go back to your application drawer, and you'll see the icon of "Handcent SMS".9Set Handcent SMS as your default SMS application.
- Open 'Settings'
- Open 'Language and input'
- Select 'Handcent'
- Tap the 'Default Keyboard' option
- Select the 'Handcent Emoji Keyboard'
- Tap on Ok or Done.
How to Install the Emoji Pack for Handcent SMS
You will also need to install the Emoji pack for Handcent SMS. Here are the instructions:
- 1Go to your "Home" menu.2Tap on the application drawer.3Look for the "Play Store App" icon on your Application drawer4Tap on the "Search" button and input the keywords “Handcent Emoji Plugin”.5A list of results should show; tap on the first one, "Handcent Emoji Plugin".6Tap on "Install".7Wait until the application is completely downloaded.8After downloading, the "Handcent Emoji Plugin", the add-on pack should automatically install and be incorporated into "Handcent SMS".
How To Use Emoji on Your Samsung Galaxy
- 1Go to your phone's Home menu.2Tap on the application drawer.3Look for the "Handcent SMS" icon on your application drawer.4Tap on it and the application should open.5Make a new SMS.6When you want to add an Emoji, tap on the "Menu" button (left soft button).7Handcent Setting SMS should show.8Tap on "Insert Smiley".9You will be shown three options:
10Tap on "Emoji".11
- Standard Smileys
How To Use Emoji on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
So now you may be excited to have Emoji on your Samsung Galaxy, but you're still wanting more. If you want to use Emoji (Emoticons) on Facebook, Instagram, Google+, Twitter, or other applications and webpages (in other words, EVERYWHERE, even if those applications or platforms normally don't support Emoji), then follow these instructions.
- 1Download two files, named “DroidSansFallback.ttf” and “fallback_fonts.xml”, on your Android device.They can be downloaded from anywhere. Simply, search through Google for it. For instance, download the first file from this link.2Open the Google Play Store and download the Free "ES File Explorer" App.Though Root Explorer is a better alternative, it costs $3.99 on the Google Play Store at the time of this article. So, if you'd rather go with the free option, we recommend "ES File Explorer".3Open "ES File Explorer", and enable root explorer by navigating to the settings.4Put the “DroidSansFallback.ttf” and “fallback_fonts.xml” files you downloaded in the first step on your SD card.5Using "ES File Explorer", navigate to the “DroidSansFallback.ttf” file.6Long press the "DroidSansFallback.ttf" file, and choose “Move to”.7Go to System > Fonts, and drop the selected file here.8Confirm the move.9Using "ES File Explorer", navigate to the “fallback_fonts.xml” file.10Long press the “fallback_fonts.xml” file, and choose “Move to”.11Go to System > Fonts, and drop the selected file here.12Confirm the move.13
How To Find Links for Downloading Emoji fonts
- 1The first one is “Coolsymbols” at Coolsymbols2The second link is called “Coolsymbols Pro” at Coolsymbols Pro3According to Google, there may be a few blank Emoji characters, unless you update your OS to Android 4.1 or higher.4If you have a Galaxy S4, to install the Emoji fonts, you must download them from Coolsymbols S4 Emoji5The title of the fonts is “AndroidEmoji.ttf”, and once installed it will be in the Android system in this path "/system/fonts/AndroidEmoji.ttf".6
How To Get More Emoji Apps for Your Samsung Galaxy
For more Emoji Apps on your Samsung smartphone, just look below. We've included some other Emoji Apps for your use, if you aren't interested in Handcent SMS, or find that it's not suited to your individual use. Also, as we like to educate and instruct on VisiHow, if you didn't know, the word "Emoji" is actually Japanese, and means “picture letter”. That's why it's such a wide-ranging set of icons that represent objects, characters, and emotions. They are similar to the “emoticons” used on many instant messaging clients (e.g. Yahoo Messenger, Skype, etc.), except that they are mostly drawn from Japanese culture. In other words, Emoji is simply the Japanese equivalent of emoticons. Below are some of our top user rated Emoji apps for S3 users. Thanks for your suggestions!
- 1GO SMS Pro Emoji Plugin - Paid App - The best thing about this paid app is you can share the Emoji icons between your Android-enabled mobile and iPhone.Once installed, simply activate it via “GO SMS Pro settings.” Then, choose “Application Setting” followed by “Emoji Encoding Setting.” Make sure that your friend’s device has the same app. Otherwise the Emoji won’t appear on their messages. (Note: This app will only work if you already have the GO SMS Pro app installed on your S3.)2Chomp SMS Emoji Add-On - Free App - S3 users will definitely enjoy this app as there are more than 800 available icons from which to choose from.Before you can use this add-on, however, make sure that you have the ChompSMS v5.17or higher installed on your mobile phone. Once installed, simply use the (+) button in the ChompSMS application when creating a text message and then use the [+Add] button in the Quick Reply & Quick Compose option.3Go Keyboard Emoji Plug-In - Free App - The GO Keyboard Emoji plug-in is meticulously designed.Add some personality to your text messages, emails, tweets, etc., by sending Emoji icons to your friends. To use this, make sure that you have installed the GO Keyboard 0.3.4 or later version (Search “GO Keyboard” to download) on your device. Enable the Emoji keyboard by going to the GO Keyboard when composing a message. Select “Input language”, followed by “Emoji.”
How To Install Emoji Keyboard on the Samsung Galaxy S3
The Emoji characters have become very popular in cell phone texts, social networks, and emails over the past couple of years. Alongside the English language keyboard, you can use an Emoji keyboard to easily create adorable Japanese-created icons. It is recommended that you back up your files before following any of these procedures, particularly those that involve root access and modification of your device.
Once you have the Emoji keyboard enabled on your Samsung Galaxy, you'll have these three main features:
- 1You can create Emoji icons with input symbols.2Swipe left to right, and switch from numbers to the alphabet keyboard.3
How To Enable Your Emoji Keyboard:
- 1From one of your home screens, go to “Settings”.2Select “Language & Keyboard”.3Check the Emoji keyboard to enable it.4
How To Use Your Samsung Emoji Keyboard
You'll have to modify the keyboard input method.
Use one of the following steps to modify your keyboard input method:
- 1If you have Gingerbread, or Android 2.3.x, you can change the input method by:
2If you have Ice Cream Sandwich, or Android 4.0+, you can easily modify the input method:
- First at Text Box, choose the “Input Method”.
- Now select the Emoji keyboard from the menu.
- Click on any text box.
- Next, tap and scroll down the notification bar to choose “Select Input Method”.
- Choose the Emoji keyboard.
How To Replace Fonts on Your Galaxy S3
As you will have already noticed, Android is unable to show the Emoji characters that you have sent on your screen without following the steps provided in this article. To see these Emoji icons, and replace the font on your Galaxy S3, follow these six steps:
- 1You must root the Galaxy.Note that this means you must wipe out all data, and if your Galaxy is still under warranty, the warranty will be voided by this action. Proceed with caution.2Backup your "/system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf" by Root Explorer of ADB.3Download the Emoji font from Sendspace File Download4Replace the original font at "/system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf " as shown in the Root Explorer.5Using Root Explorer, press “Mount R/W”.You will see it at the top, and on the right side. It will enable write permission at "/system/fonts/"6The final step is to set the file permission for the Emoji font with these codes:
- user = read and write
- group = read
- others = read
- Note: If you have ever updated Font Changer in the past, you must now replace that system font with Emoji Font. This will ensure that all Emjoi icons will appear on your screen.
- As an alternative to this, you can download the Emoji Font Updater from this link - Android Market
- If you did not root your Galaxy S3, and you enabled the Emoji keyboard, remember that the Emoji emoticons will be sent, but you will not be able to see them on your screen. You still can use the Emoji keyboard with any apps that support Emoji.
How to Enable Emojis on Samsung S3 with Chomp SMS
The Chomp SMS App is a great way to install Emojis on your Galaxy S3.
Emoji icons are a fun way to make your text messages lively for you and others to enjoy.
That said, different users have different levels of technical ability. For example, some users will prefer to have a downloadable install, like the one described below, while others will prefer something more in depth and technical, which we've described a little farther down this page.
With that in mind, below are the steps to install Emoji icons on your Samsung Galaxy S3 using the free "Chomp SMS App" from the Google Play Store. The app is easy to install, and will not void or otherwise invalidate the warranty on your Galaxy.
- 1On your Galaxy S3 go to the “Google Play Store”.2Find the “Chomp SMS” App.3Download the “Chomp SMS”, and installation prompts.4Once Chomp SMS has been installed, go ahead and launch it.5Tap “New Message”.6Tap the “+” (Plus Sign), which can be found to the left of the text window on your screen.7Emoji “smiley” characters will appear.Tap any one of the Emoji keys along the bottom of the screen.8A prompt will appear, instructing you to install an add-on titled “Emoji Plugin”.9Tap “Download”, and choose “Play Store”.10Tap “Install”, and make sure to “Accept & Download” when it pops up on your screen.11After the “Play Store” App is installed, open the “Chomp SMS” App one more time, and follow the instructions to complete the installation of Emoji characters for text messages on your Galaxy S3.
How to Enable Emoji on Your Galaxy S3 Stock Keyboard
If you are comfortable rooting your GS3, then you can add an Emoji keyboard to the stock keyboard by rooting your device.
You can add Emoji emoticons to your Galaxy S3 by rooting it, but this is a bit more involved, and not without some risk. It will require installation of the "EX File Explorer" App, and copying a file into your GS3 directory.
WARNING! You will have to root your GS3 for this process to work.
Rooting your Samsung S3 can void your warranty. While people root their devices every day with no trouble, there is always a chance that something can go wrong. Proceed at your own risk.
- 1Once your mobile device is rooted, download and save these files:DroidSansFallback.ttf and fallback_fonts.xml.2Pair your Galaxy with your Laptop or PC, and copy all the saved files onto an SD card.3Disconnect your device from the PC.4Open the “Play Store” app, and find the “ES File Explorer”.5Download and install the “ES File Explorer”.6Once the app has installed, launch it.7Go to the DroidSansFallback.ttf file in the directory where you saved it on the SD card, and tap the “Move to” option.8Find the directory for “to/system/fonts”, and move the “DroidSansFallback.ttf” file there.9Follow the same procedure with your the “fallback_fonts.xml" file that you also saved.10Reboot your Galaxy S3, and wait for it to activate.11Open the “Messaging” application, and you'll see that the Emoji icons have been successfully installed.
How to Enable an Emoji Keyboard on Android 4.2 or Higher
If you're running Android 4.2, Emoji just got a lot easier.
To enable the Emoji keyboard on an Android 4.2, or higher mobile device, you just need to follow a few simple steps.
- 1From your Home screen go to the "Settings" menu.2Tap “Language & Input”, which can found under “Personal” on your menu.3Select the iWnn IME input to enable it.4Open your SMS application.5Press and hold the space bar, and on the pop up, tap “Emoji Input method” (English Android Standard Keyboard Verified).6
Tips for Using Emoji on Your Samsung Galaxy S3
Helpful tips for setting up Emoji on your Samsung Galaxy S3
When you add applications to your phone, some take very little effort, and others require significantly more. If you decide to perform one of the more in depth installs we've described, make sure to back up your data first.
- Downloading applications requires an internet connection.
- If you're using the data connection on your phone, you may be charged for downloading these Apps, so be aware of that.
- It's OK if you want to use the ES File Explorer instead of purchasing the preferred Root Explorer from Google Play Store for $3.99.
- Any time you are modifying your phone, it's important to a back up your important files, contacts, and other information. Following the procedures to use Emoji on Facebook and Instagram are no exception. You should make these modifications completely at your own risk.
Questions and Answers About Emoji on the Galaxy S3
How to install Emoji fonts on the Samsung Galaxy S3?
Emoji emoticon characters were created for Japanese mobile devices and webpages a few years ago, and now have become popular around the world on mobile devices.
There is a huge variety of Emoji characters available, with some culture-specific to Japan, yet the world has embraced them. There are also Emoji fonts to coordinate with the Emoji theme for your texting fun. Below we've be provided two links to install these fun characters. You must have your Samsung Galaxy updated to at least Android 4.1 before downloading these Emoji fonts. Then, in Settings, you can set your font type to Emoji.
Download from either of these two sites, or others we've listed in this guide, and then install your Emoji font type with the instructions below.
See more questions like this: Hello, I downloaded emoji keyboard on my samsung galaxy 3
How to enable Emoji fonts on your Samsung Galaxy
This font application is only a font, so there is no user interface.
This means you need to download and install the fonts. Keep in mind that Emoji fonts and keyboards are located in the Google Play Store as free downloads. When you go to the Google Play Store you can simply type in "Emoji Keyboard", which will give you a selection of keyboards to choose from.
To recap, you'll download the application, and visit Settings > Choose Language and Input > Select Default Keyboard. That will let you pick the Emoji Keyboard.
Once you've downloaded and installed them, take the following steps:
- 1Go to the home page.2Scroll to "Settings".3Tap "Display".4Tap "Font", and select Emoji.That's it.
See more questions like this: How to get emoji font on samsung galaxy ring
How come it worked on Twitter but not on Facebook?
My Emoji shows up in Twitter, but not in Facebook.
If the Emoji you want to use works in Twitter, but not in Facebook, or it appears a blank square, you do not have that particular Emoji installed for that platform. Inherently Samsung S3 phones have Emoji, but do not support them in all forms of social media or websites. What you have to do is use Apps that are designed for Emoji. These have been discussed earlier in this guide, and include "Handcent SMS", "GO SMS Pro", and others. Some of these apps do not contain all the available Emoji, so you may need to try a few different Apps to get the full set of Emoji you're looking for. Note that you may use the Android (Google) keyboard.
If you want to customize the list of Emoji you can use, then make sure you have both the Google keyboard and another Emoji app. To do that:
- 1Go to Settings > Language and Input > Android Keyboard.2Go to the Settings icon, and then to Personal Dictionary.3Press the + button.4Type the keyword of your desired Emoji, and save it.5The next time you use emoji, you type in the keyword and it will be converted into an Emoji.
See more questions like this: Hi Daniel, I want a keyboard which will work in Instagram and Facebook
How to get Emoji on Twitter and Facebook?
If you want your emoji to be applied to both Twitter and Facebook, you'll need use an Emoji app that works for both.
There are several Apps you can get to do this. "CoolSymbols" is one such App, and the the app is also accepting designs of Emoji from users, so if you have an idea for a cool new Emoji, let them know! Also keep in mind that some Emoji apps works on both Facebook and Twitter, but with only the use of an iPhone or similar iOS device. Other apps, like "Emoji Pro", work on all sorts of phones and computers, including both Twitter and Facebook Some Emoji Apps, however, may work in Safari, but not in Google Chrome.
Another solution to your Emoji characters not working on Facebook, could be due to the version of the Facebook App you are using. Understand that Facebook and Twitter are two different applications. Some of the different Twitter and Facebook applications have different support for Emoji characters. You can also try to download another Twitter of Facebook application to see if Emoji works in your new application.
With that in mind, to paste your Emoji into Facebook and Twitter with "CoolSymbols":
- 1Click on the Emoji to select it2Paste into the social media that you like.
See more questions like this: How can I post emojis on facebook
How to make Handcent Emoji plugin work on Samsung S3?
We have it working at VisiHow on our S3, and we can help you with your device settings to fix it. The problem you are having is local to your device configuration, and most likely caused by installing the "Handcent SMS" App and supporting Emoji App in the wrong order. In other words, if you installed the Handcent App AFTER installing and activating the Emoji plugin, you might have this problem, but it's easy to fix.
To fix it, just uninstall both "Handcent SMS" and the "Handcent SMS" Emoji plugin. Then then reinstall them in the order specified in this wiki (Handcent, then the Emoji plugin)
Keep in mind that you will need to install both "Handcent SMS" and the Emoji plugin on your S3 in order to send the Emojis out in a message. Also, your recipient will need to have the same two apps installed on their phone for them to view the Emojis properly. Users with iPhones won't have this problem, as Emoji fonts are built in to iOS. For Android phones, both the sender and receiver will need to have the same Apps installed. You can view a description of Handcent Apps here: Handcent Apps]
How to disable the Samsung built-in messaging app after installing Handcent SMS?
I installed the Handcent App, but my Samsung SMS keeps working. How do I turn it off?
After installing "Handcent SMS", you can disable or uninstall the built-in messaging app. This will prevent redundant message app activities and notifications coming from both "Handcent SMS" and the Samsung or Android built-in messaging App.
- 1To disable the built-in messaging app, take these steps:
- Open the built-in messaging app
- Open the built-in messaging app settings menu
- Scroll down and uncheck the Auto Retrieve and Notifications options by tapping the check box.
- After removing the checks on these items, the built-in messaging app will now be disabled.