Use Cucumber for Skin, Hair, and Health Care
Edited by Ermin, Lynn, Eng, gg and 9 others
The cucumber was originally grown in Southern Asia, but recently, it has been cultivated on most continents. The main uses of cucumber have to do with food. Cucumbers are added to many recipes, and are especially found in various kinds of salads. Cucumbers grown via a creeping vine, and there are several varieties, depending on where it is cultivated. This vegetable has been traded globally, because of its taste, and its benefits for overall health. Before learning how to use cucumber for skin, hair, and health care, you should know the varieties of cucumbers, and the active constituents responsible for benefiting our health first.
- 1 Varieties and Types of Cucumber
- 2 Cucumbers: Minerals, Vitamins, and Active Properties
- 3 How to Use Cucumber for the Hair
- 4 How to Use Cucumber for the Skin
- 5 How to Use Cucumber for the Overall Health
- 6 Tips & Warnings
- 7 Questions and Answers
- 7.1 How to prevent hair loss and breakage?
- 7.2 How do I regain my front hair?
- 7.3 Can eating cucumber everyday have a good effect on the skin?
- 7.4 Can I use vegetable oil instead of olive oil?
- 7.5 Keep losing my hair day by day. can you please help me out?
- 7.6 How can I make my hair long in one month?
- 7.7 Is cucumber benefits for my oily skin/?
- 7.8 The front of my hair seems not to be growing. how can I treat this using cucumber or any other prescription that you might know?
- 7.9 How do I reverse hair thinning?
- 7.10 For better hair growth & hair loss, should I eat cucumber?
- 7.11 Can cucumber juice help me with hair loss?
- 8 Referencing this Article
- 9 Comments
Varieties and Types of Cucumber
You may wonder why there are different sizes or shapes or kinds of cucumbers available in grocery stores and supermarkets. There are many varieties of cucumber. In stores, cucumbers are labeled as pickling, slicing, or Burpless. Know what the different kinds of cucumbers are so you can purchase the correct one for your needs.
What is the difference between pickling, slicing, and burpless cucumbers?
- 1Pickling cucumbers.Advertisement
- 2Slicing cucumbers.Advertisement
- 3Burpless cucumbers.
Types of Cucumbers:
- 1These cucumbers are also called as hothouse cucumbers. They are long and slightly thin with dark green and thin skin. English cucumbers are easy to peel, as the skin is not very thick, unlike other types of cucumbers. In addition, they only have minimal seeds and taste sweeter. English cucumbers are burpless cucumbers, so these do not cause flatulence when eaten fresh. Most chefs prefer English cucumbers, although they are a bit more expensive.English cucumbers.
- 2Like English cucumbers, Persian cucumbers have thin and bumpy skin and have a sweet, mild flavor. These are also great to use for making a salad or to eat fresh. These kinds of cucumbers have various lengths. Persian cucumbers also belong to the burpless group.Persian cucumbers.
- 3The interesting aspects of lemon cucumbers are their shape and color. Lemon cucumbers are yellow (when ripe) and round. As the name implies, they really look like lemons. Lemon cucumbers have thin skin, so you can eat or add them to any recipes with their peels on. These kinds are sweet and can be added to your salad recipes. They can also be pickled, and have a delicious flavor.Lemon cucumbers.
- 4Kirby cucumbers are bumpy cucumbers, shorter in length. These are mainly used for pickling or slicing, and you can also eat them raw, although they are a bit crunchy. They are best suited for pickling, rather than slicing. Kirby cucumbers have a range of color from yellow to green skin. At supermarkets or grocery stores, they are usually labeled as "pickling cucumbers."Kirby cucumbers.
- 5In North America, garden cucumbers are most common. They have smooth, green skin. You will see these mostly in grocery stores, and they are usually waxed to maintain their moisture. That is why you need to peel them before using. At farmer markets, you can see un-waxed garden cucumbers, but this does not mean you don't need to peel them. Garden cucumbers have thick skin with a bitterness you might not want to include in your dishes, so it's best to peel them, as consuming the skins can cause flatulence.Garden cucumbers.
- 6Armenian cucumbers are variegated, meaning they have a pattern of different shades from dark and light yellowish-green or just light green to dark green. They are slicing cucumbers, so you can eat them fresh and raw. They have thin skin with minimal seeds, so you don't have to peel them. These are not ideal cucumbers for pickling, but they can be used in salads, sandwiches, etc.Armenian cucumbers.
Cucumbers: Minerals, Vitamins, and Active Properties
As we all know, cucumbers are available in different varieties, but it does not mean they have different health benefits. Despite the varieties, cucumbers have the same active properties that can reduce the risk of certain health issues, from skin and hair, to overall health. Read below to learn about the cucumber's beneficial properties:
- 1Researchers have long studied the active and beneficial ingredients found in most vegetables, lignans. Lignans are believed to have a positive effect in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases as well as certain types of cancer �" breast, ovary, uterine, and prostate. Cucumbers have three major lignans: Secoisolariciresinol, pinoresinol, and lariciresinol. Together, these lignans work to reduce the risk of the aforementioned diseases.Lignans.Advertisement
- 2A recent study shows that cucumbers have anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties play an important role in ridding the body of free radicals, which are responsible for cancer formation. They also serve to reduce the risk of inflammatory disease. However, this research is in preliminary stages, as it has only been tested on animals in a laboratory setting. Yet, researchers have stated their findings are consistent and cucumbers do indeed have the aforementioned properties beneficial for preventing cancer. Antioxidant properties of cucumbers include beta-carotene, vitamin C, manganese as well as flavonoids.Anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- 3Cucurbitacins A, B, C, D, and E belong to a large group of phytonutrients called triterpenes, natural properties found in plants. These can help fight certain diseases and improve how the body functions. Some researchers studied the efficacy of cucurbitacins in animals in a laboratory setting. They hope the research can lead to positive findings that cucurbitacins can reduce the risk of cancer formation in humans. Overall, cucumbers have properties, namely lignans and cucurbitacins that offer anti-cancer benefits. You may want to add cucumbers to your diet daily to make use of their health benefits.Cucurbitacins.
Vitamins and Minerals
Just 104 grams of sliced cucumbers, contains 21.3% of vitamin K, 6.9% of molybdenum, 4.8% of vitamin C, 4.3% of potassium, 4% of manganese, 3.3% of magnesium, 3.1% of tryptophan, and 2.7% of vitamin B5 you require in your daily diet, with 0% calories. See how nutritious cucumbers are for the health!
- 1There are numerous benefits to consuming vegetables with vitamin K �" K1, K2, and K3. Cucumbers are rich in vitamin Ks, and are listed as one of the highest food sources of Vitamin K. The major actions of vitamin K concerning your health are as follows:Vitamin K is almost ignored, and the health benefits of this vitamin are often overlooked.
- Prevent osteoporosis. Vitamin K2 helps make the bones stronger.
- Reduce the risk of cancer formation. Vitamin K1 and K2 help prevent you from cancer forming in the first place.
- Prevent cardiovascular diseases. Vitamin K2 can prevent the arteries from hardening, which is one of the causes of coronary artery and cardiovascular diseases. It will also help keep the calcium out of the artery linings as well as other body tissues, which can lead to health complications.
How to Use Cucumber for the Hair
Some men and women suffer from hair loss. They may have tried various hair treatments, from medication to hair products to herbal medications. Products to treat thinning hair can be quite expensive, so it might be frugal to try alternative treatments for hair loss. Cucumbers are one of the most effective natural alternative treatments for dealing with thinning hair and promoting hair growth. The juice of the cucumber has strong properties that can slow down the process of hair loss. The juice of the cucumber contains manganese, silicon, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, and sulphur sodium; all of these are beneficial for the hair. Not only can the juice boost hair growth, but it can also provide you with shiny, smooth, and manageable hair. Here is a step-by-step guide for how to use cucumber for the hair:
How to make a cucumber hair mask?
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 tbsp. of mayonnaise
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 chopped and peeled cucumbers
- The combination of mayonnaise, olive oil, and egg with the cucumber for making a hair mask, is effective in encouraging hair growth. Other ingredients are excellent sources of vitamins that help treat hair loss and make your hair smooth and shiny.
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend thoroughly. You can also use a food processor to achieve this. If you do not have a blender or a food processor, macerate (mash) the ingredients until they are completely blended into a thick paste.
- Place the mask or mixture on your hair evenly.
- Put your hair up and cover it with a plastic shower cap or bag. This heats up the mixture.
- Allow the mask to absorb into your hair and scalp for 30 minutes. The longer you leave it, the better the results.
- Rinse your hair with cool water. Comb your hair using a wide-tooth comb, and you will see the difference �" smooth, shiny, and manageable hair.
- Do this twice a month to achieve excellent results.
Another method to use cucumber for the hair: Conditioner cucumber
Above is an instruction on how to make a hair mask. In this section, you will learn how to use cucumber for making a monthly hair treatment and conditioner:
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 quarter of peeled cucumber
- Blend all the ingredients using a blender or a food processor. Wait until they are blended smoothly and thoroughly.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly.
- Do this procedure once monthly.
How to Use Cucumber for the Skin
Many people know that cucumbers have benefits when it comes to beautifying the skin. One of the more common uses to get rid of bags and dark circles under your eyes is to apply a slice of cucumber to each eye. Can cucumbers give you flawless, glowing skin? Cucumber's flesh contains vitamin C that can help soothe skin rashes and reduce swelling. Dermatitis and burns can be treated using the flesh of the cucumbers, as they have both astringent and hydrating properties, as well as being nourishing properties. The juice also contributes to healthy and beautiful skin, because of the silica, a rich mineral that can whiten the skin and make it become healthier. In addition to that, the hydrating property of cucumber can help keep the skin from drying out and aging. Below are some tips on how to use cucumber for your skin:
- 1Unhealthy eyes have dark circles and bags. These may be caused by stress or lack of sleep, but these could also be caused by allergies or simple hereditary factors. Place slices of chilled cucumber over each eye, and leave them in place for 20 minutes. Afterward, your eyes will feel relaxed and rejuvenated. The hydrating properties of cucumber, gives the eyes a healthy look.Cucumber regimen for unhealthy eyes.
- 2You can make a toner using cucumber. This toner works for all skin types �" oily, dry, or acne-prone skin, and is good for rejuvenating dull skin. Here is a step-by-step recipe to making cucumber toner:Cucumber regimen for your face.
- 2 tbsp. of distilled water
- 3 tbsp. of witch hazel
- 1/2 chopped and peeled cucumber
- Place all ingredients into a blender or a food processor and blend them smoothly.
- Strain the mixture through a mesh sieve or cheesecloth to eliminate the solids.
- Pour the liquid or toner (without any solids) into a small clean bottle with a lid.
- Store the bottle in your refrigerator. Use it as many times as you want. Place the bottle back in the fridge after using. This will make it last longer; it should be good for several weeks.
- Use a clean cotton ball or cotton pad to apply the toner to your face.
- 3This formula is inspired by Jo Fairley, an author of The Ultimate Natural Beauty Book. This will help you get rid of pimples, making your skin smooth and flawless.Cucumber facial mask regimen.
- 1 egg white
- 1 drop of rosemary essential oil
- 1 inch slice of cucumber
- Place the chunk of cucumber into a blender and blend thoroughly, until it looks like liquid.
- Add a drop of rosemary essential oil into the blender.
- Whisk the egg white in a bowl until it becomes stiff.
- Pour the cucumber mixture into the bowl with the egg and mix well.
- Apply the mixture to your entire face. Let it dry on your face for 15 minutes.
- Rinse your face using a clean, wet washcloth.
How to Use Cucumber for the Overall Health
Because of the health benefits of cucumber, one can get rid of diseases, reduce the risk of cancer formation, and avoid having certain health problems in the future. To fully consume all the nutrients found in cucumber, one is required to eat cucumber or add it to their recipes. Daily consumption is recommended. Here are some recipes that contain cucumber to benefit your overall health:
How to make cucumber juice?
Cucumber juice is a good beverage for increasing the production of urine. In other words, cucumber is a natural diuretic vegetable. This is only one of the health benefits of cucumber. You can add cucumber juice to your diet �" this can help you get rid of toxins in your body, making you become physically fit. Follow the steps below to make cucumber juice:
- 1[one serving]Ingredients:
- 3 large-sized cucumbers
- 1 lemon
- 1 apple
- Peel the cucumbers and slice them into pieces.
- Chop the apple, as well.
- Place these ingredients into a blender and blend them smoothly.
- Squeeze the lemon into the blender and blend them once more.
- Transfer the mixture into a glass jar and refrigerate.
- Fill the glass with the mixture and drink chilled.
How to make homemade cucumber salad?
In your usual tossed salads, you can just add slices of cucumber. However, if you want your salad to be purely a cucumber salad, you may want to try making cucumber cashew coleslaw. Below are instructions on how to make a cucumber cashew coleslaw:
- 2 large peeled and thickly chopped cucumbers
- 1/3 cleaned and thickly chopped head cabbage
- 1 cup of roasted and salted cashews
- 2 finely chopped and trimmed scallions
- 1/2 tsp. of grated ginger
- 1 tsp. of honey
- 3 tbsp. of seasoned rice white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. of tamari
- Except cashews, combine all other ingredients into a salad bowl and refrigerate.
- Toss the salad from time to time, so that the ingredients will be thoroughly mixed.
- Once chilled, add cashews and serve.
How to make homemade pickled cucumber?
Ready-made pickled cucumbers can be bought at grocery stores. However, if you have lots of cucumbers at home, you may want to make homemade pickled cucumbers, fresh from your garden. Here is a step-by-step method to make a simple pickled cucumber:
- 1Ingredients and material:
- 1 quart glass jar with a lid
- 3 tbsp. of distilled white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. of kosher salt to taste
- Filtered or distilled water to fill the glass jar with
- 3 pickling cucumbers. Kirby cucumbers are perfect for pickling.
- 1 tbsp. of dried dill or 5 stems of fresh dill
- 4 cloves of minced and crushed garlic
- 20 black peppercorns (optional)
- 1/4 red pepper flakes (optional)
- Slice cucumbers into thick, long pieces and add them into the jar.
- Add all the ingredients stated above into the jar, except the water.
- Fill the jar with the water and put the lid on and close very tightly.
- Shake the glass jar to meld the flavors.
- Leave the jar on your counter for 12 hours. Be sure you leave it in a safe area.
- Shake the bottle and turn it upside down for another 12 hours. Be sure the lid is on tightly.
- Taste your homemade pickled cucumbers, after 24 hours of fermentation. You will be amazed at how good they taste.
- Refrigerate and consume them within a month.
Tips & Warnings
- In order to get all the nutrients found in cucumbers, you may want to try making all of these recipes. This will help you achieve a greater health benefits from cucumbers, from hair and skin to overall health.
- Cucumbers are natural diuretics, thus often causing frequent urination. You may find this annoying, especially if you are pregnant.
- There are reports that cucumbers have caused allergic reaction in some people. Before eating a lot of cucumbers, ask your doctor first about it.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not eat cucumbers in excessive amounts.
- Too much consumption of cucumbers can cause flatulence, bloating, and upset stomach. When choosing a cucumber, make sure that you choose the burpless cucumbers, as stated above.
- Cucumbers can cause acid reflux in certain people.
Questions and Answers
How to prevent hair loss and breakage?
How to prevent hair loss and breakage
- If medical conditions, including hereditary changes, are out of the way, then you will need to avoid stress, first of all.
- Avoid dying your hair.
- Do not comb it when it is wet, as it is easy to break it that way.
- Use wide-toothed combs.
- Wash hair not too often, but not too seldom as well: once-twice a week may be enough in colder regions and maybe more in warmer climates.
- Do not walk in the sun with uncovered hair.
- Do not braid hair too hard.
- Massage hair daily.
- Follow our tips in our tutorial on making hair naturally healthy. However, take in mind that trimming (or cutting) hair is individual. For some people, trimming should be avoided, as their hair is healthy at any length; and they may want knee-length or hip-length hair (the average rate of hair growth is 1 cm per month, but hairs has their life cycles; so, the speed of overall growth may be visually slowed down. In this case, trimming ends should be avoided to achieve the proper length). The worst that can happen to hair with split ends is that it can break at the splitting point.
How do I regain my front hair?
I started losing my front hair recently, so I decided to search for solutions to it
Here are several articles on how to curb hair loss:
- Make a Homemade Hair Rinse to Stop and Reverse Hair Loss
- Reverse Hair Loss Using Lavender
- Prevent Hair Loss Naturally
- Avoid receding hairline (for men)
- Use Castor Oil to Stop Male Receding Hairline
These are just a few of the articles on VisiHow. We have more if you wish to search then use the search bar in the upper right hand of this page. It will take at least 90 days of consistent application before you may notice any results.
Can eating cucumber everyday have a good effect on the skin?
Just want to know if eating cucumber everyday can have a good effect on the skin
Cucumbers are rich in the antioxidants and vitamins that support healthy skin and enable it to regenerate itself as well as resisting damage from the environment and the natural process of aging. Cucumbers contain powerful healing constituents called cucurbitacins and curcumin. The compounds, unique to the cucumber fight off the free radicals that attack our systems every day and cause skin to become saggy, wrinkled or dry looking. These compounds also fight inflammation in the skin, including redness caused by pimples, allergies or dryness.
Cucumbers are also particularly rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin K, which work as an age-fighting synergistic combo. Cucumbers are also a very rich source of Vitamin A, necessary to attaining an even tone to a skin. Vitamin B-5 (pantothenic acid) is another compound found in cucumbers that helps skin cells attract and retain moisture to achieve a more youthful appearance.
Cucumbers are also a unique vegan source of silica, which is a mineral that helps strengthen the collagen tissues in the skin and also helps you look younger.
Can I use vegetable oil instead of olive oil?
It's still an oil and I want my hair longer
You can, but olive oil has a great advantage over vegetable oil. Several tests showed that olive oil gives a glossier coating effect. Both oil types clean out tiny motes of dust and soothe the skin. Always remember to spread the oil along the hair by using a bristle or wooden comb and cover the head with a towel for an hour or for a night. Wash the hair afterwards. The other folk remedy that might stimulate hair is Cayenne pepper that you can grind and add to the olive oil with the ratio of 1 tablespoon of pepper powder to 500 ml (16 oz) of olive oil. Shake thoroughly before applying to your hair.
Keep losing my hair day by day. can you please help me out?
Volume of my hair is reducing day by day. I'm not getting what is the actual problem
We shed 100's of hairs a day from our head. There are a few factors that can cause more than normal shedding:
- Environments such as dry air or winter.
- Our daily eating habits.
- Stress and anxiety.
- The wrong shampoo.
- Illness or hormonal imbalance.
How can I make my hair long in one month?
I don't have a long hair, and I really want my hair to be long, please what can I do?
Silica will help strengthen your hair and enhance growth. You also will want to a multivitamin with Vitamin B. Use a brush with wide teeth and do not brush your hair until it is dry after you wash it. You also will want to let your hair air dry and squeeze excess water with a towel without rubbing. Use a shampoo and conditioner that is moisturizing. Do not use heat elements unless you apply a protection heat spray or cream.
Is cucumber benefits for my oily skin/?
My skin have many dark spots pimples and also my skin is oily can I use cucumber on my skin or not
Cucumber for oily skin treatment is an excellent way to control it. One of the best ways is to make a facial spray of cucumber water and green tea. Mist your face twice a day after washing it to help with oil reduction. Here are some other VisiHow articles on how to treat oily skin:
The front of my hair seems not to be growing. how can I treat this using cucumber or any other prescription that you might know?
The front of my hair seems not to be growing. how can I treat this using cucumber or any other prescription that you might know. I have tried: Nothing. I think it was caused by: I don't know or maybe it is an inheritance but not too sure as this implies to my mum too
There are suggestions in how to use cucumber from the article on this page. In the Answer section, there are other articles posted for you to check out as well. You could use a prescription like Minoxidil on the area of hair loss. You should request your primary physician run a hormonal panel on you to determine if this is the cause of your hair loss. Low testosterone is just one hormone that can cause hair loss. Your thyroid can also cause hair loss.
How do I reverse hair thinning?
What do I drink and apply for thinning? Having carrot+beetroot+apple with ginger juice in the morning. Using castor oil twice weekly? What more can I do?
Consider adding Apply Cider Vinegar to your regiment. Use it as a hair rinse and add two tablespoons to your daily juice.
For better hair growth & hair loss, should I eat cucumber?
For better hair growth & hair loss, should I eat cucumber
Yes, there are many benefits to adding cucumber to your daily diet. Also, check out some other hair loss articles on VisiHow. We have many that use natural ingredients for a holistic approach.
Can cucumber juice help me with hair loss?
I had a terrible hair loss but it stopped. Now I'm trying to regrow my hair and heard about cucumber juice being good for that.. I have tried: Juice every day. I think it was caused by: I think it was stress but now it is stopped. I just need to regrow my hair
Using Castor Oil twice a week along with lavender oil can help you further. Make a hair mask and leave it on for at least 30 minutes for your scalp to absorb it. Take a multivitamin to help with any depletion that stress can cause. Look into practicing yoga even at home for three times a week to help manage your stress and release toxins from your body.
See more questions like this: I have a thinning hair and would like to restore my hair. how can cucumber help me?
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Use Cucumber for Skin, Hair, and Health Care. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 29, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Use_Cucumber_for_Skin,_Hair,_and_Health_Care
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Use Cucumber for Skin, Hair, and Health Care." VisiHow, visihow.com/Use_Cucumber_for_Skin,_Hair,_and_Health_Care Accessed 29 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Use Cucumber for Skin, Hair, and Health Care." Accessed Apr 29, 2017. http://visihow.com/Use_Cucumber_for_Skin,_Hair,_and_Health_Care.
Categories : Skin Care & Diseases
Recent edits by: miks, Vinod Bhabad, fairulza