Use Coconut to Improve Your Heart's Health
Edited by Mian Sheilette Ong, Joely, Eng, Lynn and 3 others
Your heart is the heavy-duty pump of your body that beats approximately 100,000 times a day without stopping. It's responsible for circulating approximately 2,000 gallons of oxygenated blood throughout your entire body, whether you are asleep or awake. Without a heart, your body will not function. Keeping your heart healthy should be of great importance, and included in your daily activities. A healthy heart will allow you to live a longer, fuller life. With all the pressures of today's world, taking time to look after your heart does take some effort. It's important to look at healthy, natural ways to improve the condition of your heart - your body. A popular and versatile natural component you can use to improve the health of your heart - is coconut. Once you discover what it can do for your heart, you will understand why the coconut tree is called the "Tree of Life".
- 1 Coconut Oil and Heart Health
- 2 The Real Deal About Heart Disease
- 3 How You Can Improve Your Heart's Health With Heart-Safe Coconut Recipes
- 4 Tips
- 5 Questions and Answers
- 6 Comments
Coconut Oil and Heart Health
Recent studies show that coconut oil is a potent weapon against heart ailments. Ironic as it is that any "oil" is the ultimate heart supplement the world has been waiting for, it has been scientifically proven that a regular diet of coconut oil reduces the possibility of developing heart problems. Coconut oil is made up of MCFAs (medium-chain fatty acids). Though classified as a saturated fats, the MCFA's in coconut oil can prevent a stroke or a cardiac arrest. This is because the MCFAs in coconut oil do not affect your cholesterol levels in a negative way. Non-hydrogenated, all natural coconut oil actually increases HDL or high-density lipoproteins (good cholesterol); which actually helps to protect your heart from heart disease and therefore, improves your cholesterol levels.
Cholesterol levels can be an indicator of the risks for heart disease. Your HDL levels should be higher than your LDL (low density lipoproteins or bad cholesterol). This is the universally accepted gauge of an individual's risk for heart disease. There are many benefits to including coconut oil in your diet. Just one advantage is its ability to elevate your HDL levels. According to recent demographic studies, people who consume large amounts of coconut oil tend not develop heart diseases, have ideal blood-cholesterol levels, and have excellent heart and blood vessel health. Further studies may prove that it may be possible for coconut oil to eradicate heart diseases in the future. For years, coconut oil has brought about improved cholesterol levels, increased survival rates, reduced blood clot tendencies, fewer free radicals, increased antioxidants, lower cases of heart diseases, and decreased body fat storage.
The Real Deal About Heart Disease
Under the microscope, heart disease is mainly caused by the hardening of arteries or atherosclerosis. This is caused by the formation of hard, stubborn plaque in your arteries, which are the blood vessels responsible for delivering oxygenated blood throughout your body. A small injury on the inner surface of the artery is enough to start the development of this condition. Such an injury may be caused by infections (bacterial/viral), free radicals, or toxins. If the affected artery is not surgically repaired, more damage may appear. The scar tissue from that injury will progress as long as inflammation and irritation remain. The platelets that circulate freely in your system adhere to one another when they come across the injury. They also stick to the injury, as if trying to bandage the damage. Platelets form clots in the area of that specific artery. The arterial cells then enable muscle growth within the artery's inner wall lining. To help heal the injury, triglycerides, calcium, scar tissue, cholesterol, and platelets join together. The combination results into arterial plaque. When this forms in the coronary artery (the artery that delivers oxygenated blood to the heart), a condition called coronary heart disease develops.
Recent studies show that even minor infections result in arterial injuries. Certain microorganisms contribute to the development of atherosclerosis and ultimately, heart disease. According to experts, the MCFA in coconut oil kills all three major atherogenic organisms that claim many lives. These fatty acids get rid of many pathogens or disease causing microorganisms. Coconut oil can definitely keep you safe from many harmful organisms that cause herpes, ulcers, lung infections, stroke, and heart disease. You should start including coconut oil in your diet, if you want to your heart to continue pumping for a very long time. The United States doesn't have a lot of coconut oil to produce or consume. Many Americans suffer from cardiovascular diseases because of this. People in countries where coconuts are everywhere, do not list heart disease as their top cause of mortality. An example is Sri Lanka, where people use coconut oil as their main source of fat. The death rate due to heart disease in this country is, by far, the lowest on a global scale. However, recently, margarines and polyunsaturated oils have replaced coconut oil in the Sri Lankan diet. As a result, heart disease cases in the country have multiplied. The same has happened in India, all because advertisements tell them these "new" oils are heart-friendly. Experts in India are now working hard to return the focus to coconut oil, and make it the primary cooking oil once again.
How You Can Improve Your Heart's Health With Heart-Safe Coconut Recipes
If you want to get on people's good side and win their hearts, target their taste buds and satisfy their stomachs. We will help you accomplish this by including these heart-safe coconut recipes that are very easy and economical to make. By following these recipes, you can start a whole new heart-healthy diet that you and your loved ones can enjoy while making the most out of life.
Vegetarian Chili in Coconut Milk
This will only take you 55 minutes to make. The recipe serves six people.
What You Need:
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1½ cups of grated tofu
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- ¼ cup of APF (all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup of vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1/2 cup of light coconut milk
- 1 medium can of diced tomatoes
- 1 medium can of red kidney beans (no salt, drained, rinsed)
- 1 medium potato (diced)
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1Get a large saucepan and heat your coconut oil.Advertisement
- 2Sauté the garlic, onion, tofu, cumin, and chili powder until the onions are soft or translucent.Advertisement
- 3Stir for a minute. Add the vegetable stock and the coconut milk. Stir once more until everything is smooth.Add the flour.
- 4Bring it to a simmer while you stir the mixture until the potatoes are tender. Add the peas and let it simmer uncovered until a bit thicker. You can add more coconut milk it seems too thick.Add your potatoes, tomatoes, and red beans.
- 5Serve hot.
This recipe makes a cup. All you have to do is devote 25 minutes to it.
What You Need:
- ½ teaspoon of coconut oil
- ¼ cup of grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons chana dal
- ½ cup coriander (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon black lentils
- 2 small green chilies (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- Some salt
- ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds1 teaspoon oil
- 1 whole dry red chili (chopped)
- 2 to 3 curry leaves
How To Make It:
- 1Add the chana dal and the black lentils. Cook them until they turn brown and crisp. Set aside and cool. When cool enough, blend into a powder.Get a non-stick pan and heat the coconut oil.
- 2Add 5 tablespoons of water, make a smooth paste, and set it aside.Add the coriander, grated coconut, ginger, salt, and green chilies.
- 3To temper, heat your oil and add the mustard seeds.
- 4When the seeds start to crackle, add the chana dal and black lentil mixture.
- 5Add the curry leaves and sauté over medium heat for about ten seconds.
- 6Pour the tempering over the chutney paste and mix everything.
- 7Refrigerate and use with dishes you want.
Coconut Banana Bake
This is an easy dessert that serves 6 people.
What you need:
- 2/3 cup of coconut (shredded)
- 5 medium bananas (chopped)
- 1 /3 cup of orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 3 tablespoons of packed brown sugar
How to make it:
- 1Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Arrange them in a pie plate (greased).Slice the bananas into halves, crosswise.
- 3Place butter in dots and drizzle over the lemon and orange juices.
- 4Sprinkle with coconut and brown sugar.
- 5Bake until the coconut is browned.Advertisement
- Always consult with your doctor if you want to incorporate coconut oil into your everyday diet.
- It's always ideal to keep active and to avoid foods that are processed, too sweet, too salty, and too fatty.
- As your doctor about supplements that will help your body become more resistant to infections.
Questions and Answers
Bad effects of coconut chutney in daily life.
Even if the coconut is good for the body, there is still a bad effect of consuming coconut chutney everyday.
Since coconut chutney is made of different ingredients aside from coconut, like peanuts, chilies, salt, to name a few, it is not really the coconut that will bring a bad effect, but those other ingredients.
- Salt is high in sodium.
- Peanuts are high in purine that can increase uric acid in the body.
- Chilies are spicy and it can cause mouth and stomach ulcers. Aside from this, it can also cause hemorrhoids, and other diseases.
So, it is not advisable to eat it on a daily basis.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Coconut Usage & Benefits
Recent edits by: Alma, Graeme, Lynn