Upgrade or Replace Your Ps4's Hard Drive
Edited by Jerry Rivers, Eng, Lynn
Your PlayStation4 takes you to a world of games like no other console because it was developed and built by gamers just like you. It is superior, and more powerful than any other PlayStation. Your PS4 has more than 30 times the memory of the PS3. Not only can you play all the latest, greatest movies with it, but you also have the PlayStation controls of the next generation for the most sophisticated and challenging games. The PS4 is also much cheaper, sleeker, and more compact than its nearest competitor. So, you will naturally want to hang onto this gamer's masterpiece.
Can it get any better than this? Sure! Keep this fantastic PlayStation, and replace the hard drive with an upgraded one. You can install more games and cut down on your game loading times with an up SSD, or bigger hard drive.
Intrepid gamer, do not fear! You may think that it involves a lot of time and tech savvy to upgrade that hard drive. On the contrary, it is easy to replace and upgrade. To find out how, read on for our guide on replacing the PS4′s hard drive.
How to do it
- 1It is more expensive, but a solid state drive, or SSD, will load your games very fast. The replacement procedure can be conveniently done in five minutes.You can upgrade your PS4 by first sliding off the casing, and taking off just one screw with a standard Phillips screwdriver.Advertisement
- 2It cannot have a height of more than 9.5 mm, but typically none are taller than that. The capacity of both types of hard drives is 160 GB or more. The original hard drive with your PS4 is 500 GB, and spins around 5,500 rpm, in comparison with a replacement HDD or SSD.The hard drive (HDD) that comes within your PS4 out of the box is a typical 2.5-inch length hard disc drive, so to fit in its compartment, your new HDD or SSD must also be a 2.5-inch length.Advertisement
- 3Here are the required items to replace the HDD:So, let's get started.
- HDD or SSD at max dimensions: 2.5-inches (63.5mm) X 9.5mm. These are the dimensions of a typical hard drive.
- A USB flash drive with a 1 GB capacity
- Phillips screwdriver
- Computer internet access
- 4The procedure to replace your hard disc drive is easy:
- Make sure the PS4 is unplugged.
##Now slide the new HDD or SSD into the tray facing down, so that the SATA ports are aligned with the opening for them.
- Make sure the PS4 is unplugged.
- 7Slide the cover, and snap it back in place from the top. It will be very difficult if you try this from the bottom.Important:
- You must update the new hard drive next:
- 1Download the most recent software update for the PS4.First, go to the Sony website.
- 2Any data on your USB flash drive must be removed by formatting it to FAT32.Plug in your USB flash drive.
- If you have Windows, right-click to bring up the menu.
- Choose "FAT32", then left-click "Start".
- Once downloaded, open the drive to make a new folder. Title it "PS4", and create a second folder with the title "UPDATE". Place the update file inside the "UPDATE" folder.
- The Play Station 4 Console Connections needed for the New Hard Drive:
- 1Ensure that your PS4 power cord is plugged into the HDMI port at the back of the console.
- 2Connect the controller and the USB flash drive.
- 3Power up the console, and put it in Safe Mode by pressing and holding the Power button for seven or more seconds.
- 4Click the PS4 controller button when there is a prompt message.
- At the menu, scroll and select "Initialize PS4".
- Your file will be updated from the hard drive to your console. It will then install.
- 5Your PS4 will reboot, and ask you to create an account.
- 6You will sign up for the PlayStation Network, and then download the content.
- Suggested hard drives for your PS4
- 1It has a 2 TB capacity, yet is still only 9.5 mm thick.The Samsung 2 TB Spinpoint M9 is a recently available hard drive, and is the one to choose if you want a bigger hard disc drive.
- 2The Samsung 1 TB M8 is still offered, and costs about $85.
- 3The Samsung 840 Pro is an excellent solid state drive, and is available at 256 GB or 512 GB, at about $250 or about $475 respectively.
These are all upgrades that will give your incredible PlayStation 4 even faster game loading. The closest competitor will not have all the whistles and bells that this gamer's console has, nor will you be able to change hard drives. There are nearly 200 new games around the corner, according to Sony, that will be ideal for your Play Station 4. Have fun with your exciting games more than ever!
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Upgrade or Replace Your Ps4's Hard Drive. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Upgrade_or_Replace_Your_Ps4%27s_Hard_Drive
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Upgrade or Replace Your Ps4's Hard Drive." VisiHow, visihow.com/Upgrade_or_Replace_Your_Ps4%27s_Hard_Drive Accessed 28 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Upgrade or Replace Your Ps4's Hard Drive." Accessed Apr 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Upgrade_or_Replace_Your_Ps4%27s_Hard_Drive.
Categories : PS & PSP
Recent edits by: Eng, Jerry Rivers
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 919 times.