Update Software in Samsung Galaxy S3
Edited by Timbuktu, Charmed, Leomar Umpad, Sushi123 and 4 others
Keeping your mobile device up-to-date with the latest software/firmware will ensure you get the absolute most out of your phone. Everything from security through to basic functionality is improved and enhanced with updates. Failing or ignoring to install them, could have adverse effects on performance. In the following article, we cover how to upgrade a Samsung Galaxy S3's software, on Jelly Bean, Kitkat, Lollipop, and Marshmallow.
"Remember, if possible, to always use a WiFi connection when downloading updates. It's also a good habit to have a decent charge left on your battery before upgrading any software on your mobile device.
- 1 Update Software Directly (Marshmallow)
- 2 Update Software Directly (Jelly Bean 4.3, Kitkat, Lollipop)
- 3 Update Software Directly (Jelly Bean 4.2 or older)
- 4 Find out the Software Version of your S3 (Jelly Bean 4.2 or older)
- 5 Update Samsung Galaxy S3 from 4.2 to 4.3 using ODIN
- 6 Questions and Answers
- 7 Referencing this Article
- 8 Comments
Update Software Directly (Marshmallow)
Update Software Directly (Jelly Bean 4.3, Kitkat, Lollipop)
Update Software Directly (Jelly Bean 4.2 or older)
- 7Then follow the onscreen instruction if there is an available update, if there is no available update then a popup window will appear and just tap 'OK'
Find out the Software Version of your S3 (Jelly Bean 4.2 or older)
- 4You should the see the software version and your mobile information.
Update Samsung Galaxy S3 from 4.2 to 4.3 using ODIN
You can update your Samsung Galaxy S3 to the latest version by flashing the latest firmware using ODIN. To update Samsung Galaxy S3 via ODIN follow the instructions on this section.
Requirements for ODIN update
- Updated drivers for your phone on your computer. You need to have the updated drivers for Samsung phones on your computer. You can download Samsung Kies on your computer and connect your phone to your computer via USB cable. Kies should download the right drivers for your phone once it detects your device. You can also download a separate executable file that installs the drivers for Samsung phones. Download and install Android USB drivers for Samsung phones and connect your phone to your PC via USB cable to install the right drivers for your S3.
- USB connecting cable. You will be using the USB connecting cable to connect your Galaxy S3 to your computer's USB port.
- The latest firmware version for Galaxy S3. You need to download the latest firmware version for your phone. As of February2014, the latest available and official firmware for Galaxy S3 is Jelly Bean version 4.3. You can download the official and country-specific firmware for your Galaxy S3 at trusted sites.
- ODIN v3.07 or any later versions. You will use ODIN to flash the firmware to your Galaxy S3. You can get Odin v3.07 at trusted sites.
Instructions on updating S3 via ODIN
- 1Once extracted you will see a file with a .TAR extension on the extracted folder. This will be the file that we will use for updating.Go to the location of the downloaded firmware and extract the file using Winrar.
- 2You can check this by connecting your S3 to your computer via USB cable. Your computer should detect it without any problems or install the right drivers as long as you have Samsung Kies or the Samsung USB Driver for Android.Make sure that you have the updated drivers for Galaxy S3.
- 3If you have connected both via USB, disconnect the cable from the phone.Disconnect your phone from your computer.
- 4This is to ensure that your phone will not turn off during flashing. Disconnections during flashing/updating may cause problems on your phone.Make sure that your battery is at least 50% level.
- 5Wait for your phone to vibrate after the screen has been turned off. This is an indicator that your device has been completely shut down.Turn off your Galaxy S3 by pressing and holding the Power button.
- 6You can do this by pressing your Power button + Home button + Down button until your phone starts. When the phone starts, release the three buttons.Boot your Galaxy S3 into Download mode.
- 7Press Volume Up to proceed to Download Mode.Your phone will tell you that you are in Download Mode and would ask you to confirm, or cancel, by pressing Volume Up or Volume Down respectively.
- 8After pressing Volume Up, your phone will now be in Download Mode, connect your phone to your computer via USB connection.
- 9This indicates that your computer is detecting your cellphone. If none of the squares lit up, reconnect your USB cable. Again, make sure that you have installed the right USB drivers for your device.Open ODIN and you will see that one of the squares in ID:COM is lighting.
- 10Reset Time" is checked under options. By default, these two options are the only ones that are checked but just to be sure, see to it that indeed, no other option has been checked.On ODIN, make sure that only "Auto Reboot" and "F.
- 11Double check that you have the correct file selected.On ODIN, click on PDA and choose the .TAR file that you have just extracted.
- 12Once everything are checked, click on Start button to start the flashing process.
- 13It will be indicated on the Message box that flashing has been successful.Wait for the process to be done.
- 14You can now remove it from the USB cable and wait for your device to boot.Once flashing is successful, your phone will automatically restart.
- 15You can check on Home > Menu key > Setting > More > About device > Android version, to see that your device has been updated to the Android Jelly Bean version 4.3.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
Does this instruction work with Samsung Galaxy prime?
Does this instruction work with Samsung Galaxy prime
You can follow the instructions in the article above to update your Samsung Galaxy Prime. If you prefer to use the ODIN software to update your phone, you will have to find the firmware for your Prime smartphone at http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/. To find out your model, either use the manual that came with the phone or take the battery out and look for the model name on the back of the body of the smartphone. It can be, for example, "SM-G5306W".
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Update Software in Samsung Galaxy S3. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Update_Software_in_Samsung_Galaxy_S3
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Update Software in Samsung Galaxy S3." VisiHow, visihow.com/Update_Software_in_Samsung_Galaxy_S3 Accessed 26 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Update Software in Samsung Galaxy S3." Accessed May 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Update_Software_in_Samsung_Galaxy_S3.
Categories : Samsung Galaxy
Recent edits by: Eng, MBaleilabasa, VisiHow