Update Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge to Marshmallow
Edited by Train Wreck, VisiHow, Eng, Aarti Babar and 2 others
Users of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge have been waiting a long time for Android M, but now that it's here, some of the people are finding it difficult to update the phone. Whether you have turned off automatic updates or you're in a part of the world where the update took a little longer, we are going to help you learn how to update your Galaxy S6 Edge to Android Marshmallow 6.0. Read on the tutorial below to see step-by-step instructions on how you can update your Galaxy Edge to Android M.
Before You Update to Android M
- Disable all passwords. This is recommended so you will not have any problems booting into a locked device.
- Remove device encryption. It is never a good idea to update an encrypted device. Too much can go wrong, and you can lose all of your data.
- Back up your data after you have removed all passwords and device encryption. This will make it easier to restore later in the event you have some problems that can't be fixed. Backing up an unencrypted device with no passwords also makes it easier to restore the phone later.
- Make sure your phone is fully charged. It is never a good idea to attempt to update your phone unless it has a good charge. Too many things can go wrong, and a device that loses power part way through an update can end up being bricked.
Updating a Samsung Galaxy Edge to Android M
- 15Tap once on 'OK' to proceed.You will see a menu informing you that the software update has been completed.
- 17To confirm that your device indeed has been updated to Android M, follow the instructions in the next section.
Check Your Android Version
- 1You will note now that the notification panel is a different color and also that there is a little arrow pointing down on the right side of the notification panel.Swipe down from the top of the screen to open the notification panel.
- Tapping on this arrow pointing downwards has the same effect as swiping down with two fingers. A two-finger swipe opens up all of the notification options instead of the usual small notification menu, which is typically accessed by swiping down with one finger.
Questions and Answers
How do I remove the double screen lock on my Samsung Galaxy S6 or GS7 running Marshmallow?
In the new Android Marshmallow software there are two screen locks. I want to remove the one screen lock so I don't have two screen locks on my Galaxy. How do I get rid of the second screen lock? I have tried many things to get rid of the second lock screen and can't figure it out.
On Marshmallow, if you enable any lock screen other than swipe, such as PIN Lock, Pattern Lock, or Password Lock, you need to swipe to reach the lock screen when pressing the power or home button. This is to prevent pocket dialing. So when you press the power button and swipe to unlock, you will be taken to a second lock screen with your chosen unlock method. To disable this, perform one of the following actions:
- 1Set your lock screen to swipe, and use swipe to unlock.
- 2Set up fingerprints, and use a fingerprint to unlock.
- 3However, installing a new launcher will require you to root your Samsung Galaxy S6, S7, or other model Samsung. In this case, you will most likely trip Samsung KNOX, voiding your warranty. If you don't use Samsung Pay or the NFC payment technologies, this is not a big deal - especially if your phone is out of warranty. However, if you use these technologies, or if your Samsung Galaxy phone is still under warranty, we do not recommend rooting your device.Download a different launcher.
What is the default pattern after upgrade to marshmallow?
After I upgraded to M, I now have a pattern. I've got 2 more attempts left before, whatever happens after 2 attempts.. I have tried: Android Device Manager doesn't work. Connecting USB cable doesn't work. Support from Verizon Wireless and Samsung couldn't help. My only hope is factory reset. I think it was caused by: Upgrade to Marshmallow
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.