Update Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
Edited by Mohsin, Charmed, Leomar Umpad, Michael J. and 10 others
Android 4.3, also known as Jelly Bean, launched in the second half of 2012, hitting almost all of the Nexus devices, the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4, and most recent HTC phones. For people with some mobile carriers, or those using older (but still very capable) hardware like the Galaxy S2, waiting for Jelly Bean has been a 'sit and hope' affair. Luckily, S2 owners looking for Jelly Bean don’t need to wait any longer. The Android custom developer community has a version of Jelly Bean ready to go on your device, and all you need to do is follow the steps below.
Before Updating to Jelly Bean, Make Sure:
- Your Galaxy S2 has been rooted.
- You have installed a custom recovery app to on your device (Something like the ClockWork Mod).
- USB debugging should be set to 'enabled'. You can do this by going to your settings menu, then choosing 'development options' and ticking 'USB debugging.'
- You have a full battery when beginning the below procedure. Irreparable damage can be done to the file system if your phone shuts down at any time during installation.
Rooting Your Samsung Galaxy S2
Things to consider before rooting
- Rooting and modifying your device can void your warranty.
- Your phone should have the latest updates from Samsung installed before you follow these instructions.
- Rooting will delete your phone's data. Backup your important files to an SD card or computer before continuing with installation.
Things you will need when rooting
- ODIN Downloader: Download here
- A USB Data Cable
- XWKDD Kernel: Download here
- SuperOneclick: Download here and install the app to your Samsung Galaxy S2
- Samsung Kies:Download here or here
How to Root Your S2
- 1Download all of the software from the previous step and have the files ready on your PC.2Double-check that you have enabled debugging mode on your phone.3Turn your phone off.4You can now boot the phone into download mode.Do this by holding the “volume down” and “power” buttons down at the same time. The phone should boot up with the 'Downloading' flash screen, as shown in the image below.5Open the ODIN software on your PC.6Connect your phone to your PC using your USB cable.Once the phone has synced, ODIN will show a message that the phone has been detected7Inside ODIN, enable the tick boxes for "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time".8Click the PDA button in ODIN and choose the file XWKDD_insecure.tar, which you downloaded in a previous step.9Leave all other settings set to default.10When you're ready, click the start button and ODIN will begin installing the necessary files to your phone.11Once the process is complete, ODIN will automatically reboot your phone.12On your phone, open the SuperOneClick app that you installed previously.13Press the 'Root' tab from within the app.14
Steps to update your Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.3 through CyanogenMod (CM)
- 1You will need to download a compatible version of Jelly Bean for your device.You can try the Cyanogen Mod, which is has proven to be stable and popular with users. Get the file here. You will also need the Gapps installation, which you can find here.2Once the downloads have completed, reconnect your phone to your PC using the USB cable.3Copy or move the downloaded files (don't extract the .zip) to the root directory of your SD card.Simply drag and drop the files directly to the SD card. Do not place them into any existing folders on the card.4Turn off your phone and then boot it back up by holding the “volume up”, “home” and “power" keys until the phone boots into recovery mode.5From the recovery screen, choose 'install zip from SD card' and then choose the .zip file that you saved to the root of your SD card.6Accept the prompts on the next screen to continue with the installation.7When the installation has completed, follow the steps again, but this time select 'Install Google Apps' and choose the other file that you have copied to the root of your SD card.8When the installation is complete, choose 'restart' from the main menu.9Your phone will now boot back up with the new ROM installed.Congratulations, you're now running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean! The new ROM can take up to five minutes to load on the first boot, so be patient before exploring all the new features.
Jelly Bean is the 10th version of Google's Android operating system. It succeeds Ice Cream Sandwich and was officially released on June 27, 2012. Nicknamed 'Project Butter,' the new OS aims to make the user interface as smooth as possible from a visual perspective. Menus and transitions will now flow as you haven't seen them before on Android. There are also various bug fixes and software improvements, most notably:
- A new notification system. You can now complete actions from the notifications tray, like interact with emails and messages without opening the related app.
- Speed improvements to the default camera app.
- Widgets now work better.
- Better accessibility features.
- Google Now and Android Beam functionality built into the OS.
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- The instructions in this article are intended for the Samsung Galaxy S2 only.
Solution for E-Signature error
- If you're seeing this error from the recovery mode, you haven't installed a custom recovery. Make sure that you have rooted and installed Clockwork Mod on the phone.
- This error can also occur because of outdated USB drivers. Make sure you have installed Samsung Kies. Run it and the program will take care of your driver installations.
Solution if you get stuck on yellow error sign / logo screen
- If you see this yellow error message while in download mode, just press volume up to resume the process.
Questions and Answers
How do I update my Samsung Galaxy S2?
I would like to update my Galaxy S2 4.1.2 to 4.2.2, Jelly Bean.
You can update your Samsung Galaxy S2 from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 by choosing any of the following update procedures:
- Download and install Samsung Kies on your computer. Once the download is complete, connect your Galaxy S2 to your computer via USB cable. Open Kies and wait for it to detect your phone. Once detected, Kies will search for the latest update available and will give you the option to download to the latest update. Download the update and automatic updating should follow.
- You can update through your phone's over-the-air (OTA) update. Download updates by going to Home Screen > Apps icon > Settings > About Phone > Software update > Update. Galaxy S2 will now search for available updates and will ask you if you will proceed with the download.
For a third option for updating your Samsung Galaxy S2 to 4.2.2, please do the following.
- Root your phone. Please follow the instructions for "Rooting Samsung Galaxy S2" above.
- Next, flash CWM via ODIN. Please do the following to flash the file.
- Turn off your phone, then boot into ODIN mode.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB
- Flash the tar file using ODIN (click on PDA, then select the CWM tar file you have downloaded, then click Start)
- Follow the procedure on "Steps to Update Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.3". Note that this is the Android 4.2.2 based version of CyanogenMod for Samsung Galaxy S2, and so 4.2.2 will be installed, not 4.3
See more questions like this: Can your help me to upgrade my android samsung galaxy s2
What do I need to install after installing 4.3?
Do I need to reinstall all Apps that I have currently downloaded? Also, when there is a new version of Android, do I need to manually install that or will it be taken care of automatically in the same way that I check for Android updates right now?
You do not have to reinstall applications when you upgrade your phone's OS version. For future updates, you can opt to manually update through Samsung Kies, or wirelessly through Over-the-Air (OTA) updates. These are very easy and convenient ways, so there is a very small chance that these update options will change in the future.
Understand that this update may not come standard for your device depending on the time that you asked this question but you can find this update in your update phone option.
See more questions like this: Can not install the cyanogen mod file andorid 4.3
How can I update Samsung S2 to Android 4.3?
Samsung S2 Jelly Bean 4.3 version
You need to root your phone as discussed in this section [[[#Rooting Your Samsung Galaxy S2]]
Once rooted, follow the instructions in this article, specifically the section on #Steps to update your Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.3 through CyanogenMod (CM)
See more questions like this: It is available the 4.3 version for galaxy s2 plus, too
Why am I not getting Google apps on CyanogenMod 10.2?
I am not getting Google apps on CyanogenMod 10.2. I just installed it
It seems that you have rooted your phone to another update of this device instead of having the required update for the phone. Uninstall and reinstall Cyanogen mode to see if you can get your Google Play Store to show up to download applications.
The CyanogenMod ROMs are just the basic Android OS and do not offer the Google apps package. You will need to flash the package zip file using a custom recovery like Clockwork mod or TWRP.
You can find the 10.2 CyanogenMod Google apps package download here:
Why can't I download Jelly Bean Version?
My S2 can't find an update to software, so I'm trying to download another one on my PC to download it on my S2 .. but I can't find the 4.3 jelly bean version .. and I don't know how to set it up on my S2. Any help!
To update your Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, please do the following.
- You will need to root your phone first. please follow the instructions in "Rooting Samsung Galaxy S2" section.
- After rooting your phone, Please follow the above "Steps to Update Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.3". ". The latest Android OS version of Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy S2 from Cyanogenmod is 4.2 based, so you’ll have to download this 4.3 based version instead http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23212708291677799 and this Gapps http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip for 4.3 based ROMS.
See more questions like this: I need download file for update jelly bean 4.3
Galaxy S2 4.3 update using ODIN method?
I need to install Android 4.3 using ODIN method. Can you give me the download link?
A download link is not all you are going to need for this process. You will need to follow the steps in the article above, and root your device so that you can get the jelly bean update. The update to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean does not come standard for the S2.
You can, however, install an open source 4.3 update without the Samsung touchwiz UI for your phone. You would not need to use Odin, but instead use the built in recovery of your phone. You can find the download for the S2 device here:
You'll also need to Google apps package, which includes the Play Store, Gmail, etc, here:
You can flash both zip files from your phone's recovery mode menu.
See more questions like this: How do I update my Straight Talk Galaxy S3 to 4.3 or higher
Can you please give me the link to download Android 4.3.1?
Download S2 4.3.1 jelly bean link?
Please refer to the above question in regards to gaining access to the 4.3 jelly bean version and successfully downloading it to your device.
If you are looking for some ROMs for your device, try looking here for the Cyanogen ROM:
or this slim bean
I updated my Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean with ODIN and it is no longer working.
I Update Jelly Bean Version with ODIN My Phone Galaxy S2 SHW-M250S is no longer working. How do I solve my problem?
Was the update completely flashed on the phone? If it was, the phone would have rebooted into the new OS. Connect the phone to the computer and run Odin again. Make sure the com port is lit up, which will indicate that the phone is connected correctly, and with the drivers installed.
Check out a screenshot here: http://screencast.com/t/VHycqecGKxXN
You'll need to put phone in download mode when connected to the computer. To do so, press and hold the “power” and “volume down” buttons at the same time. Load up the jelly bean firmware file and flash again with ODIN. Make sure this time the file is fully flashed and you see the pass sign:
See more questions like this: I want to do update firmware for my galaxy s2 SHW-M250S.so,pls give me that
From the recovery screen, I cannot see "install zip from SD card." Could you tell me where it is?
In the step: "From the recovery screen, choose 'install zip from SD card' and then choose the .zip file that you saved on the root of your SD card." From the recovery screen, I cannot see "install zip from SD card", could tell me where it is?
If you don't have the "install zip from SD card" option on your system recovery, this just means that you are not using a custom recovery. Please install CWM on your phone first before proceeding with the update. To install CWM on your phone, please do the following.
NOTE: Make sure your phone is rooted before proceeding.
- Download CWM for your Galaxy S2 from here: http://clockworkmod.com/rommanager.
See this image http://screencast.com/t/zXuGbQtiXmi
- Copy the previously downloaded CWM file onto your SD card.
- Copy the Android 4.3 Rom you have downloaded onto your SD card.
- Boot into your stock recovery and select "apply update from external storage".
- Select the CWM file you have copied in the previous step.
- You will now boot into CWM recovery interface (this custom recovery is temporary and will be gone after reboot.)
- You will now have the option to "install zip from SD card".
- You can now start on step 5 of "Steps to Update Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.3".
See more questions like this: My Samsung Galaxy S2 is stuck in Android recovery system menu
I have a straight talk unlock phone and want to update it?
I want to put jelly bean 4.3 on my unlocked S2 phone.
Officially, your Galaxy S2 can only be upgraded to Jelly Bean 4.1. To be able to use 4.3 on your phone, you will need root and flash a custom 4.3 firmware.
Please see this article for detailed instructions
See more questions like this: I have a s2 korean version with ICS rom. i want to update it to the possible latetst version of android.please help
Problem with installing Jelly bean and Google apps?
After selecting "apply update from sdcard" and then the jellybean 4.3, it says E: failed to verify whole-file signature and E: signature verification failed.
Are you using a custom recovery to install the jelly bean update? If you are, there should be an option to turn off signature verification. Look for the option called Toggle Signature Verification and turn it OFF. Reinstall the update zip and it should go through.
Check out this screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/nmPfbqRg
Child locked out my phone, can you help me reset to factory setting?
Hi Madara My son locked attempted too many times and locked me out of my phone. I tried going online yt and was able to get to the green guy where it says "downloading... Do not turn off target!" I'm stuck right now and want my phone back and cannot afford to go to get it done professionally. Please assist! Kem
You can unlock your device by performing a hard reset on your device. You can perform the following steps in order for you to reset your device:
1. Turn off the device 2. Press and hold the power+ volume up button 3. Use the volume keys in order to highlight the factory reset option 4. Press the power button to make the selection
Intermittent signal issue on S2-GTi9100?
Intermittent signal issue. replaced SIM card but still have same issue. on jellybean 4.1.2
The Samsung Galaxy S2 has a lot of issues, not only with the device itself, but with the software that is on the device. Contact your mobile carrier so that they can help diagnose the problem remotely to your device.
My phone isn't starting. It stops on the Samsung logo. What can I do to resolve this?
There are several ways for you to try to resolve this issue. Try the suggestions below and see if this solves anything. It may be that your power button has gotten stuck, which would be why you are experiencing this problem during the reboot sequence. Try fiddling with that and see if it is stuck, and if so, whether or not you can unstuck it. If that does not resolve your issue, turn off the phone and take the battery out, then insert it back in. If it is still stuck in the boot loop, your phone likely needs to have a general cleaning. You’ll need to take all the parts apart to clean (in this case, specially the power button), and remove any dirt or grime lurking in your phone. Before taking the phone apart, try to press and hold the power button only for about a minute with extra effort, then after one minute shake the phone. It may sound ridiculous but it can resolve the problem. It’s also possible that a battery issue is keeping your phone stuck in a boot loop or stuck on the Samsung Logo. What you need to do is check to see if the battery works fine. If you own another of the same battery, you can also try swapping it in and checking to see if you have the same issue. If you have the same issue, you need to take your own battery out of the phone and you can use a pick or toothpick or an emery board (Nail File). To fix a potential battery cleanliness issue, look for the three little bronze terminals in the place where you place your battery in your phone and clean them up. Next, gently scrape the three terminals on the battery then insert it back on the battery dock, then turn on the phone and see if the problem persists.
See more questions like this: I have my s2 upgrated till ics wanna upgrade it to jellybean via net wht shuld i do
Is the official Samsung JB available for download?
I would like to install the original Samsung OS. I currently have CM 10, which doesn't have the Sim Tool Kit app. I know the Official Samsung OS does.
All you have to do is go into your phone's settings, tap “About phone” and then tap on the “System update” option. This will download the latest available firmware for your phone from your carrier. Just let it finish download and complete the installation and you should have the original Samsung OS back on your phone.
Note: This will erase your user settings, as well as your Cyanogenmod ROM and root access, if you had it previously.
See more questions like this: Does this procedure apply for the Samsung s2 SGH-i777
It’s loading for 15 minutes and still loading what am I supposed to do?
If you have installed the ROM on your phone and it just keeps on loading, boot into recovery mode by pressing the “Volume Up,” “Home,” and “Power” buttons. Once you have access to the Android recovery, you just need to select “Reboot” for the phone to reboot and use it once again.
If you have tried that and it did not work, follow the same steps to install the stock ROM and start flashing it again. Make sure also that your phone is properly plugged into the computer so that it will not be interrupted during ROM installation.
See more questions like this: What is the latest update software of Update S2 i1900g and how will i update it properly God Bless sir
SIR WHILE UPDATING MY SHW M250S AN ERROR OCCURRED?
WHEN I WAS UPDATING THROUGH AN EXE FILE AN ERROR OCCURRED ...NOW THE PHONE IS ASKING FOR SOFTWARE .PLEASE HELP ME SIR .IT IS AN EMERGENCY
Howikis QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 139,213 times.