Update and Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S4 Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Software Directly vs Update Samsung Galaxy S4 using Samsung Kies
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Lynn, Eng, Alma and 12 others
- 1 This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main VisiHow on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 VisiHow Articles
- 2 Tips, Tricks and Warnings
3 Questions and Answers
- 3.1 Update for Galaxy S4 via Kies not working, message showing up on computer screen?
- 3.2 I just upgraded it but it still shows 4.1.2 not 4.3?
- 3.3 I cannot download firmware neither my device is recognized in Kies. What to do?
- 3.4 When I connect my Samsung Galaxy S4 to my Laptop, Kies starts but it can't detect that my phone needs an upgrade?
- 3.5 Failed to connect the device, The connection to this device has timed out. Please disconnect the cable and try connect again?
- 3.6 Samsung S4 Incomplete Software Update?
- 3.7 I've just updated firmware. It says successfully completed but won't finish?
- 3.8 I cannot finish the update with the computer?
- 3.9 Device is rooted and I can't update it over OTA?
- 3.10 How can I fix my locked phone?
- 3.11 How to update my cell and how to speed up my cell?
- 3.12 How do I get Android Lollipop for my S4?
- 3.13 Is this free or is there a payment?
- 4 Comments
This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main VisiHow on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 VisiHow Articles
Software updates are the manufacturers' way of continually improving their products. These updates are often needed because of newly implemented features, to correct any bugs, or to respond to customers' requests and complaints. It's always a good habit to keep your Samsung Galaxy S4's software up-to-date.
Method 1: Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Software Directly
- 6Tap "OK" when you're happy with your connection settings.A message box will pop-up stating that downloading updates via your data plan will deduct from your monthly bandwidth usage.
- turning Auto update on will ensure software updates get installed as they are released. Turning this off and you'll have to manually check for updates periodically.
- It is advised to download software updates while connected to WiFi. To make sure you're connected, check your WiFi settings.
- Leaving the WiFi only option turned on will ensure you never use any data during software updates.
Method 2: Update Samsung Galaxy S4 using Samsung Kies
If for some reason you're not able to update your phone via WiFi or data, you can use Samsung Kies to check and download updates for your phone's software. Just follow the procedures below to update your Samsung Galaxy S4 using Kies:
Tips, Tricks and Warnings
- Updating may take several hours, so make sure that you have enough battery juice to prevent your phone from turning off before the update is successful. It is advisable that you charge your phone during this process. An incomplete update may create problems with your phone.
- Updating your device using the official firmware will not invalidate your phone's warranty.
- Make sure to back up your device, as software updates may delete data on your phone.
- Make sure you do not press any buttons while updating, as it can mess up the process.
- If your phone has customized software, it is advisable that you flash it with the original software before updating to prevent upgrade failures and other problems.
- Do not disconnect your cable (update through Kies) or your internet connection (over-the-air update) while the update is ongoing.
Questions and Answers
Update for Galaxy S4 via Kies not working, message showing up on computer screen?
I've used Kies to install the latest software update for my S4, it's now telling me to restart the device and disconnect then reconnect the cable, I've done this numerous times, and the message will not disappear from my computer screen, and I don't think the update has been put into action on my device.
- Download the official Jelly Bean 4.3 firmware for your country and carrier.
- Download and install Odin 3.07
- Install the right drivers for your phone. Download Samsung USB Drivers on Samsung's official site.
- Extract the downloaded firmware.
- Open ODIN 3.07.
- Turn off your phone and put it into Download mode by pressing the Home + Volume Down +Power button.
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable.
- Click the PDA on ODIN and choose the extracted firmware file.
- Click on Start and wait for the process to be done.
- Your phone will reboot and you are now on Android version 4.3.
You can check a more detailed discussion on upgrading Galaxy S4 to the official Jelly Bean 4.3 Update and Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S4
The best way to tell if the update went through is by going into settings>about phone and check the Android software version number.
If Kies is not getting the update through, try the update option on the phone. Connect to your WiFi network to avoid data charges and go into settings>about phone>check system updates.
I just upgraded it but it still shows 4.1.2 not 4.3?
I just upgraded it but it still shows 4.1.2 not 4.3?
Make sure the download is complete, either from your phone's over the air update process or through Kies. Use your WiFi connection if you are in a spotty 3g/4g area. You may also be required to do a reboot on the phone for the upgrade to take effect.
I cannot download firmware neither my device is recognized in Kies. What to do?
I have tried rooting the device in the morning but there was a problem and I have got an error as 'Firmware upgrade error. Update with Kies and try again' but since morning I am trying everything but I am not able to download Firmware from sammobile.com, nor Kies, and Kies 3 recognizing my device. I am in a big trouble now, what should I do. please help
Make sure in settings that you have turned off the USB debugging under Settings > Applications > Development. If you have and Kies is still not responding, hard reset your device. Then try again to update the firmware. Hopefully, your device is not bricked. You want to look into using ADB tools instead of Kies to put on the ODIN software.
When I connect my Samsung Galaxy S4 to my Laptop, Kies starts but it can't detect that my phone needs an upgrade?
If Kies doesn't detect that your phone has an update, it means that your phone is already up-to-date.
Failed to connect the device, The connection to this device has timed out. Please disconnect the cable and try connect again?
Http://prntscr.com/9hmvls help me please
- 1Disconnect the USB cable from your device.
- 2*#7284# to launch the PhoneUtil application of your device.Dial the following number sequence:
- 3Choose USB -> Modem and then USB -> PDA mode.
- 4Restart your device and connect to Kies again.Advertisement
Samsung S4 Incomplete Software Update?
Received software updates 3 weeks ago, according to Vodafone store today, updates are incomplete, I am unable to access the internet, WiFi or messaging outside of my home WiFi, advised to check online on how to solve this Put your phone into Recovery Mode and choose Wipe Cache Partition. When the device reboots, check to see if you can connect to WiFi. If not still, then hard reset your device and update the APN settings. Go to a Vodafone location if you are unsure of what the APN settings should be.
See more questions like this: I tried to update the software of my Samsung S4, the first package has been updated with files about 756MB, and 2nd package about 209MB, now there is still additional file about K900MB+?
I've just updated firmware. It says successfully completed but won't finish?
It says successfully completed. Restart the device. Disconnect and reconnect the cable. I've done that 3 times and when I press OK, it says Restart the device. Disconnect and reconnect the cable. What do I do now?
Instead of clicking the "Restart" button, shut it down completely. When completely off, remove the cable(USB). Turn the device back on, and once you see that the screen is on (device name/Samsung), immediately plug the cable(USB) back in. Then press OK in Kies until the window vanishes and Kies reloads the main program. If this last step does not work, you may have waited too long before pressing the OK button after plugging in the cable.
I cannot finish the update with the computer?
Restart the device and disconnect and reconnect the cable
If you are having difficulty updating, follow the suggestions on this page. Sometimes, you just have to hard reset your device and update Kies for the firmware to properly install.
Device is rooted and I can't update it over OTA?
Please help. I installed Xposed installer to update over OTA. It downloads the update but fails to install it. Now I'm trying with Kies, will my device update? You cannot use XPosed Framework to update Lollipop or Marshmallow OTA. It can possibly brick your device. Disable it or uninstall it. Then hard reset your device and try again with a USB cable connection. If you do not have a USB then put your phone into Recovery and Wipe Cache Partition. Then attempt the OTA again. Hopefully, you did not brick your device using the XPosed in the first place. Next time, do some further research on a suggested method as there are numerous posts online about how the Xposed bricked people's devices with Lollipop attempts because it was unsupported for that OS.
How can I fix my locked phone?
My phone works properly but when I lock it up, I cannot swipe anything on the screen, but when I take the battery out and put it back, it works properly again, but when I lock it up again, the same problem appears.
Your touch screen may be malfunctioning. Do not use the lockscreen for now just in case the method you are using now fails. Clean the screen with rubbing alcohol and then pull the battery while wearing gloves, press your fingers firmly all over the back of the device. There may just be a loose connection. Then turn on your device and clear your security credentials.
How to update my cell and how to speed up my cell?
My Korean cellphone is running very slow and Android is very slow, please help me
Free Up Internal Storage Memory on Android Devices is a VisiHow article that will show you how to erase unnecessary storage on your device. You can also use apps like Google Photos to backup pictures and videos in a cloud and then delete them from your device. Apps like Clean Master will delete old call logs and you should set your messaging to delete after a maximum set point automatically.
How do I get Android Lollipop for my S4?
My Samsung Galaxy S4 hasn't gotten the update for Lollipop yet and my best friend said I can use Samsung Kies to get it manually instead of over the air but I need help on how to do so.
This YouTube Tutorial can show you how to update your firmware with Kies. It is being pushed out per device and carrier and you will need to have 3 GB of space available for the firmware to update.
Is this free or is there a payment?
Please see above thank you.
VisiHow is a community of authors and regular people like yourself. The website is free to use and we ask that you pay it forward if you wish by submitting an article or answering a question.
Categories : USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
Recent edits by: Maria, kristine, Nuance