Understand the Basics of Interviewing Someone for a Position in Hotel Reception
Edited by Hotelier, priya, Eng
Hello, and thank you for watching VisiHow. Today, we will share with you some common interview questions for a hotel receptionist position. An important thing to remember if you are interviewing for a hotel receptionist job is that many hiring managers are hiring for personality. There is some interest in skills and qualifications that do go along with the job, but most of the feedback that we've received over the years is that a hiring manager wants excited, motivated and fun people working in their reception. They want entertainers, people who will be very outgoing, kind, and able to have conversations with their guests because that is what makes the guest's experience even better.
- 1One question that is usually the opening question to an interview for most positions is, "Tell me about yourself." This is kind of a catch-all question.It's a good opportunity for us to briefly review our experiences, our education, our previous work experience, our achievements, and our interests as well.Advertisement
- 2The next question is, "Why do you want to work in a hotel?" This question may take a couple of forms.For some, we may not have background in hospitality. For example, my degree is in Political Science, which has nothing to do with tourism or hotels. Therefore, an interviewer may ask, "What interests you about working in a hotel?" If we do have previous experience, they may ask, "Why did you choose this hotel?" This is a good opportunity for us to highlight what we know about their service, and what we know about what they're doing.Advertisement
- 3Next, we get into some behavioral interview questions, such as, "Tell me about a time you exceeded a customer's expectations." We can meet expectations, and we can also exceed them.Many hotels are trying to actually exceed their customers' expectations and anticipate their guests' needs. This will make the guest's stay better, and lead to increased repeat business.
- 5Finally, they may ask, "What makes you the best candidate for this position?" Here is where we have a good opportunity to really highlight our personality and skills.We can talk about what we like. I personally convinced previous hiring managers by saying, before I had any hotel experience at all, that, "I am a lover of travel. I like to go places. I like to visit places. I like to do all the tourist things, even in my own city. I like to help people have fun doing those things as well". There are a number of ways that we can answer this question.
- 6You should have some prepared answers and some scenarios perfectly in mind so that you don't hesitate when you're asked these questions.We all have hesitated before, and we do feel in some cases that this hesitation, especially with the question, "What makes you the best candidate for this position?", could have cost us a couple of jobs in past interviews. Definitely make sure that you are comfortable answering these questions. There will be more as well. You will also have an opportunity to ask your interviewer some questions, if you have any, to learn a little bit about what they're looking for and what they need as well. This does conclude today's presentation on some common interview questions for a hotel receptionist position. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please leave them in the space below.Advertisement
Video: Understand the Basics of Interviewing Someone for a Position in Hotel Reception
Questions and Answers
Tell something about yourself?
As a receptionist what will they answer
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Understand the Basics of Interviewing Someone for a Position in Hotel Reception. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Understand_the_Basics_of_Interviewing_Someone_for_a_Position_in_Hotel_Reception
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Understand the Basics of Interviewing Someone for a Position in Hotel Reception." VisiHow, visihow.com/Understand_the_Basics_of_Interviewing_Someone_for_a_Position_in_Hotel_Reception Accessed 24 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Understand the Basics of Interviewing Someone for a Position in Hotel Reception." Accessed Mar 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Understand_the_Basics_of_Interviewing_Someone_for_a_Position_in_Hotel_Reception.
Categories : Hospitality Industry
Recent edits by: priya, Hotelier