Understand How Honesty Is Practical And Can Bring True Success
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Nate Pepperell, Eng and 6 others
Most people today don't see the point of telling the truth all the time. Many claim they would not have become successful without some dishonesty, or at the very least, a few well-placed white lies. We view advertisements every day that exaggerate their products or misrepresent them. Though politicians are supposed to be looking after the public's welfare, many people view them as untrustworthy, with the ability to spew "alternative facts" with ease. When our youth witness so much dishonesty among adults, they usually repeat the pattern. Many cheat on tests in school and skip classes. They may brag to their friends; painting false pictures of who they are or what they've done. At home, they may even deceive their parents, answering their questions with half-truths and lies by omission. To get money or permission to do something, they may shower their parents with insincere affection and compliments. Many young people feel this behavior is justified. Why?
Why is it so Difficult to Tell the Truth?
Even though parents teach their children it's wrong to lie, while at the same time, demonstrating the opposite behavior. It can be as simple as the phone ringing, and as their child goes to answer, they say, "If that's Irene; I'm not home." Or it might be more serious when they overhear their parents talking about cheating on taxes, or parents lying to each other. Often, children will know about an affair one of their parents is having, and be asked to keep the secret. They may watch you, the parent, in a social situation, being chatty and nice to someone, and later, at home, hear you talk about how much you dislike them. All these things are lies you teach your children, so how can you expect them to value the truth?
Those who strive to be honest are subjected to intense pressure in the following areas:
- 1Who wouldn't enjoy being richer, and acquiring luxuries? Who wouldn't want to score an A+ on their exam, rather than a B-? It's difficult for some people to resist the temptation when they are presented with opportunities for dishonest financial gain or academic success by cheating. A man whose job it is to award contracts on behalf of his company reveals how often he is bribed by prospective contractors. The lure of easy money is a strong one.Temptation.Advertisement
- 2Recently, all over the world, businesses have struggled with poor economic conditions. They're trying to cope with rapidly changing technology and increased competition, both regionally and globally. In desperation, employees may feel the only way to meet performance goals set by employers is by resorting to dishonest business practices.Maximize those profits!Advertisement
- 4In some cultures, it is customary for business transactions to be accompanied by giving and receiving of gifts. Depending on the size and circumstances, the boundaries of honest business practices can easily get out of control. In many lands, crooked officials demand money before performing the duties they are paid to do, and willingly accept payment in exchange for special treatment.Cultural practices.
- 5Those who live in poverty or in countries where there has been a breakdown in civil order, face the greatest pressure of all. When people are trying to survive challenges like these, often the only way they believe they can provide for themselves and their families is by cheating and/or stealing. These toxic situations create an environment where it is normal, necessary, and acceptable - as long as you're not caught. Often, this is a breeding ground for illegal activities, drugs, and violence.Environment.
Honesty Can Bring About Success.
Is it necessary to resort to dishonest business practices to succeed in business? Your reputation for honesty affects your success whether you are aware of it or not.
- 1A man started working for a new company. His employers, without his knowledge, put his honesty and integrity to a series of tests. As a result of his passing this secret test, he's been given more responsibility and freedom and the owners have rewarded me for being honest. His job has been made secure because of the trust his employers have in him.Secret testing.Advertisement
- 2As a struggling business faces failure, the pressure to be dishonest increases. At the same time, these difficult circumstances can also reveal the value of an honest reputation. Gerry's construction business failed during the downturn in the housing industry in the USA. A number of their customers also went out of business still owing them hundreds of thousands of dollars. He approached a competitor to see if they would consider hiring any of his employees. Two days later, they offered to hire him, and most of his employees. He was told that his reputation for good service and honesty was well known. In business, your reputation is so important. Remember, if you are a business owner, that if you have employees that represent your company with dishonesty, it will settle on your shoulders. Following lessons in life, and in the bible, will reap you wonderful benefits including a peace of mind.Integrity.
- 3Earning an income is a necessary part of life. We do have a responsibility to ourselves, and whatever God we pray to, to provide for ourselves and our families. The danger comes when it's more about accumulating wealth than providing, and the money becomes the most important thing. People whose primary objective is to gain wealth find it easier to resort to dishonesty to get it.Provide honestly.
- 4When you earn a reputation for being a liar, people are reluctant to trust anything you say. Just as destructive to the soul - because you tend to believe people are like you and work like you, a liar rarely trusts or believes other people. It's a very unhealthy way to live.Piece of Mind.
How to Maintain Your Integrity in Business
- 1For example, how important to you is gaining wealth compared with maintaining a good standing with God?Determine Your Priorities.Advertisement
- 2Anticipate situations that will challenge your honesty, and plan how you will respond.Decide in Advance.
- 3At the beginning of a new business relationship, tactfully let others know your standards.Make Your position Known.
- 4If you're having trouble with a difficult decision, seek someone you trust for advice on how best to proceed.Seek guidance.
Trust is crucial in any relationship. Resisting the temptation to lie and cheat in business, makes your partner more secure that you would not lie to them, or cheat on them. It creates a feeling of safety within the family. Your children will always know where they stand with you. You will be respected and believed by your family, created a household that's happy, and secure. Integrity is not a coat that you put on, and take off whenever it's convenient.
A Good Relationship With God
One man's job includes purchasing supplies for his company. Sales agents sometimes propose that instead of giving his company the full discount allowable, they will give him a percentage of whatever amount his business purchases. Knowing this would be stealing from his company. He said he earns a modest income, and he sure could use the additional money, but nothing could compare to a clean conscience and an approved standing before God. So in every transaction, he follows the bible principle; Hebrews 13:18, which says to conduct ourselves honestly in all things.
Principles of Honest Business
- 1Don't be lying to one another. (Colossians 3:9)Truthful.
- 2Let your yes mean yes, and your No, No. (Matthew 5:37)Dependable.
- 3Do not reveal the confidential talk of another. (Proverbs 25:9)Trustworthy.
- 4Don't accept a bribe. (Exodus 23:8)Honest.
- 5What you want men to do to you, you also should do to them. (Matthew 7:12)Fair.
- 6Render to all their dues. (Romans 13:7)Legal.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- If you are honest, you earn the respect and trust of others.
- God is looking for people to worship him in truth. (John 4:23)
- Our Creator hates a false tongue, and one who tells lies. (Proverbs 6: 16-19)
Questions and Answers
Why is honesty practical?
The main reason honesty is considered practical by most people is that it actually creates windows of opportunities. A good example is when an employee is honest, he gains his co-workers and boss's trust, making him a good candidate a promotion and/or bonuses. On the contrary, if an employee is not honest on his job, it will only create problems with his relationship with coworkers and management and may lead to a demotion, suspension or dismissal.
Apply honesty in all aspects of your life. Another good example is by returning a lost item to its rightful owner. You'll never know what blessings will bring you if you return it to its owner. You may find yourself finding your ideal partner, the owner owns a big company or the owner may someday repay your kindness back when you least expect it. On this note, consider whether you or your children should accept a "reward" for doing what is right.
By simply practicing and incorporating honesty in our daily lives, we are creating windows of opportunities that may greatly help us in achieving our goal giving us true success.
The biggest reward for honesty is this - when you look in the mirror, you are happy with the person looking back at you. In these difficult times, integrity is not valued as it should be. It is the most important virtue someone can possess. You'll sleep easily, and very important - you won't have to furiously try to remember the lie you told to this person or that person - which must be difficult and exhausting.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Financial
Recent edits by: Nuance, Dougie-1, Rob