Turn an Old Ladder Into Bookshelf
Edited by Shalom, Robbi, Lynn, Rafah Perlado and 2 others
Lacking enough bookshelves but loaded with ladders and trying to lessen expenses? Why not wake your artistic persona up? Let's apply the 3R's of waste management into this artistic craft. Reduce your expenses. Reuse and Recycle your old ladder by giving it a use other than stepping from it to reach high things and places.
Ladders have a very versatile structure. You can turn this item into pretty much anything. Aside from a ladder bookshelf, you may also use them as a shoe rack, towel racks, kids clothes rack and even chandeliers! All you need to have is the creativity to execute such ideas.
What you'll only need to do is to attach pieces of woods from the original structure, repaint or design it up and you're good to go!
If you're doing this for your kid/'s, you may want to let them be involve in doing so. Aside from having fun (arts and crafts - form of bonding), you would also want them to learn things from outside of school won't you? The greatest part is that, you as the parent is the one who's teaching them this simple things of reproducing something out of an old household items.
- 1Old wooden ladderAdvertisement
- 2Extra pieces of woods (probably the same wood used with the ladder)Advertisement
- 3Shelf brackets and screws
- 4Sand paper
- 5Wood finish or paint and paint brush
- 7Drill, bits and screws or hammer and nail
- 8Steel measure tape
Steps to turn a ladder into a bookshelf:
- 1Prepare the ladder.You may first want to smooth-en it up using a sand paper (manually) or a sander. This procedure will bring up the natural look and color of the wood used in the ladder.Advertisement
- 2Measure the steps of the ladder.See to it that it will perfectly fit the original size of the ladder. You will be adding an extension for the books to stand its place with.
- 3Cut the woods using a saw and smooth-en it the sides using a sand paper.
- 4Place the shelf brackets onto the other side of the ladder where you will attach the extra piece of wood.
- 5Attach it using a drill and screw (comes with the brackets).
- 6Finally, settle in the cut pieces of woods on different sizes (height) as the ladder narrowed up starting from the bottom to the top.
- 7Paint your old ladder the way you want it.
- 8You have all kinds of options for creating a real work of art from your ladder.Make a design on it or paint it in your favorite team colors if it's for a child's room.
- 9Locate the perfect area for your bookshelf.
- 10Using a level, mark a spot so that you know precisely where the bookshelf will go.
- 11Nail the ladder onto the wall with the hammer and nails or alternatively, use drywall screws to attach the ladder to the wall.
- 12You have the option to also nail the ladder up horizontally so that it hangs on the wall the long way.
- 13Step back and admire your handwork.Advertisement
- Be very certain that the ladder is securely attached to the wall prior to adding heavy books to the ladder. This is particularly true if you choose to use the horizontal method of creating the bookshelf.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Repurposing Crafts
Recent edits by: Rebecca M., Rafah Perlado, Lynn