Turn Your Samsung Galaxy S5 Into a WiFi Hotspot and Share Your Internet Wirelessly
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Anonymous, Eng, Eric42 and 12 others
- 1 Samsung's most powerful for 2014 has arrived! Samsung Galaxy S5 is packed with one of the most powerful processor, camera and health features. We have all the tutorials, instructions and tips on how to get the most out of your phone on this All About the Samsung Galaxy S5.
- 2 Enable WiFi Hotspot on Samsung Galaxy S5
- 3 Questions and Answers
- 3.1 Is there an icon for my hotspot and tethering?
- 3.2 Samsung hotspot / laptop connection?
- 3.3 S5 Verizon, S3 had a simple toggle to turn on and off without going to settings and digging for it. Can something be put on a homepage for easy toggle on off?
- 3.4 I have a Straight Talk Galaxy S5 and I can not locate mobile hotspot?
- 3.5 I can start the mobile hotspot and connect but get limited connectivity?
- 3.6 Configure mobile hotspot - hide my device?
- 3.7 How do I allow my HP laptop to allowed device?
- 3.8 My S5 will not tether to a 2.4 GHz device?
- 3.9 How to use WiFi hotspot on Samsung Galaxy Ace GTS 5830i?
- 3.10 My internet connection doesn't work?
- 3.11 When I go to settings I don't see tethering?
- 3.12 I'm trying to block all incoming calls so Hotspot doesn't get disabled?
- 3.13 This is from AT&T (Samsung SM-G900A), with full purchase and no contract. Unlocked so I can use local SIM in UK and Italy works fine. The phone can't connect to Google Play Store, hence no updates on any apps, plus some apps have been deleted and I can't download them?
- 3.14 My former neighbor is in my network?
- 3.15 Is there any way to check and see if my hotspot was turned on August 24?
- 4 Comments
Samsung's most powerful for 2014 has arrived! Samsung Galaxy S5 is packed with one of the most powerful processor, camera and health features. We have all the tutorials, instructions and tips on how to get the most out of your phone on this All About the Samsung Galaxy S5.
You can turn your Samsung Galaxy S5 into a WiFi hotspot and share the internet connection of your phone to nearby devices. You can configure your device to function as a mobile hotspot. You can change the device name and put a password to prevent access from unwanted users. You can share your internet connection to a maximum of 10 devices. Take note that you will be sharing your mobile data so you may incur additional charges especially if you are billed on per-byte usage; this feature is useful if you have an unlimited data plan or is billed per minute of internet consumption.
Enable WiFi Hotspot on Samsung Galaxy S5
To enable WiFi Hotspot on your mobile device and the internet connection on your phone wirelessly, follow these procedures:
- 3From the Use_the_Notifications_Panel_on_Samsung_Galaxy_S5, tap on the Settings icon located on the upper right part of the screen (second to the right-most icon).
- 10Configure your WiFi hotspot based on your preference.Tap on Save when you are done setting up your preferences
- Enter your preferred WiFi network's name by indicating it on the Network SSID tab.
- Hide or show your device's network name when other devices search for WiFi networks be ticking (hide) or unticking (show) the Hide my device tick box.
- Enter the preferred password for your WiFi network. Keep your password hard enough to be easily guessed but easy enough to be typed in using the mobile keyboard.
- 12You have just enabled WiFi Hotspot on your Samsung Galaxy S5.
Questions and Answers
Is there an icon for my hotspot and tethering?
I had an icon for my home screen that I could select to access my hotspot. With the Galaxy S5, I have to go into settings, etc. to turn on my hotspot. Is there an icon for the Galaxy S5 that will save me a few steps. It would be great if I could put that icon on the notification panel.
There should always be a wireless notification icon in your Notifications panel that shows your phone is connected as a hotspot. However, some carriers restrict hotspot access, and will not allow you to use your device to connect, or block certain features, even when you are still able to use your device. You will need to check with your carrier to determine why the standard icons are not properly showing up on your Samsung Galaxy S5.
Samsung hotspot / laptop connection?
Can't get my laptop to connect to Samsung hotspot though I see the network in Windows and when I enter the security key..won't recognize
- 1Run your Internet Connectivity Troubleshooter for Windows.You can find this by pressing the Windows Key on your keyboard and going to the Troubleshooting option.Advertisement
- 2If you still can't connect after checking connectivity, then run a troubleshooter for your Network Adaptor.
- 3From your mobile device, go to the Mobile and Hotspot menu.Make sure that you enabled to allow from all devices.
- 4Finally, go to your computer's Network Settings.Find Change Adapter Options and then right click on Wireless Network Connections. Choose the Properties tab and select Configure>Advanced. Now you will enable 802.11n Preamble and set it to Mixed Mode.Advertisement
S5 Verizon, S3 had a simple toggle to turn on and off without going to settings and digging for it. Can something be put on a homepage for easy toggle on off?
S5 VerizonS5 Verizon, S3 had a simple toggle to turn on and off without going to settings
Use and Edit the Quick Settings Options on Samsung Galaxy S5 is a VisiHow article which explains how to customize your Quick Settings on the Galaxy S5.
I have a Straight Talk Galaxy S5 and I can not locate mobile hotspot?
In settings menu, I can not locate tethering or mobile hotspot. In addition, the phone came with version 4.4.2, is that the latest update, because when I check for updates phone states its updated.
With a Straight Talk device, you need to manually Activate Mobile HotSpot features with an additional Mobile Hotspot Data Service Plan. These plans range from $15 to $75 in addition to your normal monthly service plan.
See more questions like this: I have a Samsung S5 and I want to put my hotspot and my son is connected to it but my son won't have internet?
See more questions like this: I can't open my mobile hotspot on Samsung Galaxy S5 verizone, in albania?
I can start the mobile hotspot and connect but get limited connectivity?
Samsung Galaxy S5, Foxfi installed. Tried open network as well. I've tried connecting a PC, a raspberry pi and other phones and they can all see the hotspot and connect but I get no real connection. The same phone works great tethered to a PC by USB.. I have tried: Already detailed. I think it was caused by: Faulty hardware is all I can figure.
Delete the previous pairings on the phone and PC. Run the troubleshooting methods mentioned in the above answer. The wireless connectivity pairing on the PC is the one you will want to configure and you may have to update your network adaptor.
Configure mobile hotspot - hide my device?
I use my S5 mobile hotspot in my car to connect with my car's Android media unit to share the internet connect. I do not want other people to see my S5 device so used the hide my device in configure mobile hotspot settings. However when I did this the media unit lost its connect to my hotspot and could not see it any more. How can I use the hide my device and keep my car's media unit connected?
In your phone settings under WiFi/Hotspot, there is an option to only show to trusted devices. Set your car up as a trusted device and now it will be hidden from others. This is different from the blanket Hide My Device option so your media should remain connected now.
How do I allow my HP laptop to allowed device?
What do I type for allowed device. I have tried: Just wrote HP laptop and it asked for Mac address
Enter "cmd" into your Windows taskbar field. Then when the Command Prompt menu appears, you will type in ipconfig /all. Look for Physical Address in the list. This is the MAC address of your PC.
My S5 will not tether to a 2.4 GHz device?
The 2.4 GHz only devices will not even discover the S5 SSID while dual frequency devices will. Does the S5 only broadcast a 5 GHz tethering frequency. The T-Mobile store has no answer.
Set your WiFi Power Saving Mode on the S5 to OFF. This was a bug in S5 devices that caused interference with routers. While still in the WiFi advanced menu, choose Keep WiFi on during sleep.
How to use WiFi hotspot on Samsung Galaxy Ace GTS 5830i?
I can't use any WiFi connection on my phone for internet even when it is connected.
Connect Samsung Galaxy S4 to a Wi-FI Network is a VisiHow article that can assist you with the proper settings for the Galaxy Ace. If you are unable to still hotspot then your carrier may not allow it without an additional service plan.
My internet connection doesn't work?
Hi, my internet connection doesn't work for some reason, can you please help?
There are numerous reasons as to why you can't connect to the internet. From your router failing to your APN settings being off, Troubleshooot Wi-Fi Problems is a VisiHow article that can help you begin the process of figuring out where the trouble is happening when trying to connect. The easiest way to determine if it is your router is to go to a free WiFi hotspot and see if you can connect.
When I go to settings I don't see tethering?
There is no tethering on my S5 settings
Enable USB Tethering on Samsung Galaxy S5 to Share Internet via USB Cable is a VisiHow article that steps you through the process of tethering. You want to look for USB in your phone settings.
I'm trying to block all incoming calls so Hotspot doesn't get disabled?
Reject all calls does not do prevent that problem. They do go to VM, but the Hotspot gets disabled.. I think it was caused by: It is like the phone has to take the call, so it can decide what to do with it. By that time it is too late. You would need a Galaxy S6 or other phone that has the technology to allow Voice Over LTE. It is just the way it is in that there is only one radio band in the device and it is either being used as a hotspot or receiving a phone call. Phone calls take priority. With the S6, you can toggle between the two options.
See more questions like this: Hotspot getting cutoff by calls?
This is from AT&T (Samsung SM-G900A), with full purchase and no contract. Unlocked so I can use local SIM in UK and Italy works fine. The phone can't connect to Google Play Store, hence no updates on any apps, plus some apps have been deleted and I can't download them?
This is from AT&T (Samsung SM-G900A), with full purchase and no contract. Unlocked so I can use local SIM in UK and Italy works fine. The phone can't connect to Google Play Store, hence no updates on any apps, plus some apps have been deleted and I can't download them
Because you are using the phone in different countries, there are limits to what is available in Google Play. You can change your location settings to see if this makes a difference or try to update the Google Play app. One thing to try immediately is to go to Applications Manager and clear the data and cache from the Google Play app. Then reboot your phone and try again. This may remove any conflict leftover from swapping the SIM. You also will want to second check the APN settings on your device. Make sure they are setup properly for the new SIM card.
My former neighbor is in my network?
Even though my neighbor moved to another part of the city, he is still in my network. I closed down the internet service but he is still in my network. How do I delete him from a WiFi hotspot?
Install Fing Network Tools from Google Play. Run the app and you will see all the devices connected to your hotspot network. You can then tap on the neighbor's device information and block them from access to the network.
Is there any way to check and see if my hotspot was turned on August 24?
I want to find out if my hotspot was used and when. I have tried: Looking in settings. I think it was caused by: There isn't an option to check history of when hotspot was used
There are apps that can track your data in regards to hotspots but it will only track once installed. You could contact your cellular network provider and request the date and time for an uptick in data that is unusual or out of place and then compare to what you normally do. If you suspect someone is on your network then use the Fing app mentioned above.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : All About Samsung Galaxy S5
Recent edits by: vmoore, shen, bruceraf