Turn On and Off the Samsung Galaxy S4
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, Melissa Meyer, Reema and 14 others
- 1 This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. The link to the mother VisiHow is here - USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
- 2 Turn on your Samsung Galaxy S4
- 3 Turning off your Samsung Galaxy S4
- 4 Turn off your S4 without using the power button
- 5 Turn your S4 on without using the power button
- 6 Recover from other issues: blank screen, boot looping, keeps restarting, totally dead, etc
- 7 Tips, Tricks and Warnings
8 Questions and Answers
- 8.1 My phone won't reboot without the power button. What can I do?
- 8.2 I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S4. How do I enter my SIM card's pin code?
- 8.3 How can I turn the phone off without using the button?
- 8.4 My phone just shows its factory mode, followed by Japanese words. Nothing happens after that. Will my phone never turn on again?
- 8.5 How do I get my phone's included charger to work when the battery is inside?
- 8.6 Phone does not boot when I hold down volume up and plug it into my computer?
- 8.7 My 2 week old phone is dark. It was working fine this afternoon.
- 8.8 My phone has a prolonged Yellow SprintSpark screen when rebooting?
- 8.9 My phone reaches the Galaxy logo but doesn't get past it, and then it reboots.
- 8.10 I downloaded and used the Button Savior (non-Root) App to restart my phone. It turned my phone off, but now it will not turn back on with the directions posted here, AND it will not charge when plugged into my laptop or wall charger! What happened? Does that App even work or did the software destroy my phone?!
- 8.11 How do I do this because it is getting on my nerves?
- 9 Comments
Before you even start using your Samsung Galaxy S4, you'll need to turn it on. The first time you boot your device, you'll have to follow Samsung's simple on-screen instructions to ensure that it's properly set up. To turn your phone on and off in the future, follow the simple steps below.
Turn on your Samsung Galaxy S4
- 1If you're unsure about its current charge level, plug your phone into its power adapter before following the next steps.Make sure that your battery has enough power to be able to boot up your phone.Advertisement
- 3Release the power button and wait for your device to fully boot.
Turning off your Samsung Galaxy S4
Turn off your S4 without using the power button
If you cannot use your Power button because it is defective, or you just want to prolong its usable life by not using it, you can follow the steps below to turn your Samsung Galaxy S4 off without using the power button.
- 1Go to your Home menu by pressing the home button, located in the lower-middle part of your phone.
- 2From the Home menu, tap on the "Applications" icon on the lower-right part of your phone's screen.
- 4From Play Store, tap on the "Search" box and search for the keyword "Button Savior".
- 5Choose either "Button Savior Non Root" or "Button Savior (Root) and Download and install the application.
- 11Tap on the "Power off" option to turn off your device.
- A comprehensive tutorial on how to use Effectively Use Samsung Galaxy S4 Even With Broken Keys (Home, Menu, Back, Volume Up, Volume Down and Power Key) is also available.
Turn your S4 on without using the power button
If you can't turn your phone on because its power button is broken, don't worry -- follow the steps below!
- 1Press and hold the volume button for few seconds when your phone is off.
- 2While doing the first step, connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- 3Wait for your phone to boot into Download mode.
- 4After booting to Download mode, press down on the volume rocker to cancel the operation.
- 5Upon cancellation, your phone will reboot and turn on.
- 6You have successfully turned on your S4 without using its power button.Advertisement
Recover from other issues: blank screen, boot looping, keeps restarting, totally dead, etc
*If you don't have any luck with any of the above steps please watch ILuvTrading's tutorial on Samsung booting issues.
Tips, Tricks and Warnings
- If for some reason, your phone freezes and you are not able to turn it off, you can remove the battery to turn it off.
- Make sure that you have enough battery juice to boot up your phone. If you are not able to turn it on, charge it for an hour before attempting again.
Questions and Answers
My phone's power button is broken, and it won't turn on when I follow the steps given (connect phone to USB cable.. etc). When I try to reboot it, it goes to factory mode, and words appear in Japanese. I do not know how to fix this problem. Please help!
It seems that you restored your device to factory settings. Your phone may have a Korean firmware as evidenced by the Korean characters on start up. (Samsung is a Korean company, by the way.) You can change that by tapping on the button below the Android icon when your device starts. If your phone boots up and still isn't using English as the default language, follow these steps:
- Go to your Home screen by tapping on the back key for a few times or by pressing the home key once.
- Once you are on your Home screen, pull down the notification bar by doing a swiping gesture from the top of the screen to the bottom.
- On the notification bar, tap on the Settings icon (gear icon) located on the upper right part of your screen.
- On your phone's Settings, tap on the third tab; this is the Control tab.
- Once you are on the third tab, tap the first option that has the letter "A" icon on it. This is the Language and input option.
- Once you are on the Language and input option, tap on the first option; this is the change language option.
- From the change language page, scroll down until you see English.
- You have successfully changed your device's language.
Also, since you mentioned a problem about your power button. You can use Button Savior as an alternative for your broken Power key. Here's an article on how to Effectively Use Samsung Galaxy S4 Even With Broken Keys (Home, Menu, Back, Volume Up, Volume Down and Power Key).
I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S4. How do I enter my SIM card's pin code?
I do not know how to enter the pin code?
Take note: different SIM card providers have different default pin codes. Some use 1234, while others use 0000. The best way to determine which pin is used with your SIM is to look at the back of the card itself. It should show the default pin code for your phone. If the SIM card does not show it, try 1234 first and check if it is correct. Your phone will warn you about the remaining number of attempts before your phone locks itself for security reasons. If it is more than one, try the pin 0000. If neither pin works, call your cellular service provider to get the correct code.
See more questions like this: Samsung Galaxy S4 mini - automatically starts when battery is inserted
How can I turn my phone off without using the actual power button?
If you want to switch off your device without using the actual power button, you can make use of the application called Button Savior which can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.
This application will let you power off your device without pressing and holding your power button.
You can search for this application at the Play Store and download it for free.
My phone just shows its factory mode, followed by Japanese words. Nothing happens after that. Will my phone never turn on again?
Follow the steps below to reset your phone to factory settings:
1. Turn your device off. 2. Simultaneously press and hold both the power button and volume rocker. 3. Use the volume keys to highlight the Factory Reset option. 4. Press the power button to select the Factory Reset option.
Another way to do a Factory Reset for your device is to hold the power and volume up buttons while the device is turned off to start the Factory Reset process. From here you will need to press the volume buttons to highlight the Factory Reset option and press the power button to select it and begin the process.
See more questions like this: I ran kingo root on my friends Galaxy S4 tablet successfully but it locked up so I held the off button now it goes to start brings up the Samsung logo and shuts down. The tablet was charged to 60% please help as my friend is losing it and mad at me
How do I get my phone's included charger to work when the battery is inside?
I have to remove my phone's battery for my phone to charge. How do I take care of this issue?
You may have a defective charger or charging port. Use the charger on another device to see if the charger is defective or if it's the charging port on your device that needs fixing.
Phone does not boot when I hold down volume up and plug it into my computer?
My phone does not boot when I hold down volume up and plug in to computer. Followed the instructions perfectly but doesn't work.
If this option does not work then it means that you will in fact need to have the power button fixed on your device. Also, aside from plugging the device into the computer, you will need to plug it directly into the wall.
My 2 week old phone is dark. It was working fine this afternoon.
The battery could have been low, but I have been recharging it. What should I do?
You should check your phone's brightness settings -- you may have changed them on accident. If your screen is just unusually darker but still working, it is most likely because of the brightness settings. However, if it's completely dark and not working at all, your screen or another component of your phone may be broken, in which case you'll need to get it repaired. Thankfully, since your phone is only two weeks old, you're still covered for free repairs under the manufacturer's warranty.
My phone has a prolonged Yellow SprintSpark screen when rebooting?
The phone has been showing the yellow SprintSpark screen since turning it back on for a long time. There is no Spark network in Milwaukee area yet. Is it just taking forever to reboot? It's been several minutes.
If your phone hasn't booted up within a minute and a half of starting the boot up process, try taking the battery out and putting it back in. If it still doesn't boot within a minute and a half, take the phone into your local Sprint store to get it checked out for problems.
My phone reaches the Galaxy logo but doesn't get past it, and then it reboots.
My phone is trying to turn on, I see the Galaxy logo, but it shuts down again. We got a new battery, same problem. We tried a reboot, and pushed the volume up for second, but got the same problem.
Your phone is stuck in what's called a boot loop. This happens when the phone's firmware or operating system can't complete the boot process. The phone restarts itself to try again, but the problem persists. You will need to take your phone into your local carrier store or send it back to Samsung to get the problem remedied.
I downloaded and used the Button Savior (non-Root) App to restart my phone. It turned my phone off, but now it will not turn back on with the directions posted here, AND it will not charge when plugged into my laptop or wall charger! What happened? Does that App even work or did the software destroy my phone?!
Samsung Galaxy S4, power button stopped responding completely. I need to restart my phone every day to get service where I live. I downloaded Button Savior as you recommended, but when I selected "restart" on the App, it turned off my phone. Now my phone won't even charge (when plugged in to computer or wall, no battery icon appears). When I unplug and replace the battery, the phone vibrates once and the "Samsung Galaxy" in white flashed across the screen, but nothing else happens. I used the recommended "turning off" method, but the "turning on" method is not working for me, even if I am trying what the article says to do. I have tried: Literally exactly what the article told me to do. Like, exactly. I don't understand why this didn't work! I think it was caused by: Doing literally exactly what the article told me to do. Like, exactly. I don't understand why this didn't work!
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
How do I do this because it is getting on my nerves?
Which part of the volume button do I hold down and how many seconds am I supposed to hold down the volume button
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
Recent edits by: Maria, Jay, Novisionnohow