Turn On Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Option To Keep The Screen From Turning Off By Watching My Face While I Am Reading
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Maria, Zanta70092, Eng and 1 other
- 1 This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy Note3. You can visit the main reference of the article on how to Use Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for a full list of Note3 VisiHow Articles
- 2 How to Activate the Smart Stay Feature on Samsung Galaxy Note3 to Keep the Screen from Turning Off While you are Reading
- 3 Quickly Enable or Disable Smart Stay Using the Notification Panel
- 4 Things to Know about Smart Stay
- 5 Questions and Answers
- 6 Comments
This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy Note3. You can visit the main reference of the article on how to Use Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for a full list of Note3 VisiHow Articles
Samsung Galaxy Note3 has a neat feature that detects when you are still looking at the screen, and prevents the backlight from turning off. This is called Smart Stay. Smart Stay keeps your screen from turning off by using Note3's sensors to detect when you are still looking at the device. So you won't have to experience the frustration of having your screen automatically turn off while you are reading a long web article or an eBook. In this article we will discuss how to activate the Smart Stay feature on your Samsung Galaxy Note3.
How to Activate the Smart Stay Feature on Samsung Galaxy Note3 to Keep the Screen from Turning Off While you are Reading
To activate Smart Stay on Samsung Galaxy Note3, just follow the procedures below:
- 1Find your way to your home screen.You can tap on the "Back" button a few times until it takes you to the home screen or press the "Home" button once.Advertisement
- 4From your Settings, go to "Controls".
- 5Under Controls, go to "Smart Screen".
- 7Once turned on, Galaxy Note3 will keep the back light from turning off as long as you are still looking at your device's screen.
- 8You have just learned how to use the Smart Stay feature on your Samsung Galaxy Note3.
Quickly Enable or Disable Smart Stay Using the Notification Panel
You can quickly turn Smart Stay on or off by using the Notification Panel. To do that, follow these procedures:
- 1Go to your Home screen by either tapping on the Back key a few times or pressing the Home button once.Advertisement
- 2From your Home screen, pull down the notification panel by using your two fingers to do a swiping gesture from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen.
- 3An extended notification panel will show.Tap on the Smart Stay icon to enable or disable this feature.
- 4You have successfully learned how to enable or disable Smart Stay on your Galaxy Note3 using the extended notification panel.Advertisement
Things to Know about Smart Stay
- Keep your eye on the eye. An eye icon on your Status bar indicates that Smart Stay is turned on. If you see the eye, Smart Stay has been turned on.
- Smart Stay is ideal if you're a reader. If you're an avid reader, and you often use your device for reading, you may want to have Smart Stay enabled all the time. This will save you from continually turning the feature on and off. This will also extend your Power button and Home button, as you won't be pressing them to turn on your screen every time it sleeps.
- Smart Stay consumes battery juice. Since the feature uses sensors to scan for your eyes to determine if you are looking at your screen, turning on Smart stay depletes your battery faster than when it's turned off. If you are want to get the most out of your battery, and you aren't a heavy reader, it would be better if you switch Smart Stay off.
- Smart Stay depends on ambient light. Smart Stay depends on the ambient lighting conditions to successfully scan your eyes. If you have enabled Smart Stay, and your phone still sleeps - even if you are looking at the screen, you may be in an environment with low light. Your phone's sensors will have a hard time scanning your eyes and won't detect them - causing the phone to sleep once the time limit for screen sleep has been reached and there's been no activity. To ensure Smart Stay will work, make sure wherever you are there is sufficient lighting for the sensors to scan your face.
Questions and Answers
Note3 Screen Lights up when receiving text messages.
Can you disable the screen from lighting up each time you get a text message? I still want to hear the alert letting me know I've received a text message, however I don't want the screen to light up each time. Thank you for your time.
You can do the following:
- Go to messages app.
- Tap the left soft key.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Notifications.
- Choose Sound Only.
- Uncheck Preview Messages.
Under "Settings," I see no "Controls"?
See above as I don't see anywhere to click "Controls" after going to "Settings." Also I'm skeptical of Smart Stay. Do you know the widget that always keeps the screen lit?
If the Smart Stay feature is not working for you, and the screen is not staying on at all times, you can try other apps/widgets.
Look in the Play Store for 'Keep Screen On; apps. It will function as a widget as well. Check out the details here:
Is the screen supposed to stay on with the Samsung Note3 Flip case?
Every time I close the flip case I expect it to stay on but it goes black. Isn't is supposed to stay lit?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : How To Use Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Recent edits by: Eng, Zanta70092, Maria