Turn Off Facebook Chat Heads
Edited by Train Wreck, Eng
This is a tutorial on how to turn off Facebook chat heads for Android phones, iPhones, and Windows phones. Chat heads are pop-ups that show the face of a friend or contact in your Facebook, or Facebook messenger application. They pop up on the screen of your Android, iPhone, or Windows phone, and let you know that someone has sent you a message.
While you can drag these chat heads into different locations on your phone screen, it can still be frustrating when chat heads continuously pop up. In order to disable Facebook chat heads, you'll need to access the application, and turn off the function. Do note that at the time of this writing, there are no chat heads available on stock Windows phones, and special steps are needed to install the functionality on an iPhone. However, we have included sections for users of those devices so they can disable the notifications that have replaced chat heads on these devices.
Turn off Facebook Chat Heads for Android
To disable Facebook chat heads for Android, follow the steps listed in this section of the guide on turning off chat heads.
- 1Locate the Facebook Messenger application on your Android phone, and open it.Advertisement
- 2Tap the settings button located in the upper right-hand corner of your phone.Advertisement
- 3Tap one time on the chat heads function.
- 4In this window you will push the on off switch located in the upper right of the phone screen.
- 5Once you have disabled chat heads by pushing the switch, you will note that the other two menu options are also grayed out, meaning you can no longer select them.
- 6Congratulations, you have successfully disabled chat heads on your Android phone.
Turn off Facebook Chat Heads for iPhone
In older versions of the iPhone you could use chat heads or bubblehead's as some people call them. Unfortunately the latest versions of the application do not allow and do not support chat heads. This means that on the iPhone there are no chat heads native to the Facebook application or the Facebook Messenger application. However, we are going to show you how to install and set up Facebook chat heads on your iPhone without jailbreaking and without voiding your warranty.
In order to set up chat heads on your iPhone, you're going to want to follow our link to install the updated application created by Facebook which will allow you to get Facebook bubble heads on your iPhone. Note that the catch to all of this is that when you do download the new Facebook application to turn on chat heads for your iPhone, you will not be able to turn them off unless you switch back to using messenger for your chats. This is because the new application has no functionality to disable chat heads. For everyone else looking to disable notifications, follow these steps:
- 1Tap once on the gear shaped 'Settings' icon.Advertisement
- 2Scroll down to 'Notifications' and tap once.
- 3Scroll down to 'Messenger' and tap once.
- 4This will disable notifications.Turn off notifications by tapping the green switch next to 'Allow Notifications'.
- 5If the switch is green, it means notifications are still turned on.Note that the switch should be gray once you tap it.
Turn off Facebook Chat Heads for Windows Phone
The Windows phone, much like the iPhone, does not allow third-party applications to provide pop-up notifications. This means that when you are using any Windows phone, you will not have Facebook messenger chat bubbles or chat heads by default. In addition to system notifications, you will still receive notifications from Messenger if it is pinned to the Start menu. To disable Facebook Messenger notifications on the Start menu, follow the steps below.
- 1Swipe to the left, which will open up your applications menu.Advertisement
- 2Scroll down to settings which appears under S, as all items in this menu are listed alphabetically.
- 3Tap once on 'Settings'.
- 4Once you have tapped on 'Settings' you're going to select 'Notifications + Actions'.
- 5After you tap on 'Notifications + Actions' you will scroll down until you find Messenger.
- 6When you find Messenger, tap one time.
- 7After you have tapped on Messenger once, you will be taken to the control panel for Messenger.
- 8Turning the switch to 'off' will disable notifications on your Start screen for the Facebook Messenger application.You will see the option to select a switch for on or off.
- 9You have now successfully disabled Facebook notifications, in lieu of turning off chat heads or bubbleheads, as they are not currently available for the Windows phone.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Turn Off Facebook Chat Heads. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Turn_Off_Facebook_Chat_Heads
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Turn Off Facebook Chat Heads." VisiHow, visihow.com/Turn_Off_Facebook_Chat_Heads Accessed 25 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Turn Off Facebook Chat Heads." Accessed Jun 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Turn_Off_Facebook_Chat_Heads.