Troubleshoot Your Car Brake
Edited by Shalom, Lynn, Rebecca M., Olivia and 2 others
Every time we travel using our car, we always have it checked over before we leave to avoid accidents. One of the most important parts of the car that should be checked frequently is the brakes. If your brakes malfunction, it can cause an accident, so whenever your instincts tell you that something is wrong with the brakes, you should have the checked right away. Here are some ways to troubleshoot your car's brakes.
- 2Next, pump the brake pedal at least 10 times.While pumping or stepping on the pedal, observe to make sure it goes down properly or easily.Advertisement
- 3If you find that when you pump the pedal and have it steady, then it suddenly goes down, this may mean that it has a leak in the master cylinder.
- 4Also check the lines around the tires of the car to see if one of them is leaking brake fluid.
- 7Now try to step on or pump on the brake pedal again.Do it 10 times, then observe. If the bleeding nipple is still releasing air and not fluid, you should bleed it again until it releases solid fluid.
- 8If the bleeding nipple is already releasing a solid fluid, your brake is now OK.
- 9Last but not least, check the reservoir tank to see if it still has brake fluid.If not, pour brake fluid in to its maximum level.
- 10And there you go - you can now travel safely.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks, & Warnings
- Check your brake all the time, before you start driving. Brake is one of the most important parts of a car. A good number of accidents occur because of brake failure. Therefore, it will be worthwhile to check on your brakes right before you leave.
- Consult a professional for serious brake problems. Even if you personally know how to troubleshoot brakes or there seems to be no serious problems, it would help somehow if you would consult a professional mechanical to get an opinion about the status of your brakes. When you have your car checked, make sure that you cover the brakes as well to avoid any accidents later on.
- Never play around with your brakes. There are careless drivers who like playing around on the road and skidding with their brakes after driving very fast. Not only is this really very dangerous, especially if you are doing so on roads where these types of activities are not allowed, you are also creating a bad impact on your brakes. This can eventually burn your brakes and damage it.
- When something feels wrong with your brakes, trust your instinct. Even if you are not a professional mechanic, if your brakes do not feel right, you may be correct. It is better to be paranoid and have it checked right away, instead of putting yourself at risk.
- Refrain from suddenly halting on the road, unless it's an accident. If you have to stop at traffic lights, make sure that you start halting even when you are still far away from the traffic light. Gradual brakes are better instead of always doing a complete and sudden halt.
- Do not attempt to troubleshoot your brakes if you really don't know how. Although it would be good to learn and discover certain things from time to time, this may not be ideal to do with your car brake. Do not attempt to fix your car brake if you really have no experience in doing so. In case you get into trouble on the road and suddenly have problems with the brakes, it is always better to have a more experienced person to resolve it.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.