Troubleshoot Lumia when It Doesn't Work for You
Edited by Sean Zylow, Eng
Try these fixes if, for example, your phone randomly reboots, freezes or does not switch on, if an app crashes, if you have sound problems, or if the screen is blank:
- Charge your phone. Charge your phone for at least 20 minutes.
- Restart your phone. Press and hold the Power and Volume down keys simultaneously for 10-15 seconds. Release and the phone will restart. After this operation, you may need to set the date and time on the phone. If the problem persists, reset and restore your phone as instructed below.
- Reset your phone.
NOTE: This erases all personal content on your phone and restores the factory settings.
Before continuing with the reset, make sure your phone's battery level is above 50%. To check the remaining battery life, go to Settings > System > Battery saver (Lumia with Windows Phone 8: Settings > battery saver). If you are not able to check it, or the level is too low, charge your phone for at least 20 minutes.
Reset your phone by using the phone settings. Select Settings > System > About > Reset your phone (Lumia with Windows Phone 8: Settings > About > Reset your phone).
However, if you cannot access the phone settings, follow the steps below:
- 1Disconnect the charger.Press and hold the Power and Volume down keys simultaneously. Release the keys when the phone vibrates and then immediately press and hold the volume down key until the phone displays an exclamation mark (!) on the screen. Release the volume down key.Advertisement
- 2Press the volume and power keys in the following order:volume up, volume down, power, and volume down. Lumia 950 XL users: the physical key combinations differ slightly compared to other Lumias.Advertisement
- 3Wait for your phone to reset.During the reset you will see gears rotating on the screen for up to 5 minutes, after which the screen goes blank for about 30 seconds and then your phone will restart.
- 4Go through the initial phone setup.Make sure that you have the date and time set correctly. Select Settings > Time & language > Date & time (Lumia with Windows Phone 8: Settings > date+time).Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Nokia
Recent edits by: Sean Zylow