Tree Style Yoga
Edited by Saira, Eng, Eulalee, Charmed
This is a classic meditation pose. Those who have tried it say that it is a good way to focus the mind. Mastering it will make you feel like a real Yogi. It also improves your balance and posture and evenly distributes your body weight between toes and heels.
- 1Remember to stay focused as this will help you maintain your balance throughout the exercise.Stand upright and focus your eyes on a fixed spot in front of you.Advertisement
- 2Make sure that you are depending on your entire foot area as balancing on your heel or toes will make you lose your balance.Shift your weight to your right foot.Advertisement
- 3You may use your hands to help yourself assume this position.Now place the sole of your left foot on the inside of your right knee.
- 4You may need to hold a chair to keep this position.Allow the left knee to relax, it should not stick out at right angles to the body.
- 5Take a deep breath, close your eyes and feel your body balancing itself on one leg. It actually might help to think of yourself as a tree, rooted to the earth. Many reported that this mental imaging made them feel surprisingly secure.Now bring the palms of your hands together at chest height.
- 6Then place the left foot back to the floor.Hold your position as long as you feel comfortable.
- 7Repeat this exercise three times for each leg.Repeat the process for the other leg.
- 8Once you master the above exercise, try placing your left foot as high up on your thigh as possible.
- 9Raise your arm above your head, stretched to their fullest extent and bring the palms together.Again allow the knee to slope down naturally.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- At the beginning of practicing this pose, you might need to use a chair to support yourself.
- Enjoy the stretch and relax. If you think too much about losing your balance it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- If you feel too worried about it, you will fall, since your muscles will be tense and the soothing effect of the exercise will not be achieved.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Physical Activity & Diet
Recent edits by: Eulalee, Eng, Saira