Tree Style Yoga
Edited by Saira, Eng, Eulalee, Charmed and 1 other
This is a classic meditation pose. Those who have tried it say that it is a good way to focus the mind. Mastering it will make you feel like a real Yogi. It also improves your balance and posture and evenly distributes your body weight between toes and heels.
- 1Stand upright and focus your eyes on a fixed spot in front of you.Remember to stay focused as this will help you maintain your balance throughout the exercise.Advertisement
- 2Shift your weight to your right foot.Make sure that you are depending on your entire foot area as balancing on your heel or toes will make you lose your balance.Advertisement
- 3Now place the sole of your left foot on the inside of your right knee.You may use your hands to help yourself assume this position.
- 4Allow the left knee to relax, it should not stick out at right angles to the body.You may need to hold a chair to keep this position.
- 5Now bring the palms of your hands together at chest height.Take a deep breath, close your eyes and feel your body balancing itself on one leg. It actually might help to think of yourself as a tree, rooted to the earth. Many reported that this mental imaging made them feel surprisingly secure.
- 6Hold your position as long as you feel comfortable.Then place the left foot back to the floor.
- 7Repeat the process for the other leg.Repeat this exercise three times for each leg.
- 8Once you master the above exercise, try placing your left foot as high up on your thigh as possible.
- 9Again allow the knee to slope down naturally.Raise your arm above your head, stretched to their fullest extent and bring the palms together.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- At the beginning of practicing this pose, you might need to use a chair to support yourself.
- Enjoy the stretch and relax. If you think too much about losing your balance it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- If you feel too worried about it, you will fall, since your muscles will be tense and the soothing effect of the exercise will not be achieved.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Physical Activity & Diet
Recent edits by: Charmed, Eulalee, Eng