Treat and Prevent Athlete's Foot
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Ephraim, Send2marto and 5 others
Athlete's Foot is a red scaly itchy rash that can be found on the bottom of the foot, or between the toes. It is more common in men than women, and older adults. It is caused by a fungus that grows on the skin.
Athlete's foot can prove to be a problem for certain people after they constantly wear their shoes and perform their daily activities. When athletes foot strikes your feet you will need to do your best in order to rid yourself of the itchy, bad odor and discoloration of your feet. In order to start to heal your athletes feet you will indeed need to start provide yourself with solutions in order to battle your athletes feet from the steps below.
- 1 Identifying That You Have Athlete's Foot
- 2 Powders and Cream
- 3 Keep your feet as dry as possible
- 4 Feet Hygiene
- 5 Treatment Options
- 6 Questions and Answers
- 6.1 The bottom of my left foot peels (well it peels when I pick the skin off). Then when I peel the skin off it goes too deep and then it bleeds and hurts?
- 6.2 What does athletes foot look like?
- 6.3 Can AF produce symptoms similar to hives?
- 6.4 What is the best cream powder to use to fight athletes foot?
- 7 Referencing this Article
- 8 Comments
Identifying That You Have Athlete's Foot
In order to be able to tackle your athletes feet problem you will first need to figure out if you indeed are suffering from athlete's foot. There are symptoms that you will notice about your feet in order to help you to determine whether or not you in fact are suffering from athlete's foot. Below are a number of symptoms that present themselves to your feet which in fact let you know whether or not you are suffering from athlete's foot.
- 1The itchiness will not be something that you can control or stop on a dime it will annoy you often during the day causing you to have to scratch your feet without being able to ignore the itchiness.Itchiness on your feet will alert you in order to identify if you are suffering from athlete's foot.Advertisement
- 2Burning is also a symptom of athlete's foot but if the burning sensation does not occur fully understand that if your feet tend to feel a little warm then this is also a sign of the burning just not to a high level.Advertisement
- 3Your skin may peel when you are scratching your feet which is very common with people with athlete's foot.Skin peeling from your feet is a sign that you are suffering from athlete's foot this will often occur when you try to scratch your feet from an itch.
- 4Cracking or drying of skin on the feet is also a sign of athlete's foot, your feet will look as if they are really dry which will give off the cracking of the skin on your feet to alert you of a symptom of athletes feet.
- 5Bleeding of your feet is one of the main symptoms of athletes feet that alerts you that your issue is far along than normal.
- 6Redness of your feet is also a sign that you are suffering from athletes feet for this occurs when your feet are burning and also peeling revealing new skin on your feet.
- 7Finding flakes in your shoes and socks will also alert you of the signs of having athletes feet for this is the peeling of your skin but the skin tissues have already fallen off your feet and left for evidence in your socks and shoes.
- 8Check in between your toes in order to find the symptoms of athletes feet which probably have not spread throughout your feet but in fact are starting/forming at your toes and then later on spreading to the rest of your feet.
Powders and Cream
There are powders and creams that are created specifically for you to help aid the athletes feet that you are suffering from at the time. These creams can be purchased from your local drug store in order to help aid you in removing the fungal disease permanently from your feet. In order to get the best results from the creams you will indeed need to use the creams and powders consistently. Below are a number of well known creams and powders that were created to help aid you against athletes feet.
- 1Gold bond foot powder is a well known powder that is used in order to help you to battle against athletes feet.Advertisement
- 2Lotrimin is a cream that you can apply to the parts of your feet that show signs of athletes feet to battle against the infection.
- 3When using these creams and powders ensure that you are using these items consistently for a week to rid the symptoms of athletes feet but understand that you will need to take better care of your feet in order to prevent athletes feet from forming in the future.
- 4After you have cleared up your athletes feet you will need to continue to at least use the powder three times a week or however often in order to prevent athletes feet from returning at a later time.
Keep your feet as dry as possible
Athletes feet can from fro sweat or moisture so it is important that you do your best to keep your feet as dry as possible after performing day to day activities. The dryer that you feet are the less likely you are to have your athletes feet return or better chances you are giving you feet to recover. Fungus likes to grow in damp places so the dryer your feet are the less likely that you will be inflicted with athletes feet. below are also some other ways that you can ensure that your feet are dry and remain dry throughout the day.
- 1Keeping your socks dry will help to keep your feet dryAdvertisement
- 2If your feet become wet in your socks then you will in fact need to change your socks to prevent the growing of fungus
- 3Placing heating packs in your socks will help to keep your feet dry throughout the day
- 4Silica packs are a good way to help keep your feet dry
In order to help you to balance against getting fungus and also ridding yourself of fungus you can do simple things in order to help keep your feet clean throughout the day. If you are available to perform this task below then do your best in order to help battle the disease of athletes feet.
- 1Clean your feet twice a day in order to battle against fungus on your feet
- 2Continue to keep your feet as dry as possible throughout your daily activities and after you clean them for the day.
- 3hang your socks as much as possible during the day to ensure that you are providing your feet with a healthy space to dwell in at the time.
- 4Also when it come to athletes feet you can also get the infection from stepping anywhere that someone has stepped who is suffering from athletes feet.When walking outdoors be sure that you are wearing flip flops or sandals so that you do not step on the ground barefooted where you can pick up harmful bacteria which can cause you to develop athletes feet.
- 5Clean in between your toes in order to help aid the process of cleaning your feet to rid yourself of athletes feet or for preventing yourself from contracting athletes feet in the future.
- 6Make sure that your shoes are dry before you insert your feet into your shoes/slippers.
- 7Do your best to wear shoes that provide a good source of ventilation so that your fee can breath while you conduct your day to day activities.
- 8Understand that a good preventative measure is for you to continue to use anti fungal creams and powders in order to battle against fungus.
- 9When walking with sandals or slipper ensure that you are staying out of damp areas so that you do not allow your feet to become wet which can in fact turn into athletes feet by allowing your feet to dwell in this type of situation.
- 10Be aware of where you walk when you are in a swimming pool area or a locker room for a lot of bacteria is spread on the floors and in the area that can latch onto your feet causing you to have athletes feet in little to not time.
- 11Disinfect your toenails in order to help clean your feet to ensure that your feet are clean
- 12Disinfect your socks as much as possible to ensure that they are clean for wear
- 13Disinfect your shoes to make sure that they are properly clean for wear== Different Types ==
- 14These are fluid-like blisters that develop on the bottom of the foot.Vesicular.
- 15This happens when the skin on the sole or heel of your foot is thick, and cracks. Your toenails can get infected and become thick and fall out also. They are known to last a long time, and can be harder to treat.Moccasin.
- 16The skin between the toes can become flaky, peels, and cracks. This can become very itchy, and also cause a burning feeling.Toe Web Infection.Advertisement
How does one get Athlete's Foot? It can spread easily, and you can get it by stepping in damp areas like in locker rooms, or public showers, or swimming pool areas. If your feet get infected with this fungi, you can easily spread it to others. If it is not properly taken care of, it can lead to bacterial infections.
- You can buy anti-fungal creams such as Lamisil or Micatin.
- Oral anti-fungal pills prescribed by your physician.
- Prescription anti-fungals.
Athlete's Foot has been known to return, so make sure you use all your medicine as directed.
Athlete's Foot Prevention Tips
- Wear shower sandals in pool areas and public showers.
- Make sure to dry good between your toes after taking a bath, showering, or swimming.
- Wear clean socks at least twice a day.
- Use a foot powder on your feet to keep them dry.
- Let your shoes air dry.
- Call your physician if you see an emission of pus.
- Call if you have a fever.
Questions and Answers
Is this athletes foot? I had this when I was single digit young but nothing for years and then all of a sudden there it was.
Yes, by the description that you have given you are suffering what is described and called to be Athletes Foot. This is a fungal infection that is happening to your foot to cause it to peel. This can happen even if a person wears sandals or allows their foot to breathe eliminating the cause that it is because they are wearing shoes that cover up their whole foot.
This can happen to anyone in terms of receiving this fungus from walking on any unclean surface or a number of other ways to catch this fungus infection. Other symptoms of Athletes foot are below:
-Dryness of feet
-Scaling of feet
-Peeling of skin
-Itching of feet
-Odor on feet
Below are a number of ways to treat this fungus:
-Better hygiene or cleaning of feet
-Anti Fungal cream
-Eczema skin cream
Here is the link to more information
What does athletes foot look like?
Athlete's foot typically appears red and scaly-looking, and it most often occurs between the toes and around the front of the foot. The skin might also peel or crack.
Can AF produce symptoms similar to hives?
When I got into bed this evening after taking a shower, my left foot itched slightly, which I of course itched with my other foot, and it hurt towards the center when I itched, almost similar to the feeling of a small piece of glass. upon inspection, I found a cluster of 5-7 almost hive looking bumps on the bottom, is this AF? Note:I have to wear steel toed leather boots for my job
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
What is the best cream powder to use to fight athletes foot?
This is for my husband he is desperate to get rid of it and yet so stubborn please help!
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Treat and Prevent Athlete's Foot. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 23, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Treat_and_Prevent_Athlete%27s_Foot
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Treat and Prevent Athlete's Foot." VisiHow, visihow.com/Treat_and_Prevent_Athlete%27s_Foot Accessed 23 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Treat and Prevent Athlete's Foot." Accessed Apr 23, 2017. http://visihow.com/Treat_and_Prevent_Athlete%27s_Foot.
Categories : Skin Care & Diseases
Recent edits by: Eng, Rcffd97, Maria