Treat and Care For Osteoporosis
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Eng, Nerissa Avisado and 1 other
Osteoporosis, means porous bone. It is called the silent disease because there are only little symptoms of bone loss until the bones become so weak that just a sudden bump, strain or fall, could cause a fracture. This normally happens in the hip area, ribs, or wrist. People may think that this happens only to the elderly, but actually it can affect young people too.
It has been reported that in the U.S., 10 million people have osteoporosis, and 34 million are at risk because of low bone mass. Almost 25 percent of patients age 50 and older who suffer with hip fracture, die as a result of medical complications usually within a year after it happens. What are some of the causes of osteoporosis?
- 1When parents have a history of hip fracture, then the risk that it will occur in their children doubles. If you know that some members of your family are suffering from bone loss, be on guard. Get your bones medically assessed regularly, especially if you are nearing menopause or beyond.Heredity.Advertisement
- 2This can result in lower bone density of newborns. Children suffering from malnutrition can similarly increase their risk for osteoporosis during childhood.Malnutrition of pregnant women and children.Advertisement
- 3The older a person becomes, the more fragile their bones get. Not only are the bone-producing tissues getting worn out or getting older, they may also be suffering from medical conditions or are exposed to medicines that can that can trigger bone loss.Age.
- 4Women suffer from osteoporosis nearly four times more than men. This is because of the reduction of the estrogen level in their systems that protected bone mass when they were younger.Menopause.
- 5A diet that is low in calcium can lead to unhealthy and deteriorating bones. Many of those with osteoporosis can still reverse the bone condition with the right diet and supplements. This is how important diet and healthy lifestyle are in treating osteoporosis and maintaining its health. It is also beneficial to be exposed to sunlight for vitamin D. During winter, taking supplements makes a wonderful alternative.Eating Habits and Lifestyle.
- 6Heavy drinking through the years can disrupt the balance between bone production (by the osteoblast) and the resorption of old bone (by the osteoclasts). Alcohol adversely affects the osteoblast activity by suppressing or slowing down new bone formation. This leads to low bone mass and, if not treated or alcohol intake is not reduced, to osteoporosis.Excessive Alcohol Use.
- 7The nicotine and the smoke can generate huge quantities of free-radicals; these are compounds that stress cells and cause premature aging. The free radicals can damage the cells throughout the body. It can also upset the hormonal balance, including estrogen that is necessary in bone formation and cortisol that triggers bone resorption. Nicotine can also kill the bone-making tissues, the osteoblast, as well as blood vessels that make for inadequate oxygen supply to the bones.Smoking.
- 8There are studies that affirm the significant role of exercise, even at a moderate level, on maintaining the health of bone. Since lack of exercise is common among the elderly, they are most prone to bone loss. To improve bone density, it is important to include physical activity or exercise in a person's (especially among the elderly) health program.Limited Physical Activity.
- Eat Nutritious Meals.
- Limit alcohol and quit smoking.
Alternative Treatment of Osteoporosis
Red Clover is used to help with osteoporosis. It contains estrogen-like compounds. A low estrogen level is linked to an increase of bone loss. Estrogen is a hormone secreted by the ovaries. There occurs a great estrogen loss after menopause.
- Doctors are recommending estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) to help prevent osteoporosis.
- Soybeans are used in many food products, like tofu and soy milk. It also contains isoflavones-estrogen-like compounds that can help protect bones.
- Black Cohosh is an herb used in Native American medicine for years. It contains phytoestrogen (estrogen-like substances) that may help prevent bone loss.
- Red Clover is used to help with osteoporosis. It contains estrogen-like compounds. A low estrogen level is linked to an increase of bone loss. Estrogen is a hormone secreted by the ovaries. There occurs a great estrogen loss after menopause.
- 2Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine.
- Yoga can stimulate the bones to retain calcium, provided the body is supplied with adequate calcium.
- Execution of weight bearing poses (arm balances, inversions, and standing posses) that stimulate the spine, arms, shoulders, elbows, legs, knees, ankles and feet.
- Yoga helps the body to utilize the nutrients it needs. It employs the "squeezing and soaking" actions. This process squeezes out the old or lymphatic fluids and soaks the areas with fresh oxygenated blood or fluid.
- Increased vitamin K intake
- Consumption of 1,500 mg of calcium, equivalent to over 1 quart of milk.
- Calcium tablets - preferably calcium carbonate.
- If you have an increased risk of estrogen-dependent breast cancer, discuss this with your doctor before trying soy or red clover as alternative therapies to prevent osteoporosis.
- Osteoporosis is also traced to a diet excessively high in phosphorous. Sodas and processed foods contain phosphorous. A consumption of this food increases it, while milk consumption decreases it.