Treat a Sprained Ankle
Edited by Eng, Lynn
When an ankle has been sprained, it can be painful and very uncomfortable to the person who has fallen victim to this injury. The good news is that there are some actions that can be taken to reduce the discomfort and prevent a potential visit to the doctor for further treatment. If the pain continues, it is advisable to seek medical attention in case of a more severe situation.
Things You May Need
- 1Once afflicted by a sprained ankle you will want to start immediate action to eliminate or minimize swelling.Advertisement
- 2When possible, rest the ankle by use of crutches.Advertisement
- 3Next you will want to place ice on the affected area.It is recommended to use for no more than 20 minutes every couple of hours for a period of 2 to 3 days.
- 4To help alleviate the pain, Tylenol, Advil, Motrin, or a similar pain reliever should be taken in accordance with the dosage instructions on the package.
- 7Proper footwear can go a long way toward the recovery of an ankle sprain.
- 8If it is necessary to keep weight off the injured area, be sure that you know how to use crutches or a walker correctly.Misuse can lead to additional injuries.
- 9Generally, sprains of this nature heal by themselves within time.If after several days pain is still experienced, you should follow up with medical professionals.
- 10When all else fails, it may be required to have surgery or participate in rehabilitation exercise.If ligaments or tendons are torn or damaged, additional measures may be required.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Treat a Sprained Ankle. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Treat_a_Sprained_Ankle
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Treat a Sprained Ankle." VisiHow, visihow.com/Treat_a_Sprained_Ankle Accessed 25 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Treat a Sprained Ankle." Accessed Mar 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Treat_a_Sprained_Ankle.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Eng