Treat a Sprained Ankle
Edited by Eng, Lynn
When an ankle has been sprained, it can be painful and very uncomfortable to the person who has fallen victim to this injury. The good news is that there are some actions that can be taken to reduce the discomfort and prevent a potential visit to the doctor for further treatment. If the pain continues, it is advisable to seek medical attention in case of a more severe situation.
Things You May Need
- 1Once afflicted by a sprained ankle you will want to start immediate action to eliminate or minimize swelling.Advertisement
- 2When possible, rest the ankle by use of crutches.Advertisement
- 3It is recommended to use for no more than 20 minutes every couple of hours for a period of 2 to 3 days.Next you will want to place ice on the affected area.
- 4To help alleviate the pain, Tylenol, Advil, Motrin, or a similar pain reliever should be taken in accordance with the dosage instructions on the package.
- 7Proper footwear can go a long way toward the recovery of an ankle sprain.
- 8Misuse can lead to additional injuries.If it is necessary to keep weight off the injured area, be sure that you know how to use crutches or a walker correctly.
- 9If after several days pain is still experienced, you should follow up with medical professionals.Generally, sprains of this nature heal by themselves within time.
- 10If ligaments or tendons are torn or damaged, additional measures may be required.When all else fails, it may be required to have surgery or participate in rehabilitation exercise.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Treat a Sprained Ankle. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 22, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Treat_a_Sprained_Ankle
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Treat a Sprained Ankle." VisiHow, visihow.com/Treat_a_Sprained_Ankle Accessed 22 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Treat a Sprained Ankle." Accessed Jun 22, 2017. http://visihow.com/Treat_a_Sprained_Ankle.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Eng