Treat a Sore Throat and Laryngitis
Edited by Lor777, Eng, Lynn, Ephraim and 1 other
A sore throat, or pharyngitis, is often the result of a viral or bacterial infection, although dry or polluted air, tobacco smoke, or excessive alcohol use can also cause irritation. Typically, a sore throat is part of a cold or flu, or the result of post nasal drip from allergies, but in some cases it can be the symptom of a more serious condition that requires a doctor's care.
Strep throat is caused by an infection of streptococcal bacteria, and if left untreated can cause serious complications. Symptoms usually include a bright red and severely sore throat, swollen tonsils and glands, and a fever.
How to treat a sore throat
A sore throat can be a painful and bothersome sickness to go through at times. Having a sore throat can hurt you when you try to speak, eat or do anything other actions that requires you to use your voice. At the same time of this sickness it can impair everything dealing your vocal chords as well so in many peoples cases they want o just get rid of this sickness as quick as possible. Follow below in order to get several steps and trick that you can use in order to relieve yourself from this sickness.
Resting is the Best Aid
When dealing with a sore throat getting a lot of rest can help you to overcome this sickness by allowing your body to heal overnight or during the day to be strong enough to battle the sickness. A sore throat can alert you that you are going to be facing another sickness coming up such as the flu or a common cold. Resting will allow you to recover in many ways when battling your sickness.
- 1Staying home from school when having a sore throat is not a bad idea but understand that while at home you should in fact be resting in order to help your body battle against the sickness.Advertisement
- 2If you can find time to rest at work then it is important hat you take a sick day in order to allow you to recover well against your sore throat.Advertisement
- 3Rest before completing any tasks that need to be completed throughout the day and also rest between completing tasks allowing your body to be able to sit and rest in the meantime throughout the day.
- 4Do not exercise if you are prone to exercising daily in order to allow your body to recover because by exercising you are tiring out your body more and lessening the chance for your body to battle against your sore throat.
Drink a lot of Fluids
When you have a sore throat an easy way to cool down the throat is by drinking fluids. It is important to drink fluids while having a sore throat so that you will be able to battle against the bacteria that is in your throat in order to help the healing process. Along with drinking the fluids ensure that the fluids are of good health rather than anything that can cause you more harm such as alcohol. Here are a couple of drinks that you can consume in order to aid your sore throat.
- 1Water is a good fluid to partake in so that you can cool down and clean your throat during your sicknessAdvertisement
- 2Orange Juice will provide you with the necessary nutrients and vitamins needed in order to fight that bad bacteria within your body
- 3Warm tea will help you to soothe your throat while providing vitamins needed to battle against the bad bacteria
- 4Milk should be consumed when going through sore throatiness
When drinking your fluids ensure that you are consuming a good amount of fluids daily rather than not taking the necessary amount of fluids to aid your health in getting better
Honey and Lemon
Honey and lemon has been the remedy against having a sore throat for years for so many people and have actually proven to work against your sore throat. Making this combination will help some people in terms of using a lot of money for these are household items and also if you have to purchase these items they will not cost a lot at your local store. The combination of this tea helps to soothe your sore throat with the warm tea and the vitamins provided by the lemon and honey. This combination will provide a way to clean out all the mucus in your throat which will help the healing process. This will in fact heal your situation but it will only be temporary and not last forever at time but by continuing to drink this combination you will ultimately eliminate all the mucus in your throat promoting your wellness.
Warm Fluids Recommended
As stated above in the drink a lot of fluids section understand that fluids also include teas that you can get your hand on at the time. If you do not have access to one of these beverages then understand that there are alternatives that you can take in order to help battle the mucus in your throat. Below are types of teas that you can consume in order to help relieve the mucus in your throat.
- 1Green Tea is a good drink that you an drink to help your sickness
- 2Lemon Tea as suggested earlier is a good drink to take
- 3Chicken noodle soup can help you in order to help to soothe your sore throat over time
- 4Beef soup
- 5Vegetable soup
- 6Barley soup
There are other things that you can purchase in order to help aid your recovery from throat soreness. Running to your local pharmacy can help you to purchase medicine that can help you to solve your soreness for a short period of time. Below are a couple of things that you can purchase in order to help aid you temporarily.
- 1Lozenges can come in a variety from the tissue that you an purchase and put on your tongue to help soothe your throat to sprays that you can purchase to spray down your throat.
- 2Peppermint tea can be drank as well or you can purchase lozenges to go into your tea in order to drink to soothe your throat.
- 3Cough syrup can help to soothe your throat momentarily but should be taken by the dosages provided on the label.A lot of people take cough syrup so often that they get intoxicated or dependent on the syrup. Do your best to take the amount that is necessary in order to help aid your sore throat temporarily.
- 4Non Steroidal anti inflammatory drugs can help to release inflammation in your throat which in turn will help you in order to rid yourself of your sore throat as quick as possible.
- 5Resting your voice can also prove to be a medicine that can have a good affect on your for by resting your voice you are allowing your throat to successfully heal itself through natural means.
- 6Listerine and other anti septic can help to fight the bacteria in your throat through gargling effectively.While brushing you teeth in the morning at night take time out to gargle Listerine or any other anti septic in order to help eliminate the bacteria in your throat. This can be a very effective tool against battling against your sickness. Ensure that you are gargling for about 30 seconds to a minute to allow the Listerine to set into your throat.
- 7Pouring yourself a spoonful of honey will lubricate your throat thus allowing the mucus in your throat to exit out smoother from your throat.This allow you to be able to bring up the mucus smoothly rather than allowing it to sit in your throat.
- 8Gargling with salt water will also help you to loosen up or eliminate the bacteria in order to safely remove all the mucus out of your throat easily.Gargle for also 30 seconds to 1 minute when performing this option.
- 9Drink vinegar if you are a person who likes vinegar for this will allow the acid in the vinegar to break down the mucus in your throat which will make it easier to pass the mucus out of your throat.
- 10Using a hot towel place it on your face in order to open up the pours on your face also allowing the steam and warmth to break up the mucus in your throat.Do this several times when available in order for you to break up the mucus effectively with each use.
- 11Chew on some garlic in order to allow the chemicals within garlic to break down the mucus in your throat effectively.When it comes to a clove of garlic ensure that you are only sucking on the garlic rather than fully eating the garlic.
- 12Eat some marshmallows in order to lubricate your throat which will allow the mucus to pass out of the throat easily.Marshmallows will not kill the bacteria in the your throat but it will soothe your throat with its slippery texture while allowing the mucus to pass through the throat.
See Your Doctor
If you have been suffering with a sore throat for over a couple of days then understand that it is time that you seek the advice and counsel from a doctor for your situation cannot be relieved by personal means. Do not be afraid to see a doctor because they will be able to give you the best information in regards to your sore throat also they will let you know if you are suffering from something else which can sometimes be the reason for having a sore throat for a long period of time.
- 1Vitamin C can be something that will help you to keep our throat lubricated as well as fight the bacteria in your throat.You can purchase fruits that contain vitamin C in your local grocery store such as oranges and lemons. Give your body an abundance of vitamin C in order to help you in your situation for by pounding vitamin C into your body you will give you body the best chance at fighting against your sore throat.
What not to do
When you have a sore throat there are a number of things that are not recommended that you do while trying to battle your throat soreness.
- 1Do not scream while having a sore throat
- 2Do not smoke while having a sore throat
- 3Do not eat anything that is gritty in texture
- 4Do not kiss anyone for you will transfer the disease to them and it will go back and forth if you are in constant contact with them on the daily basis.
- 5Try your best to clean anything that goes in your mouth such as your fingers, tooth brush or etc in order to increase your chances of keeping the sickness as bay when you become fully healthy in the future.
- 6Use over the counter pain relievers.
- 7Use a salt water mixture to gargle with several times a day.
- 8Use throat lozenges to soothe inflamed mucus membranes.
- 9Eat a soft or liquid diet to avoid irritating the throat.
- 10Drink plenty of water as long as your fluid intake has not been limited by your doctor.
- 11Get a lot of rest.
- 12If you smoke, quit!
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the larynx (voice box), which is located at the top of the windpipe. When the vocal cords, which are part of the larynx, become inflamed, they swell and cause hoarseness and distortion of the voice. Laryngitis is usually identified by its primary symptom, hoarseness. Other symptoms can include loss of voice, tickling, rawness or pain in the throat, or a constant need to clear your throat. Laryngitis may be caused by illnesses such as the common cold, bronchitis, or the flu or by the following:
- Shouting, singing, or excessive talking.
- Inhaling irritating chemicals.
- Excessive alcohol intake.
- Heavy smoking.
How to treat laryngitis
- 1Rest your voice.
- 2Inhale steam.
- 3Drink lots of liquids, especially warm, soothing ones, only if your fluid intake has not been limited by your doctor.
- 4Do not smoke.
- 5Gargle with warm salt water to sooth the throat.
- 6Take antihistamines to relieve symptoms caused by allergies.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Do not by any means give aspirin to children or teenagers.
- There is no specific medical treatment for laryngitis, but you may be able to relieve the symptoms.
- If laryngitis is caused by exposure to irritants or alcoholism, the cause must be dealt with directly before the symptoms can be eliminated.
- Seek emergency care if you have severe difficulty breathing due to your sore throat or laryngitis.
- Call your doctor if you have severe pain and swelling.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Physical Health
Recent edits by: Ephraim, Lynn, Eng