Treat a Sore Throat and Laryngitis
Edited by Lor777, Eng, Lynn, Ephraim and 1 other
A sore throat, or pharyngitis, is often the result of a viral or bacterial infection, although dry or polluted air, tobacco smoke, and excessive alcohol use can also cause irritation. Typically, a sore throat is part of a cold or flu, or the result of postnasal drip from allergies or sinus problems, but in some cases it can be the symptom of a more serious condition that requires a doctor's attention.
- 1 Important Facts about Sore Throats
- 2 How to Treat a Sore Throat
- 3 What Not To Do
- 4 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 5 Referencing this Article
- 6 Comments
Important Facts about Sore Throats
There are some things to know about sore throats and Laryngitis. Please keep reading to treat and protect yourself from sore throats.
See Your Doctor
If you have been suffering with a sore throat for more than a couple of days, it's time you sought the advice and help from your doctor, as it seems your condition cannot be remedied at home. Do not be afraid to see a doctor because they will be able to give you the best information regarding your sore throat, the cause of it, and any medical attention you'll need. A doctor will also be able to diagnose if there's another reason or illness causing a long-term sore throat. This is something you always want to catch sooner, rather than later.
Causes of Strep Throat
Strep throat is caused by an infection of streptococcal bacteria, and if left untreated can cause serious complications. Symptoms usually include a bright red and severely sore throat, swollen tonsils and glands, and a fever.
Treatment for Strep Throat
Usually a doctor will diagnose you with strep throat. If your sore throat is accompanied by a fever, and the inside of your mouth is white, definitely go to your doctor for treatment. If it is Strep Throat, he will put you on an antibiotic to treat the infection. Antibiotics inhibit the spread of bacteria and infections. Several types of antibiotics are available. However, penicillin and amoxicillin are the most common medications given for a strep infection. After you've finished your prescription – always take it until it's done – get to a health food store and get some acidophilus – which will replace the flora the antibiotic wipes out of your intestines, but you need. Plain yogurt – without sugar – will do this as well, but at a slower rate.
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the larynx (voice box), located at the top of the windpipe. When the vocal cords, which are part of the larynx, become inflamed, they swell and cause hoarseness and distortion of the voice. Laryngitis is usually identified by its primary symptom, hoarseness. Other symptoms can include loss of voice, tickling, rawness or pain in the throat, or a constant need to clear your throat. Laryngitis may be caused by:
- Illnesses such as the common cold, bronchitis, or the flu.
- Shouting, singing, or excessive talking.
- Inhaling irritating chemicals.
- Excessive alcohol intake.
- Heavy smoking.
Treatment for Laryngitis
- 1Rest your voice.Advertisement
- 2Inhale steam.Advertisement
- 3Drink lots of liquids, especially warm, soothing ones, only if your fluid intake has not been limited by your doctor.
- 4Do not smoke.
- 5Gargle with warm saltwater to sooth the throat.
- 6Take antihistamines to relieve symptoms caused by allergies.
How to Treat a Sore Throat
A sore throat can be a painful and bothersome sickness to go through at times. Having a sore throat can hurt you when you try to speak, eat or do anything other action that requires you to use your voice – even swallowing can hurt. All that's on your mind is how to get rid of the sore throat – especially if you need to use your voice – either singing or speaking – for your job. Follow the suggestions below in order to get learn some remedies, tricks and ways to soothe a sore throat.
Resting is the Best Aid
When dealing with a sore throat, getting a lot of rest can help you to overcome this sickness by allowing your body to heal overnight or during the day to be strong enough to battle the sickness. Sometimes, a common cold or the flu starts with a sore throat; so it's an indication things are going to get worse. Resting will allow you to recover faster, both the issues you have with your throat, and anything else lingering in the wings.
- 1Staying home from school when having a sore throat is not a bad idea but understand that while at home you should in fact be resting in order to help your body battle against the sickness, and not playing video games.Advertisement
- 2If you can find time to rest at work then it is important hat you take a sick day in order to allow you to recover from your sore throat.
- 3Also, it's important to rest between completing tasks, allowing your body to be able heal.Rest before completing any tasks that need to be completed throughout the day.
- 4By exercising, you are tiring out your body more and lessening the chance for your body to battle against your sore throat.If you are used to exercising daily, forgo exercising in order to allow your body to recover.
Drink Plenty of Fluids
When you have a sore throat, an easy way to cool down your throat is by drinking fluids. It is important to drink fluids when you have a sore throat. This helps to battle the bacteria in your throat in order to help the healing process. Along with drinking the fluids ensure that the fluids are healthy rather than anything that can cause you more harm such as alcohol and drinks that contain sugar. When drinking your fluids, make sure you are taking in enough of them. Your body loses a lot of water when you're ill, especially if you have a fever. Here are a few drinks that will help, rather than hinder the process of healing your sore throat.
- 1Not too cold, though, as that's difficult to drink even when you don't have a sore throat.Water is best.
- 2Orange Juice will provide you with the necessary nutrients and vitamins needed in to fight that bad bacteria carousing around your body.
- 3Warm tea will help you to soothe your throat while providing vitamins needed to battle against the bad bacteria
- 4Milk and dairy products should NOT be consumed while you have a sore throat.
Honey and Lemon Tea
Honey and lemon has been the remedy against having a sore throat for years. Some wonderful things about honey and lemon:
- 1It's not expensive.Cost.
- 2If you don't already have the ingredients in the house, they are simple to get.Availability.
- 3The combination of this tea helps to soothe your sore throat with the warm tea and the vitamins provided by the lemon and honey. This drink will help to clear the mucus from your throat, which will help the healing process. It's also very soothing. Drink at least three cups a day.Healthy and Helpful.
- Boil water.
- Put a big tablespoon of honey in a cup.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon.
- Pour hot water into cup.
- Alternatively, add a teaspoon cayenne pepper to your tea. Cayenne contains almost every mineral your body requires.
Warm Fluids Are Recommended
As stated above, warm drinks are soothing, and cold drinks will aggravate a sore throat. There are other teas that are good for sore throats, and hot drinks/soups that will heal that bothersome throat as quick as possible. Below are types of teas and soups that are good for you to consume in order to alleviate the mucus, and relieve the pain of a sore throat.
- Green Tea.
- Lemon Tea.
- Peppermint Tea.
- Licorice Root Tea.
- Marshmallow Root Tea.
- Chicken noodle soup.
- Beef soup
- Vegetable soup
- Barley soup
There are other things you can purchase to help aid your recovery from throat issues. It's always good to try home remedies first, as things you purchase at your local pharmacy will help, but they are harder on your system and come with their own side effects. Below are a couple of things you can purchase to help ease the discomfort of a sore throat.
- 1Lozenges can come in a variety from the tissue that you can purchase and put on your tongue, that will slowly dissolve and soothe your throat, to sprays you use directly on the throat.
- 2Peppermint lozenges to go into your tea in order to drink to soothe your throat.
- 3A lot of people take cough syrup so often that they get intoxicated or dependent on the syrup. Do your best to take the recommended dosage.Cough syrup can help to soothe your throat momentarily but should be taken by the dosages provided on the label.
- 4Non Steroidal anti inflammatory drugs can help to release the inflammation in your throat, which in turn will help you get rid of that sore throat as quick as possible.
- 5Gargle with Listerine in the morning after you've brushed your teeth, and in the evening, before bed. Listerine will help kill the bacteria in your throat. This can be a very effective tool against battling against your sickness. Make sure that you gargle for at least 30 seconds to a minute to allow the Listerine to go to work on your throat.Listerine and other antiseptics can help to fight the bacteria in your throat by gargling effectively.
- 6This allows you to be able to expel the mucus smoothly, rather than allowing it to sit in your throat.Pouring yourself a spoonful of honey will lubricate your throat thus allowing the mucus in your throat to exit from your throat.
- 7Gargle for 30 seconds to 1 minute several times a day.Gargling with salt water will also help you to loosen or eliminate the mucus from your throat.
- 8Apple cider vinegar is best.Drink vinegar if you are a person who likes vinegar for this will allow the acid in the vinegar to break down the mucus in your throat which will make it easier to pass the mucus out of your throat.
- 9Do this several times when available in order for you to break up the mucus effectively with each use.Place a hot towel on your face in order to open up the pours on your face also allowing the steam and warmth to break up the mucus in your throat.
- 10When it comes to a clove of garlic, ensure that you are only sucking on the garlic rather than fully eating the garlic.Chew on some garlic in order to allow the chemicals within garlic to break down the mucus in your throat effectively.
- 11You can purchase fruits that contain vitamin C in your local grocery store such as oranges and lemons. Give your body an abundance of vitamin C in order to help you in your situation by pounding vitamin C into your body you will give you body the best chance at fighting your sore throat.Vitamin C can be something that will help you to keep our throat lubricated as well as fight the bacteria in your throat.
What Not To Do
When you have a sore throat, there are a number of things that you should not do while trying to battle your throat soreness. When you have a sore throat:
- Do not scream.
- Do not smoke.
- Do not eat anything with a gritty texture.
- As tempting as it might be, do not kiss anyone. Someone you love enough to kiss, is someone you should love enough not to get them sick as well. And if you do get them sick, you might get better, just in time for them to make you sick again.
- 1This will increase your chances of keeping the sickness as bay when you become fully healthy in the future.Try your best to clean anything that goes in your mouth such as your fingers and your toothbrush.AdvertisementAdvertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Do not, by any means give aspirin to children or teenagers.
- There is no specific medical treatment for laryngitis, but you may be able to relieve the symptoms.
- If laryngitis is caused by exposure to irritants or alcoholism, the cause should be dealt with directly before the symptoms can be eliminated.
- Seek emergency care if you have severe difficulty breathing due to your sore throat or laryngitis.
- Call your doctor if you have severe pain and swelling.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Treat a Sore Throat and Laryngitis. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 30, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Treat_a_Sore_Throat_and_Laryngitis
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Treat a Sore Throat and Laryngitis." VisiHow, visihow.com/Treat_a_Sore_Throat_and_Laryngitis Accessed 30 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Treat a Sore Throat and Laryngitis." Accessed Mar 30, 2017. http://visihow.com/Treat_a_Sore_Throat_and_Laryngitis.
Categories : Physical Health
Recent edits by: Ephraim, Lynn, Eng