Treat Nausea and Airsickness Using Ginger
Edited by Eng, Lynn
Have you tried traveling to other places by plane or cruise ship, and you felt like you wanted to vomit? If so, you might have experienced motion sickness, otherwise known as airsickness. Motion sickness is also referred to as travel sickness, sea sickness, and car sickness. The first sign that you may get motion sickness is the feeling of uneasiness, which will make you want to vomit. Nausea is the term used if you feel like you are going to throw up. Other symptoms might include:
- 2Pale appearance on faceAdvertisement
- 3Cold sweating
- 4Abdominal discomfort
- 5Shallow or rapid breathing
Some people are immune to traveling by air or other forms of vehicle. They might have experienced motion sickness on their first travel, but they have probably gotten used to it after traveling many times. Perhaps, you may also become immune to it, if you often travel. Motion sickness is not a serious disease, and the feeling will just disappear once you get off the vehicle. However, it may linger for some people who are not used to traveling, and sometimes might last for up to a week.
Remedies for motion sickness
Below are some helpful remedies that you may try to treat nausea from airsickness. Take note that some of these may or may not help you prevent or treat motion sickness completely.
- 1Over-the-counter medicines.Antihistamines are good medications for treating nausea from airsickness. Doctors usually recommend this if you always feel like you are going to vomit when riding in any types of vehicle. Other medicines containing meclizine, diphenhydramine, and dimenhydrinate are also effective in treating nausea. The most popular over-the-counter medicines containing the aforementioned ingredients include Benadryl, Bonine, and the original Dramamine. You should take the medicine an hour before traveling. If you have asthma, glaucoma, high-blood pressure or any other health issues, see your doctor first before taking any medications, because these chemical ingredients could worsen your health condition.
- 2Acupuncture.Although there's no scientific research about acupuncture as an effective treatment for nausea or motion sickness, some people have tested it prior to their travel, and almost all of them said that it is effective in treating motion sickness. They claimed that they did not experience the nausea feeling when they traveled on a plane or cruise ship. You may try acupuncture, as it may not just treat travel sickness but also works wonders for other ailments.
- 3Gaze at a certain spot in the vehicle.If you are going to ride a car, it is better if you steadily sit in the front of the car and just gaze at a certain spot. This is because the person's brain senses movement through the eyes, inner ears, and even some parts of the body. If the brain receives signals that do not match, this would be the time that he or she gets motion sickness, according to some health care professionals. However, if your eyes are not moving, it will send message to your brain that you aren't moving. This way, you will likely not feel motion sickness. So, gaze at a certain spot, like the vehicle dashboard, all the time when riding a vehicle.
Ginger for treating and preventing airsickness
Ginger is an incredible herb, because it works wonders in treating and relieving ailments and even some serious diseases. It's also good to know that ginger is effective in treating and preventing travel sickness. Some take ginger supplements to combat the occurrence of motion sickness when traveling, and some make homemade ginger herbal remedies to prevent it. In fact, herbal medicine is better than modern medicine, because it doesn't cause chronic side effects. If you are interested in learning more about ginger herbal medicine for treating motion sickness, read the tips below:
- 1Powdered ginger capsules.Today, a lot of people believe in the efficacy and health benefits of ginger. They prefer to take safe herbal medicine rather than conventional medicine. Some don't know how to prepare ginger herbal medicine, so they just buy over-the-counter ginger capsules instead. It is still effective in reducing the feeling of vomiting and uneasiness, but it doesn't guarantee a successful cure for airsickness.Advertisement
- 2Slices of fresh raw ginger.You may chew some slices of fresh raw ginger before traveling. This relieves stomach problems, including upset stomach and nausea. Don't forget to consume only one quarter ounce piece of ginger. This is the recommended amount of consumption for treating nausea according to some health care professionals at the University of Maryland Medical Center.
- 4Ginger snacks.Replace the foods that may trigger motion sickness with ginger snacks, like candied ginger. This is a great snack, especially for a long airplane or cruise ship trip, because you might feel hungry.Advertisement
While some people claim that ginger did not actually relieve or treat their airsickness or other conditions, several people strongly believe in the miraculous health benefits of it, especially those who come from India.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Do not take airsickness medications if you have any health issues like enlarged prostate, stomach ulcers, hypertension, diabetes, constipation, glaucoma etc. The medications, especially antihistamines, are likely to create negative side effects.
- Never use antihistamine medications before or while driving a vehicle. This may cause drowsiness.
- Never use airsickness medications when you are pregnant. See your doctor first before taking any medications.
- Don't give your children medications unless suggested by your doctor. Ask your doctor about some motion sickness medications suitable for children.
- Children who are under the age of two should not be treated with any ginger herbal medicine, as it could cause some negative side effects.
- Ginger can cause negative effects in some people, such as diarrhea, heartburn, and stomach discomfort. So, if you want to treat motion sickness by using ginger, make sure that you only consume a small amount of it.
- Do not take ginger if you are on your period. Some women have reported abnormal menstrual bleeding while drinking ginger drinks or taking ginger supplements.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Ginger Usage & Benefits
Recent edits by: Eng