Treat Dry and Rough Skin
Edited by Geraldin Carniyan, Maureen D., Robbi, Eng and 1 other
Dry skin is the lack of moisture in the skin. This happens when the skin's outer (stratum corneum) layer loses water. This layer of the skin has a very important role of protecting the inner layers so when it starts losing water, we start experiencing itchiness and flaking. It doesn't only look unattractive but it also makes your skin prone to irritations. While some people experience this only during very cold or very hot weather, there are some who have been suffering from dry skin for a long time and would need long term treatment for it. Dry skin is indeed frustrating, but the good news is you can do something about it.
So in other words, dry skin is a result of dehydration or lack of water in the body. Drinking a lot of water and other fluids like fruit juices can help re-hydrate and lessen the drying of skin. Avoiding washing your face with hot water could help in retaining it's moisture. The best remedy for dry skin is moisturizing.
Causes of dry skin
Before you can treat dry skin, you must first know the possible reason for why it occurs and the possible outcomes of not being able to address it. The following is the list of dry skin's causes.
- 1This results in the skin being flaky and feeling tight. Even people who do not normally have dry skin experience this dilemma during the winter season.Advertisement
- 3There are also some beauty products that have ingredients that could be harmful to the skin. Some of these ingredients are sodium lauryl sulphate, diethanolamine, (DEA) monoethanolamine, (MEA) triethanolamin (TEA) and FD&C color pigment.
How to prevent dry skin?
- 2Skip harsh soaps and scrubs.
As we learned, using products that contain harsh chemicals can make the skin even worse instead of helping it. Here is a very helpful way of exfoliating your skin naturally using oatmeal so you can take away that dry and flaky skin.
- 1What you need:
- 1/4 cup of oatmeal
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. of honey (or more if you desire)
- 5-8 tbsp. of olive oil or your favorite beauty oil (or more if you desire)
- A bowl
- Pour the brown sugar into the bowl.
- Add the oatmeal.
- Next, pour the honey.
- Now, add the olive oil.
- Mix the ingredients all together.
- You now have a homemade oatmeal scrub that can treat the dryness of your skin.
Facial masks to help moisturize dry skin
- 1Soak them overnight and grind with enough milk to make a paste. Use it as a facial mask to re-hydrate the dry skin on the face.Poppy seeds.
- 2Leave it for 15 minutes, then rinse off after.Mix a teaspoon of milk cream and a pinch of turmeric with 5 drops of olive oil to form a paste and apply on face.
Banana and honey facial mask
- 1Mash a couple of banana with a fork.
- 2Drizzle it with a few drops of honey when mashed.
- 3Mix them well and apply on the face evenly.
- 4Massage the mask on the face for 10 minutes and leave to dry.
- 5Rinse the natural mask off with lukewarm water.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine laden beverages if you have dry skin, as they worsen the condition.
- Having a humidifier at home will help improve dry skin a lot.
- Switch to natural soap as those soaps with harsh chemicals only aggravate the condition.
- Drink lots of water and fruit juices to re-hydrate dry skin.
- Eat heaps of fruits and vegetables as they help in making skin glow and hydrated.