Travel while pregnant
Edited by Ephraim, Charmed, Innocent Yogo, Eng
This article will be on how a woman can travel safely during her pregnancy. Pregnant women still feel like traveling and not being cooped up in the house all day and also want to travel but there are certain steps necessary in order to travel safely. A pregnant woman will get uncomfortable when traveling so it is important to take the steps necessary to ensure that she is comfortable during her pregnancy. A trip with a pregnant woman may not always go as planned so there needs to be options on the trip in order to ensure the safety of her during the pregnancy. Also all plans should also be flexible during the trip and subject to change.
- 1Let the doctor know of everything that will be involved in the trip and all the plans to be sure to get the best advice on whether or not the trip is safe for the woman. A lot of doctors will give the pregnant woman a signed form of consent that will prove that she is safe to travel to the destination that was provided in her current condition. If the doctor does not grant you access then it is important that you take the advice given on your choice of travel.Before considering traveling anywhere it is important that the woman consults her doctor or physician in order to be sure that she is safe to travel during her particular part of her pregnancy.
- 2The difference is that when in a plane during low cabin pressure it will have little to no effect on the woman and the baby during this time if she is able to adapt to the drop in pressure but if she is not used to the change then exposing herself to this will cause a problem for her and the baby. Radiation can cause the baby to be more subjected to the risk of cancer whether it is by passing through security, around a large wave of electricity and etc. During some parts of the pregnancy she will be perfectly safe but then at times she will be at a big risk of harming her or the baby during these processes.Ask your doctor about the specific dangers of air pressure that she is not used to when traveling for the drop or rise in air pressure can hurt her and the baby during the pregnancy.
- 3A lot of flights restrict the privilege of flying after 36 weeks of pregnancy, when flying internationally the weeks will sometimes be earlier depending on how long the flight and also the destination of where the pregnant woman will be traveling. If you are willing to go against the airline you will need a signed document from your doctor in order to board the plane successfully. Sometimes the signed document should be brought regardless of going to the airline in order to ensure that you are safe for traveling according to the airline and your doctor.Check the airline that you are expecting to fly on for it will be forbidden for some airlines so checking first will help you in order to not have any surprises when trying to board your flight.
- 4Insurance cards and records are also important when flying to ensure that if anything happens you are fully prepared for whatever the pregnancy throws at you during travel. Also when traveling it is important to use comfortable clothing and all necessary equipments for traveling to ensure that you are comfortable during the travel.Take all health cards and information when traveling just in case there is an emergency when traveling to your destination.
- 5Also while traveling it is important that the woman also drinks enough water to battle her dehydration for it will come a time that she will become dehydrated during the travel. Little snacks along the way can also help the woman fight fatigue and also hunger during travel so it is important to have these things nearby to help her during the travel to become as comfortable and satisfied as possible.Watch what is consumed during the travel I order to ensure that she is eating well in order to balance out her nutrition while moving and burning the energy during the travel plans.
- 6Whether it is a car or an airplane. The chances of survival and continuing to be healthy during any type of crash or complication is increased for the woman and her baby when she is fully buckled into her seat during her travel. When strapping on the seat belt, ensure to strap the belt below the baby when traveling to suffocating the baby by having the seat belt across the stomach of the woman. Also the shoulder strap should fall in between the breast of the woman when traveling. Providing the best level of comfort for her during her travel in any type of vehicle is also important.Buckle up regardless of what you are traveling in.
- 7Long trips can be exhausting if she is driving and even if she is not driving so it is important to take as many breaks as possible during the trip to ensure that she is completely comfortable. During these stops it will be a good idea for the woman to get out of the car and stretch a bit in order to increase blood flow and reduce the chances of too much blood building up in her veins. Blood clots can form in her legs and arms when exposed to long term sitting or any other type of position that will prove to be very uncomfortable. Also during the travel of being in the same stationary position the woman can develop blood clots in her lungs which can be prevented when taking the necessary breaks to stretch during the travel.Take frequent breaks if possible when traveling to help her to relax a little bit during the trip.
- 8Ensure that the air bags work perfectly fine on the vehicle to help protect against an accident, move her seat as far away as possible to give her enough room when traveling. Also the steering wheel needs to be pushed to the most upright position away from belly in order to ensure that the baby is perfectly fine during the pregnancy as long as the woman carrying the baby during the trip.Perform vehicle maintenance before leaving to go to your destination to ensure that the vehicle is perfectly OK when traveling to decrease any type of accident along the way.
- 9By not having a window seat she will be required to move uncomfortably through others in order to get to the designated restroom during travel.Sit in a seat that is near an aisle when traveling on a plane for this will be important just in case she needs to use the bathroom or get up to stretch during the travel.
- 10On the flight you will be exposed to such foods like oatmeal, soda and beans which will cause gas to the woman which in turn can hurt her comfortable factor while on the plane possibly sending her to the bathroom more frequently than normal.Drink safely while on the plane and avoid anything that can cause gas during travel during the flight.
- 11If you have any of these issues then it is important to take preventive measures to ensure that she will be comfortable during her travel. If you are not prone to these types of illnesses before then you may be fine during travel as opposed to when you are always sick. You may become sick more often during travel while you are pregnant.Ensure that you check out whether or not you are prone to motion sickness, dizziness, headaches or weakness.
- 12There are a couple of common viruses that are available to contract when traveling on a boat or cruise ship and also they are contagious and able to be passed on between partners. Some viruses can cause vomiting for up to 1 to 2 days when contracted so it is important that you check with these centers before leaving to go on the trip for these viruses can indeed affect the pregnancy and also the woman who is carrying the child on the trip. Ensure that you check with all of these centers prior to even planning a trip to prevent the trip from failing or being taken because of the money that has already been put into the trip but will not be safe.Research the centers of disease control when traveling by boat for they will be able to help you during your trip to ensure that you are traveling through healthy factors during your trip.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Travel while pregnant. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Travel_while_pregnant
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Travel while pregnant." VisiHow, visihow.com/Travel_while_pregnant Accessed 28 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Travel while pregnant." Accessed Mar 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Travel_while_pregnant.
Categories : Pregnancy
Recent edits by: Innocent Yogo, Charmed, Ephraim