Throw the best New Year's Party Cheaply
Edited by Ryan, Lynn, Maria, Charmed and 3 others
The New Year is celebrated during the first day of January. Based on the Gregorian and Julian calendars used in the Roman Empire, January 1st is the start of the year. New Year's Day is one of the most celebrated public holidays welcomed with fireworks at exactly midnight.
Celebrating New Years is something that everybody looks forward to. Saying "Hello" to the first day of the year must be memorable, however, ensuring that you do not go over budget is a priority. Throwing a party is never easy, especially if you have limited resources. This article will show you how to throw a great New Year's party without breaking the bank. Some suggestions include a pasta recipe that guests will love, especially if you have kids around. There are several things to consider in throwing a New Year's party, interested in throwing the shindig of the year without the extra zeroes in that price tag? Keep reading.
- 1 Steps: Choosing the Theme and Planning the Party
- 1.1 Create a Theme
- 1.2 Be Resourceful
- 1.3 Food Preparation
- 1.4 Pot Luck
- 1.5 Party Games
- 1.6 Create a Do-it-yourself Photo Booth
- 1.7 Dance Party
- 1.8 Make a Kids' Area
- 1.9 Party Favors
- 1.10 Party Dress Code
- 1.11 Paperless Invitation
- 2 Tips, Tricks and Warnings
- 3 Referencing this Article
- 4 Comments
Steps: Choosing the Theme and Planning the Party
Create a Theme
A budget-friendly New Year's Eve party.
Must have a theme, not only to make it more inviting, but also for the host to have a coordinating flow for the entire event. An organized party is a budget-friendly party because you can check whatever available resources you have at home and start from there.
You really don't need to buy everything at Walmart or one-stop party shops.
You can find many things you need by looking around your house like the garage or storage units to find the stuff you can use. These can be items you can make alterations to so it fits into the theme that you choose.
- 1The color will definitely add light and a jolly atmosphere for your party.The wine glasses you have at home can be decorated with colourful button gems.Advertisement
- 2Buy a set of balloons that you can use for balloon drops.Advertisement
- 3Make the clocks a center piece for the tables. Set the clocks for the different time zones and label which place it is, so you can monitor the exact time the different places throughout the world are celebrating New Year's. It will also add glamour to your theme.If you have an alarm clock at home, place one on each table.
- 4Divide the flowers and place them in a vase to use them as a center piece, together with your alarm clock.Buy a bouquet of flowers.
- 5Set aside all the furniture that you won't need for the party, so you can have room to create a dance floor.Make sure that you have ample space for dancing.
Pasta is not necessarily needed for this type of party.
But if you are planning to throw a family-oriented party, which is great for neighbourhood parties, then you need food that is not only suitable for adults, but also for children. Therefore you should try to cook pasta. Here is a simple recipe for saucy spaghetti that everybody will be raving about for the rest of the year. You can easily make plenty of servings without spending too much.
Simple Spaghetti Recipe
- The main thing you need is pasta, cook as the package instructs.
- You also need hot dogs, cut into thin slices
- One can of corned beef
- All-purpose cream
- Spaghetti sauce
- Ground beef
- 1 Whole Garlic, minced
- 1 White Onion, chopped
- 1The first step is to sauté the garlic and onion.
- 2When the garlic is golden, add the ground beef.
- 3Let it cook for about 15 minutes then add corned beef and hotdog.
- 4Once cooked, add the ready-made spaghetti sauce and the all-purpose cream.
- 5Let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 6Add a dash of pepper and a teaspoon of sugar for a hint of sweetness.
- 7Garnish with cheese and serve.
Make sure that you also prepare drinks for the kids. For the adults, some inexpensive champagne can easily be bought and presented well for a glamorous look.
Perfect Bread and Cheese Combo
The night's appetizer can be the perfect combo of bread and cheese.
- 1Buy three kinds of cheese like goat's milk cheese, blue cheese and triple cream cheese.
- 2Serve these with tasty French bread, remember not to cut the bread slice it into small pieces.
- 3Simply slice off two pieces and leave the bread knife.
- 4A sausage station can be added.
- 5Buy different kinds of sausages, grill, slice and serve with different mustard options.
For the dessert, you may use a chocolate fountain. It is easy to prepare but it will add glamour to your party. Use different kinds of pretzels and biscuits; also add a variety of fruits, sliced into small pieces. Your guests will truly have fun with your dessert station.
If you really want a New Year's party but are on a budget.
Request your guests to bring some kind of food or drink. You have two options:
- 1Assign something for each of the guests
- 2Second option is to let them bring anything they like.
- 3This might result into the same food or drink but then everyone has a different version and it is spontaneous.
Who said to skip the party games on New Year's Eve?
All you need is to be creative when it comes to the games you choose. There are a lot of downloadable games on the internet that will help create a fun ambiance for the night.
- 1Play this by dividing the guests into two groups.Charades is one of the most popular games.
- Let each group write the things that they want the other group to guess on small pieces of paper.
- Place all the pieces of paper in a New Year's hat. The first team who plays is not allowed to talk at all, only the guesser can talk.
- There must be a time limit, so even if the guesser was able to say the correct answer, it will be invalid if time runs out.
- Whoever guesses the most will win.
- 2There must again be two teams. All you need is an Oreo or a Chips Ahoy cookie.Cookie on My Forehead is another popular party game.
- Those playing needs to place the cookie on their forehead and try to maneuver the cookie to their mouth.
- If the cookie falls, they must start over or they will be out of the game.
- The team who eats more cookies wins.
- A fun element of this game is the photos of your guests having fun while trying to eat the cookie. This will be a memorable party for everyone.
Create a Do-it-yourself Photo Booth
You can create your own photo booth.
By simply making a life-size frame then bringing out all the hats that you have at home or any kind of head dress. It will definitely add excitement and contribute to the fun ambiance of your party.
Mellow music while everybody is eating is surely a good choice.
But to ensure your guests get down to the beat, ask your guests three different upbeat songs that they like to dance to. Once the music is played they will be the first ones to start dancing, with or without a partner. This will surely get everybody involved in dancing.
Make a Kids' Area
Be sure to have a separate space for the kids.
- 1Set a table for them and provide them with something to do like colouring pens, paper, pencils and colouring books.
- 2If you have a gaming station, set your video games in the most comfortable place in your home for the kids to play.
- 3This way, children will enjoy your party while you leave their parents with peace of mind knowing that their children are safe and enjoying the party as much as they are.
Your party favors need not be very extravagant.
Remember that you are creating a budget-friendly party. If you still have some leftover candies and chocolates from Christmas or Halloween, use them as party favors. Put them inside stockings and label them with the names of your guests. Don't forget to add glamour to your favors.
- Use small party balls to add inside the stockings.
- If you know how to bake, bake some cookies and put them in a small cookie jar. Use a very nice ribbon for your jar and label it with your guests' names.
- For the kids, a simple noise maker will definitely put smiles on their faces.
Party Dress Code
You don't need to buy a new dress.
Just find a way to mix and match pieces you already have with other accessories and items so you can create another ensemble that is suitable for your party.
- 1Your guests must not feel the need to spend a lot of time on what they are wearing for your party either.
- 2You need to inform them that casual attire will definitely suit your party.
- 3Jeans and a shirt or a simple dress is acceptable and will definitely make them more comfortable to move.Advertisement
These days invitation cards are considered extravagant.
So how can one invite people for a party? All you need to do is to secure a good internet connection, use your Laptop or desktop computer, log in to your Facebook account, and create an event, then invite all the people that you want to invite. A few days before your event, you may need to call them on the phone to verify if they will come or not.
Tips, Tricks and Warnings
- Plan ahead of time. Remember that if you are organized on how you want the party to be, you can minimize the chance of spending more money for the party. You will have time to look for the stuff you need that you may already have at home. All the things that need alteration can be done ahead of time. And you can get the rest from the store.
- Create a menu list and shopping list. In order for you stay within the range of your budget, you need to prepare your list. There are a lot of discounts during this season so wait for the clearance sale to buy stuff for the party.
- Make it a potluck. You don't need to shoulder everything. Besides it's your friends and family who will attend your party. Be honest with them and tell them that it would be better if all of you will bring something for the party.
- Stick to your budget. No matter how badly you would like to make your party unforgettable, you should be strict with yourself when it comes to money.
- If you already set a part of your budget for the food or party decors, do not go beyond the allotted amount.
- You are trying to spend wisely for your party, and going beyond your limit is not an answer to bring out the best for the event.
- After the party, try to keep all the things that you can still use or recycle for your next party. It is better to keep it that way so you will be consistent in your budget plan.
- Be sure to keep all harmful chemicals stored in a safe place where no kids can see or reach it. If everybody is busy at the party, it is a little hard to monitor children even if you will lay all the toys that they need. To keep a safe environment for the kids, never place any harmful materials within their reach.
- Don't buy any fireworks, especially if you have kids around. It is definitely not safe for them. Noisemakers are a much better and safer alternative.
- Don't forget to enjoy your party. Be yourself and have fun.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Throw the best New Year's Party Cheaply. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 22, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Throw_the_best_New_Year%27s_Party_Cheaply
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Throw the best New Year's Party Cheaply." VisiHow, visihow.com/Throw_the_best_New_Year%27s_Party_Cheaply Accessed 22 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Throw the best New Year's Party Cheaply." Accessed May 22, 2017. http://visihow.com/Throw_the_best_New_Year%27s_Party_Cheaply.
Categories : Holidays & Traditions
Recent edits by: Nerissa Avisado, Jonathan, Charmed