Take Stunningly Gorgeous Selfies
Edited by Yuliya, Dougie, Eng, Nuance
When cell-phones first became widespread, people quickly discovered their true purpose. It's not to call people, but to take pictures of everything! There are websites and blogs dedicated to everything from snaps of your coffee and breakfast, to professional looking prints, all done with a tiny camera somewhere in your phone.
The Selfie Craze
The front-facing camera that now comes with practically every phone has prompted the surge in popularity of a new type of photography: The Selfie. There's a certain art to being able to take a decent picture of yourself by holding your phone at arm's length. Some people take amazing Selfies, which make yours pale in comparison. How do they do it?
Great Selfies can be created by using a couple of basic photography rules and tricks. By learning these tricks, you too can take stunningly gorgeous Selfies.
Let's begin by learning what NOT to do.
Things to Avoid When Taking Selfies
- 3Lenses are curved, and things get distorted when they are too close. Pictures taken too close to your face will give you a huge nose.DO NOT take pictures too close.
- 6Unless you're aiming for a silly picture. In which case go wild!DO NOT make silly faces.
How to Take Flattering Selfies
Now that you know what to avoid, lets' talk about what you SHOULD do.
- 1Composition can make or break a picture. Take a moment to correctly compose your picture before snapping a shot. Use the rule of thirds:Use the rule of thirds.Advertisement
- 2The light should not be too harsh. Ideally, it should come from the left or the right of the subject, and not straight on from the front.Use natural lighting.
- 3Only slightly! (Remember the large forehead a high angle creates).Take pictures from slightly above.
- 4Once you compose your picture, shift your eyes to look directly at the camera, not the screen. Looking at the screen makes your eyes look slightly down. Gazing directly into the camera can have powerful results.Look at the camera.
- 5But just a little - real smiles extend to the eyes, and large smiles for the camera can look very fake and plastic. Instead, lift the sides of your mouth just a little. Just imagine someone telling a bad joke - but don't crinkle your forehead.Smile a little.
- 6Use slight filters. You don't have to, but a slight filter applied to a photo can give it an interesting finishing touch. Warming filters work best for portraits, since they bring out the warmth of a person's skin. Unless you're going for a vintage look, don't overdo it.Optional:Advertisement
Now go stun people with your beautiful selfies!
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Take Stunningly Gorgeous Selfies. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Take_Stunningly_Gorgeous_Selfies
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Take Stunningly Gorgeous Selfies." VisiHow, visihow.com/Take_Stunningly_Gorgeous_Selfies Accessed 26 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Take Stunningly Gorgeous Selfies." Accessed Jun 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Take_Stunningly_Gorgeous_Selfies.
Categories : Visual Arts
Recent edits by: Eng, Dougie, Yuliya