Super Simple Flatbread
Edited by Rich, Charmed, Eng
This article will teach you how to make a simple and basic flatbread.
This simple flatbread is easy to make and goes with a large variety of foods. It can be customized to meet different tastes and meals easily. I use it for everything from wrapping eggs to dipping in hummus.
Tools & Ingredients
- Measuring cups
- Spatula or fork
- Optional: Rolling pin
- Optional: Knife
- Stove or grill
- Frying or baking pan
- 1 Cup of Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 1Clean your work area.The shaping phase of rolling flour will pick up any dirt in the work area. Give the counter a simple wipe down before starting.Advertisement
- 2Place ingredients in bowl.Pour the flour, water, oil, and salt into the mixing bowl.Advertisement
- 4Remove ball.Guide the ball onto a floured counter or rolling board.
- 5Sprinkle hands and work area with flour.Trying to roll the dough without scattering flour first will result in a giant mess. Sprinkle flour on the dough ball, counter or rolling board, and rolling pin if you plan on using one.
- 6Shape the dough.Round the dough with your hands and periodically fold the dough on itself. This will make the dough ball form a sturdy gluten which can be stretched. Continue shaping the dough until is it no longer sticky and is a little bit stretchy.
- 7Tear or cut.Tear or cut the dough into smaller rounds. 2 Cups of flour should make 4 thin flatbreads.
- 8Flatten.The following instructions branch depending on if you wish to use your hands or a rolling pin.
- 9Flatten with hands.Push the heels of your hands into the ball of dough from top to bottom. Turn the dough and repeat the gesture. Use your thumbs to flatten any stubborn pockets of dough.
- 11Bake or saute:You can use the stove top or the oven to bake this bread. The oven will take slightly longer but can make more flatbread simultaneously. The stove top is fast but risks burning if not watched.
- 12In the Oven.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lay the flatbread on greased cookie pans and bake for around 10 minutes. The time may vary based on location so check the bread frequently. Flip halfway through.
- 14Remove from heat.Remove the flatbread straight to a plate if you are cooking them on the stove top. If you cooked them in the oven then remove the sheets and let the bread cool down a few minutes.
- 15Serve.Serve the bread with anything. Roll the bread around peanut butter or dip. Cut the bread into wedges and server with guacamole. Varieties are only limited by your cupboard.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Customize it! You can change this recipe in a number of ways.
- Replace the oil with Yogurt for fluffier bread.
- Spice things up! This recipe is not set in stone. Use any type of oil or spices to make it exciting.
- Do not burn! If you burn the bread the kitchen will smell terrible.
- Make it stretchier! Use more oil to make the bread more flexible. I prefer coconut oil but any oil works.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Cooking
Recent edits by: Charmed, Rich