Style a Simple Outfit with a Scarf
Edited by Jan Margery Castillo, Graeme, Trafalgar Law, Lynn and 8 others
- 1 Spice up your Look
- 2 Steps
- 3 Video: Style a Simple Outfit with a Scarf Spice up your Look
- 4 Style a Simple Outfit with a Scarf
- 5 Scarf glossary
- 6 Choose the Right Scarf
- 7 Different ways to wear a scarf
- 8 Where to Shop Scarf
- 9 Spice up Your Look More
- 10 Steps
- 11 Video: Style a Simple Outfit with a Scarf Spice up Your Look More
- 12 Questions and Answers
- 12.1 Circular scarf that goes around waist and shoulders?
- 12.2 What is the best way to tie scarf for v-shaped face?
- 12.3 How to know which print patterns in scarves suit you best?
- 12.4 How to wear a long thin chiffon scarf around your neck?
- 12.5 If I am wearing a patterned T with a lightweight denim shirt over it, what type of scarf?
- 13 Referencing this Article
- 14 Comments
Spice up your Look
Hello, welcome to VisiHow. My name is Jessica. Today I am going to show you guys how to wear scarves different ways to spice up your outfits.
Video: Style a Simple Outfit with a Scarf Spice up your Look
Style a Simple Outfit with a Scarf
Plain white shirt. Check! Skinny jeans and vintage brown belt. Check! Statement bag. Check! This is the typical street-smart outfit that never fails to make you look fresh and classy. How about adding a little spice to that usual get-up? This article will help you get out of your comfort-zone and be ultra stylish and chic with just a scarf.
A scarf is a versatile garment that is worn on the neck, head, shoulders or waist. Apart from fashion, it also sometimes serves practical, cultural and religious purposes. But even if you only bought a particular scarf because you think it's cute, you'll see along the way that this single piece can be very handy, and you may even begin to think it's all you need to survive. A scarf can keep you warm on a cold weather or protect your hair or face against dust and heat. A single scarf can be your sole accessory and make that simple tee look fab and dandy.
It's essential to have at least one scarf in your closet. However, the style, warmth, elegance and coziness the different varieties can bring are enough reasons to buy more and have a collection. A scarf can be worn all year round but it's important to know what type of design, size and fabric to choose for a particular season. Essentially, you also need to learn the craft on how to creatively tie scarves to enhance your get-up.
Variety of Shapes and Sizes
The three types of scarves, according to shape are square, rectangle and triangle. The square shape can be large or small in size, the rectangular shape can also be thin or wide and it may have a "wing-tip". Other styles are the infinity or snood, which is a circle loop scarf, and the collar scarf.
Pattern and Colors
Scarf patterns vary and may include stripes, weave, paisley, checkered, animal print, batik and tie dye. Your guide to buying the right shade can be themed, depending on the current season. Blue and dark green tones or black and white monochrome are excellent for autumn, for example. When choosing the right color, make sure that it complements your skin tone, body size and face shape.
You may think there are almost a million scarf basic terms, designs, fabrics and rules, but in truth, learning how to wear different scarves is pretty elementary. Here are few things you need to know first.
- 1For practical purposes, use a head scarf made from light materials for the warmer season and chunky knit fabric during the cold season.Head scarf.
- 2It is known for its versatility. It can be worn during any season of the year for a practical or decorative function. It can also be draped on the head for protection, or as a headband.Neck scarf.
- 3This is a triangular shaped scarf used as a headpiece or neck scarf. A square-shaped scarf can also be folded diagonally to create a bandana. It's made of lightweight materials such as cotton or silk. It may also be used as a ponytail accessory.Bandana.
- 4It is a thin scarf around three to five inches in width. This is perfect for warm weather, like in summer or spring. The fabrics used for this type of scarf are lightweight jersey, lace, silk or cotton.Skinny scarf.
- 5A shawl can be triangular or wide rectangle shape and made from varied textures. This are used as jacket or coat replacement on cold days.Shawl.
- 6A circle loop and is perfect for layering.Infinity.
- 7This can be rectangular or triangular in shape and is used for belly dancing. It can be embellished with beads, sequins, or coins and other sparkly materials.Hip scarf.
Types of Fabric
- 1This is a very rich fabric made from cashmere goat wool. It is so soft and light, but it's durable. This is suitable during the winter season.Cashmere.
- 2Many ladies love silk because it's versatile. Made from a silkworm's wool, it can either be matte or glossy. It's a classy summer essential piece.Silk.
- 3This is another fabric made from breathable material. This is also perfect for warm weather.Cotton.
- 4Satin is made from polyester. It is shiny and a bit thick, but still worn best during summer.Satin.
- 5Like cotton, this material is also breathable and light. It's a sheer woven fabric that is stretchable, but the texture is a bit rough.Chiffon.
- 6This is another sought-after type of fabric because it is soft and warm, which is great for chilly nights. This is made from pashmina goat wool.Pashmina.
- 7This is a fabric that is rich in color and texture. It can be printed or pleated.Velvet.
- 8A wool scarf is effective to keep the body warm during winter. It's made from natural fiber from animals like sheep.Wool.
- 9This fabric has the most breath-ability. It's cool to the skin which makes it ideal for warm weather.Linen.
- 10The intricate design of a hand-made lace makes this fabric stand out. It makes every outfit chic and feminine.Lace.
- 11This type of fabric is knitted and cool to the skin too. It's made from cotton, wool and other synthetic fibers. This is versatile as you can use this during winter or summer.Jersey.
- 12Most of the time, this fabric is used as a substitute for a wool or cashmere. This is purely synthetic and does not provide much warm compared to fabrics from natural fibers or wool.Acrylic.
Choose the Right Scarf
Before you start styling up with scarves, make sure you know how to choose the right type or design for that will complement a particular outfit. The main focus of this post is to accessorize a simple shirt or long sleeves using a scarf. But it is not limited to the general rules of wearing scarves when it comes to other layering other garments. Here are some guidelines in choosing the right scarf for a particular get-up.
- 1If it's summer, choose brightly colored scarves with floral prints or anything that's cool to the eyes. Make sure too wear something lightweight and breathable because you don't want to sweat just for the sake of fashion. If it's winter, wear bulkier scarves and made from chunkier fabrics.Choose an appropriate fabric and color for the current season.
- 2Classic patterns and dark hues are fitted to guys for a masculine look. If you want to be more fashionable, go for fringed scarves, embroidered, striped, batik, plaid or even animal prints.Dark colors are more suitable for men.
- 3A single scarf can be used in many versatile ways, but you can't wear one scarf with all of your dresses. It is a good investment to collect many different scarves so that you have the right scarf for every occasion.Have at least two scarves.
- 4When wearing a black and white monochrome scarf, make sure you are not wearing a plaid shirt or jacket. A patterned scarf should be paired with plain top or anything that is not contrasting.Stick to one pattern at a time.
- 5If the focal point of your outfit is your nifty knitted bulky scarf, then you should not wear other eye-catching accessories or jewelry such as huge chandelier earrings or statement necklaces.Wear minimal accessories when wearing bulky scarves.
- 6Choose colors that favor your skin color.A print scarf should go with a solid colored ensemble, a solid scarf should go with a printed outfit.
- 7It is going to make you look frumpy. Wear a thinner wool scarf instead when wearing something bulky.A bulky wool scarf never goes well with a bulky sweater.
- 8It's alright to wear more than one scarf at the same time, as long as they vary in size and texture.Scarves always goes well with jackets and coats during winter.
- 9It adds a fresh touch.A fringed scarf looks good with a summer get-up.
- 10Pair the whole fit with a glamorous sequined or glittering purse.For evening wear, choose a scarf that has embellishments.
- 11Leopard printed scarves are good for black, brown, yellow, white and red tops. A bandana scarf never fails to add edge to your outfit. And a British scarf, one that has a tartan pattern, works best with corporate attire such as long coat or trench coats.The three must-have trendy designs are a leopard scarf, bandana scarf, and a British scarf.
Different ways to wear a scarf
There are myriad ways to creatively tie a scarf in order to boost a simple outfit. Three basic steps are to drape, loop and adjust. The following are simple tricks on how to wear a scarf.
- 1This is the simplest way to wear a scarf. Just drape the scarf around your neck. Let both ends loose in front of your simple tank top and you're good to go.Classic drape.
- 2Drape the scarf around your neck making one end longer. Then wrap the longer piece around your neck and adjust. It's up to you if you want it to be near your throat or a bit lower. This is also called the choker wrap.Simple wrap.
- 3This is like a simple wrap, the only difference is that both ends are tied in a loose knot.Wrap and tie.
- 4Fold the rectangular scarf holding both ends in one hand and the looped fold in the other. Put it around the neck and thread the ends through the loop. This is an easy step but it gives you that posh look.European loop.
- 5Follow the first step to creating the European loop, but twist the loop before you insert the tails through it.European twist.
- 6Wrap the scarf around the neck twice. Then pick up a tip of any of the tail and tuck it in the loop while letting the rest of the tail drape loosely in front of your tee.Waterfall.
- 7Drape a lightweight rectangular scarf around your neck making one end a bit longer than the other. Using the longer end, loosely tie a knot and insert the other tail through it. Adjust.Fake knot.
- 8This is suitable if you want to accessorize more. Just toss the scarf over your shoulders and wear a statement necklace or earrings. Make sure that the texture of your scarf is different from the texture of your top.Scarf vest.
- 9This goes well with a shirt or long sleeves with a wide or deep cut neckline. Choose a striped scarf with longer length. Just wrap the scarf around your neck two or three times then tie the remaining material in front.Double loop.
- 10This is a unique knot and it gives an instant edge to your simple wardrobe. To do this, you need place the scarf behind your neck first and twist it. Loop it around your neck and continue twisting until it curls up. Then loop it around your neck a second time and tie it in front of you. Continue tying until you reach your desired look.Wine and dine.
- 11This type of knot creates an ultra-sophisticated look, especially when you are wearing a plain top over a pencil skirt. Drape the scarf around your neck and tie the ends in a single knot close to the center of your chest. Starting with the first end, wrap it around the scarf loop until you reach the end of material, and then tuck it in. Do the same thing with the other end. You should be able to achieve a boa-like result.Scarf boa.
- 12Drape the scarf around your neck, letting both ends hang in front. Make a tight knot on one side and make a loose knot on the other side. Then, slip the tight knot into the loose knot to create a bigger-looking knot.Windsor necktie.
- 1Use a large scarf and toss it over your shoulder for a classic bohemian look. Choose a scarf with fringe or a cute pattern to make it stand out.Classic shawl.
- 2Fold the scarf diagonally and place the V shape in front of you. Pull both ends from the back and place them in front just beside the V shape drape. Adjust as needed.Basic loop.
- 3Lay the scarf on platform and fold it diagonally. Fold the center edge up every few inches to the widest part until you form a thin shape. Create a basic loop around your neck and tie the ends in front of your neck. Let the knot be exposed, or you may tuck it underneath the loop so that only the ends are seen.Loop and knot.
- 4Fold the scarf into two to make a rectangle shape. Then drape it around your neck and make a loose knot in front. Adjust the knot over your right shoulder and just let the other end drape on your back.Rectangle knot.
- 5Fold the same piece diagonally and drape it around your neck. Tie it in front to form a bow and adjust. This style creates a chic vintage look.Bowtie.
- 6A large square scarf can do this trick. Fold it diagonally and wrap it around your neck, making one end longer than the other. Then wrap the longer end around your neck again two or three more times, just as long as little material is left. Tuck both ends into the loop and adjust when needed.Ultra-cozy loop style.
- 7Again, you will need a large square silk scarf to do this. First, fold the scarf to form a V shape in front of you. Pull both ends across your nape and tie the underneath the V shape. Adjust and make sure the tie isn't seen.Cowboy style.
- 8Fold the scarf to from a straight fold. Drape it around your neck equally. Then, loop one end under the other and let it drape in front. Both ends should be flat.Ascot knot.
- 1Wrap the scarf around your neck and tie the ends. You may place the knot at the center or at the upper left or right close to your collarbone.Scarf necklace.
- 2A long skinny scarf can be worn as a bracelet. Just wrap it around your wrist to create two or three bands and tuck the ends under the sides of the loop.Bracelet.
- 1This trick is an instant outfit boost. Wear an infinity scarf around your waist. Twist the scarf in the front to create a figure 8 and just loop it around your neck.Figure 8.
- 2Loop an infinity scarf around your neck twice, but adjust one loop and make it longer than the other. Then, tie the longer loop at the bottom, but make sure you leave a small loop at the bottom.Skinny infinity.
- 3This is another pretty simple way to style an infinity scarf. Just place the infinity scarf on your back and slip both of your arms inside the loop as if wearing a backpack. Then adjust.Hug shrug.
Where to Shop Scarf
Almost every brand on the market has its own line of scarves. Some of the famous brands of versatile silk scarves are Hermes, Alexander McQueen, Urban Outfitters, Gap, Mango, Forever 21, Ralph Lauren, Abercrombie & Fitch, Echo, Old Navy, Giordano, and many more. However, aside from running to these stores, there are other several ways to acquire fab scarves. Here are a few tips:
- Online stores. If you are not particular with any brand and you like to buy things that are far from mainstream, you can search for online stores like eBay, Bottica, Dawanda and Pieces.com.
- Countries like France and Italy are the top producers of the world's finest scarves. So if you happen to tour around those places, you might want to buy yourself a good investment scarf accessory.
- Japan is famous for their printed scarves. They produce fine prints and patterns.
A scarf can also make or break an outfit. It's important to follow the rules of how to wear them and to know which color suits you best. Having a scarf collection is like getting another cabinet full of cute outfits because there are hundreds of ways you can mix and match pieces. So next time you put a simple t-shirt on, you will already know how to spice it up with a scarf.
Spice up Your Look More
.Welcome to VisiHow. My name is Jessica and today I'm going to show you part 2 of different ways to spice up your scarves with your outfits.
- 22If you have any questions or comments please leave them below in the comment section.Thank you for watching VisiHow.Advertisement
Video: Style a Simple Outfit with a Scarf Spice up Your Look More
Questions and Answers
Circular scarf that goes around waist and shoulders?
This style of wearing the scarf is called the Vest. Here's how you do it:
- Place your infinity scarf around your waist.
- Get the loop inside over your head.
- Do not leave it hanging on your neck. Let it loose and down to your waist.
- Make sure that the inner back part of your scarf hangs flatly on your body. Continue holding it in place because your scarf will not hang off on its own on your hips.
- Cross the scarf at your waist, creating a number eight figure on your body front.
- Cross the scarf's loops, one side over the other.
- The area where the loops meet or cross should be over your breast.
- By now, you should have created a loop near the neck. The loops should be big enough so your head can go through.
- Slip the loop around the head and pull it up over the head making sure that the inner back part of the loop is snug against your nape.
Are you referring to an item called an infinity scarf? It is an item that doubles as a scarf or a belt depending on your preference. You can find them here http://www.forever21.com/Product/Category.aspx?br=f21&category=acc_scarf-gloves
What is the best way to tie scarf for v-shaped face?
Depending on the type of scarf you are using, the scarf can be tied and styled in different ways as shown below:
A v-shaped face suits almost all types of ways to tie a scarf. However, the best way is to just depend on the regular loop style in which you fold the scrap into two and then make a loop at the other end and then insert the other end there. It's simple and it creates an accent to the face. It's also not that bulky at the neck area, so it functions just like a collar, which is OK.
How to know which print patterns in scarves suit you best?
All scarf pattern can look good on you; just make sure you pair them with the right clothes. For example, if you intend to wear printed clothes, do not go for a printed scarf. Also, choose a scarf that will blend well with or complement what you are wearing. If you are wearing a bright-colored dress, go for a scarf with a lighter tone.
There is not specific formula for finding a correct pattern to suit you. Your best bet is to find something to compliment your outfit. Something with a similar color scheme or maybe even the same pattern.
How to wear a long thin chiffon scarf around your neck?
Here are some ways to wear a long and thin chiffon scarf around your neck:
- You may just hang the long and thin chiffon scarf around your neck. Arrange it and pull the sides of it to show how pretty is your scarf.
- Fold the chiffon scarf in half, wrap it around your neck and insert the ends into the loop on the other side.
- Twist the scarf really tightly, just twist and twist, then bring the opposite ends together. Then it will twist together as one and then wrap it around your neck and insert the ends into the loop.
- Put the scarf around your neck, get the one side of the scarf and make a knot. After making a knot, get the other side of the scarf and insert it into the hole of the knot.
- In front, put the scarf around your neck, then take the ends of your scarf to the front.
You can tie it like a ribbon. Roll it around your neck and hold both ends in front of you. Tie it in the middle, though not too tight, and then create a ribbon out of it. To make it look more elegant, you may want to slide it to the side of your neck. That will look really great especially if you are using a rounded neckline.
You can also just drop the scrap in front of you. Fold it in the middle and then just hang it to your neck and let if fall on both sides.
If I am wearing a patterned T with a lightweight denim shirt over it, what type of scarf?
Patterned T with scarf? I am wearing a pink patterned T with a lightweight denim shirt over it, what type of scarf would be best?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Style a Simple Outfit with a Scarf. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 22, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Style_a_Simple_Outfit_with_a_Scarf
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Style a Simple Outfit with a Scarf." VisiHow, visihow.com/Style_a_Simple_Outfit_with_a_Scarf Accessed 22 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Style a Simple Outfit with a Scarf." Accessed Jun 22, 2017. http://visihow.com/Style_a_Simple_Outfit_with_a_Scarf.
Categories : Beauty & Aesthetics
Recent edits by: Crystal, Jen M, Eng