Straighten your hair with a flat iron without damaging your hair
Edited by Jerry Rivers, Charmed, Maria, Eng and 3 others
Hi, my name is Kara, and you are watching VisiHow. In today's video tutorial, I will show you how to straighten your hair using a flat iron. I am using an ILITEK iron, which allows me to set the temperature. I don't want to damage my hair, so I will use the middle temperature, which is 200 degrees Celsius. I could also choose 180 or 220, but I am afraid that 180 may be too low and 220 might be high enough to cause damage. That is why I am using the middle temperature setting. It heats up fast, I just turned it on and it is already hot.
- 1 Steps
- 2 Video: Straighten your hair with a flat iron without damaging your hair
- 3 Steps to take
- 4 Here is the recommended procedure with hair protectant spray:
- 5 Questions and Answers
- 6 Referencing this Article
- 7 Comments
- 2I do not want to pick too much, because it might not achieve the effect that I want. My hair is already straight, but the flat iron will make it perfectly straight. Even if you do have flat hair is still can be wavy or have flyaways here and there.I have a small section at the bottom left over, and what I am going to do is pick small sections from it.Advertisement
- 4Straight hair is one of the easiest and fastest styles that you can do; it does not require any special skill, which I do not have. I am horrible with my hair. Therefore, this is one of the easiest, and my favorite, ways to keep your hair looking nice.Now I am going to straighten the right side section.
- 5There is no need to be super careful with it. Just do not grab too large of a section at one time. You may need to repeat the same strand many times to make sure that it is completely straightened. If you can tell the difference, this side of my hair is straight and this side is still somewhat wavy.For the rest of my hair, I am going to gradually grab different sections and flat iron them.
- 8Even though my hair is not naturally curly, but when I move my head, I can tell that it is straighter and this was the effect we were looking for. Thanks for watching VisiHow my name is Kara, and if you have any more questions, or if you would like any more tips on beauty and makeup, or how to do hairstyles, please, leave a message in the field below. Thank you bye-bye.I can see a big difference.
Video: Straighten your hair with a flat iron without damaging your hair
Today there is so much emphasis on having a beautiful appearance, and with the current trend of possessing shiny, stylish straight hair, many women are straightening their locks with a flat iron. Although a flat iron is rather costly, the cost is much less than going to the beauty salon regularly for the same purpose. It does require some skill to properly straighten your hair with a flat iron, since there is a risk that you can be burned or damage your hair. Nobody wants the "frizzies". So, here are a few steps you can take to ensure you are using a flat iron properly, and the procedure that works best without damaging your hair.
Steps to take
- 1Both types have a one-year or two-year warranty, but a quality flat iron will last a decade or more. The titanium is usually about a third more in price than the comparable ceramic. Buy a flat iron that is for all textures and lengths of hair so that it will accommodate your hair style changes for the next ten years. Be sure it has variable temperature control, and ideally with an auto-shut off.Invest in a quality flat iron Purchase a flat iron with either titanium or ceramic plates.Advertisement
- 2If you use hair protection oil, you only need to apply and rub a drop onto your hands. Then, rake your fingers along each section of hair from the bottom, but stop when you are about two inches from your scalp. Once all is applied to your hair, you are ready to safely use the flat iron.Use heat protectant Have some type of heat protection for your hair, such as heat protector oil or Leave-on hair conditioner.
- 3You will have to keep the temp below 300° if your hair is damaged. For coarse, thick, or curly hair you may have to use a higher setting between 375° and 400°F. If you have never used a flat iron before, try the lowest setting possible within these ranges. Be careful that you only contact your hair with the hot flat iron plates.Use the right temperature setting If your hair is healthy and fine-textured, you are safe to use your flat iron at a range from 300°to about 375°F.
If you use a hair protectant spray This procedure is different than for the oil method, and requires repeated steps. This procedure takes about an hour, but it is worth the investment. Your hair will become safely straight and luxurious.
Here is the recommended procedure with hair protectant spray:
- 1Then clamp and glide the plates down the section of hair at a medium speed.Spray a small section of hair till it is thoroughly wet.
- 2Next, clamp and glide slowly a second time.
- 3Repeat this moderate then slow steps procedure two more times for each section.
- 4Make a seventh glide, but hold your flat iron at the tip of each hair section for 30 seconds.
- 5Apply one more drop on the hair ends.Apply a drop of hair sealant serum after the seventh stroke of each section.
- 6Finally, run a comb (not your fingers or hairbrush) through each section as it is completed.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
How to use a flat iron without damaging your hair?
You can do this by making sure the heat settings of your flat iron is not very high. Also, it may help to put a thin layer of cloth in between your hair and iron to put some level of protection. You can also put a moisturizing cream prior to ironing as this will help in keeping your hair moist in-spite of the heat that you will apply.
How do I play the video on this page?
Laptop doesn't let me play the video? what should I do?
Please update your Flash Player, and you should be able to view the video.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Straighten your hair with a flat iron without damaging your hair. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 23, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Straighten_your_hair_with_a_flat_iron_without_damaging_your_hair
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Straighten your hair with a flat iron without damaging your hair." VisiHow, visihow.com/Straighten_your_hair_with_a_flat_iron_without_damaging_your_hair Accessed 23 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Straighten your hair with a flat iron without damaging your hair." Accessed Jun 23, 2017. http://visihow.com/Straighten_your_hair_with_a_flat_iron_without_damaging_your_hair.
Categories : Beauty & Aesthetics
Recent edits by: vc, Doug Collins, Eng