Stop and Reverse Hair Loss Naturally Using Chinese Herbs He Shou Wu vs Dong Quai vs Gotu Kola ... and 2 more
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
In China, there are five unique herbal remedies that have been used for thousands of years to stop hair loss and encourage hair growth.
Method 1: He Shou Wu
He Shou Wu is a nutritious scalp clarifying herb that is also sometimes called Fo-Ti or Polygonum Multiflorum. You can buy this renowned hair growth remedy as a tea or as a powder in capsule. This herb, which has been used for thousands of years in China as a hair loss remedy, has been found to have hair regrowth effects that are similar to Minoxidol.
You take just one of the steps below to use the herb or you can use all four at once. To use He Shou Wu to restore and regrow hair:
- 1Make a brew from the dried herbs of He Shou Wu.Obtain the dried leaves from a Chinese apothecary. Bring two heaping handfuls of the leaves to a rolling boil and then turn down the stove and let the liquid simmer for twenty minutes. Let cool and strain mixture into bottles for storage. You can drink this mixture night and day like an elixir. You can also consume it hot as a tea and dilute it with warm water to taste. The mixture is generally good to consume for about four days, after which you should discard any leftover brew and make a new batch.Advertisement
- 2Use the He Shou Wu brew as a hair rinse three times a week.Simply pour the He Shou Wu brew over clean, dry hair and massage your hair follicles. This will help regulate the way that testosterone is converted to DHT on the scalp. DHT is a primary cause of balding in both sexes. Leave the rinse on your hair and scalp for at least five minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.Advertisement
- 3Take 1-3 capsules of the dried herb capsules during the day.Taking the capsule at mealtimes ensures you are on a regular regimen of supplementation. It is best to use either the capsules or the tincture and not both at once. It is okay to take the brew and the tincture at the same time.
- 4Take 10 drops of commercial He Shou Wu tincture under the tongue twice a day.Read the labels on the tincture to see whether or not it is brewed with alcohol or glycerin. The tincture is often sold under the name Fo-Ti. It is best to use either the capsules or the tincture and not both at once. It is okay to take the tea and the tincture at the same time.
Method 2: Dong Quai
This hormone balancing herb is also sometimes sold with the name Chinese Angelica. Dong Quai contains phytoestrogens that prevent balding by stopping the hair follicles from accumulating DHT on the scalp. DHT is the active form of testosterone and your body produces too much of it when you are under physical or emotional stress or going through menopause.
- 1Take 1-3 tablespoons of Dong Quai extract a day.This helps clarify the scalp of excess DHT. The liquid form is very easily absorbed by the body and helps combat scalp inflammation. It also helps with alleviating fatigue and emotional stress.Advertisement
- 2Drink at least one cup of Dong Quai tea a day.Brew two cups of water with one teabag and drink at night. The herb has a relaxing effect that helps hair loss due to hormonal balances.
- 3Take 1-3 capsules of the dried herb extract per day.Taking the capsule at mealtimes ensures you are getting the dose that you need to take three times a day on a regular basis. Do not take the tincture and the herb at the same time. Choose one or the other to be part of your regimen. It is best to take one or the other, but okay to drink the extract or tea.
- 4Take 10 drops of commercial Dong Quai tincture under the tongue twice a day.Read the labels on the tincture to see whether or not it is brewed with alcohol or glycerin and avoid the alcohol preparation if you are sensitive to alcohol.
Method 3: Gotu Kola
This stimulating herb is sold in both tablet and as powder in capsule form. It is also sometimes known as Spadeleaf. It works to prevent hair loss in two ways. First, it improves blood circulation, which helps nourish hair follicles and encourage growing hair. Secondly it promotes hair growth by boosting the immune system, thus preventing scalp inflammation and hair loss due to ringworm and other infections of the scalp.
- 1Consume Goku Kola as a raw salad green whenever possible.Gotu Kola can be found raw in the salad greens section of specialty health food stores and at Asian markets. It goes well in any salad or you can steam it or boil it and serve it soaked in apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar also acts as hair restorative because it is also a natural DHT blocker.Advertisement
- 3Take 2 capsules of Goku Kola once a day or one capsule twice a day.The dried herb is sold in capsule form, and is the most convenient way to take the supplement.
Method 4: Panax Ginseng
Panax Ginseng is an adaptogen, which means that it is beneficial for many systems in the body at once. It is also sometimes sold with the names Asian Ginseng, Chinese Ginseng and Red Ginseng. Ginseng contains ginsenosides and panaxosides that help boost immunity and prevent hair loss due to scalp inflammation. Ginseng is also a warming herb that stimulates the circulation of the blood and thus healing nutrients to the scalp follicles. When you take ginseng the hair follicles are also better able to detoxify themselves.
- 1Drink two to four cups of ginseng root powder mixed in warm water a day.The tea usually comes in shiny little foil packets full of a grains that dissolve instantly in warm or hot water.You do not have to boil water to make this tea, it is only essential to dissolve the contents of the packet. You can also cool Ginseng tea and add it to beverages over the course of the day. [Image:Stop and Reverse Hair Loss Naturally Using Chinese Herbs_15727.jpg]]
- 2Take 2 ginseng supplements in capsule form a day.It is important to lessen your intake of tea or the extract, if you are taking the capsules too. One cup of the tea equals two capsules. Taking the tea one day and the capsules another day can help ensure that your body is absorbing all of the ginseng it can in two ways.
- 3Take 1-2 vials of ginseng extract a day.Ginseng extract is sold in one to three ounce vials. The top of the vial is broken and you sip the ginseng directly from it. Ginseng is a stimulant to the nervous system so it is important to moderate your intake of other forms of ginseng supplementation if you decide to use the extract.
- 4Add Panex Ginseng to your hair conditioner.Take a packet of powdered Panex Ginseng tea and add it to your hair conditioner. Shake well. You can expect the conditioner to turn yellow. Apply this mixture to your hair after each shampoo, using the conditioner and then rinsing out as you normally would.This way, you will be taking advantage of the scalp clarifying benefits of the tea every time you wash and condition your hair.
Method 5: Sang Ji Sheng
Sang Ji Sheng is a detoxifying herb made from stems. It is also sometimes sold under the name Taxillus, Mistletoe or White Mulberry. This herb cleanses the liver and kidneys, which in turn discourages the adrenal glands from producing cortisol. Cortisol is the substance that provokes the endocrine system to produce excess testosterone, which in turn converts to DHT on the scalp. It is a build-up of DHT on the scalp that causes hair loss in both men and women and this is the herb that can prevent that.
- 1Eat Sang Ji Sheng raw in salads whenever possible.The traditional way to eat these leaves is when they are young and still green. They are served raw and sliced thickly. However, in some parts of the world, such as North America, South America and Northern Europe, it can be hard to find. It is sometimes sold in Asian supermarkets and apothecaries.
- 2Drink Sang Ji Sheng as a tea twice a day.Brew a big handful of the dried herb in two cups of water and drink. You can also drink this decoction cold or add it to existing teas or lemonades.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- You can also restore the color of greying or white hair by drinking He Shou Wu Brew and using it as a hair rinse.
- If you have an estrogen-related breast cancer, uterine or prostate cancer do not take He Shou Wu.
- Do not confuse Goku Kola with the Kola nut, as the Kola nut is a powerful stimulant of the nervous system.
- Moderate your intake of ginseng because it can make you feel jumpy, nervous and agitated if you take to much of it.
Questions and Answers
Chinese herbs as hair rinse for hair restoration three years post breast cancer?
Hi, I'm interested to find a Chinese herb I can use as a hair rinse, for hair restoration, post breast cancer. I have hair, however, after three years it still hasn't thickened up as much as it was. I am having acupuncture and taking Chinese herbs, however seeing your article prompted me to ask for a hair rinse, as shampoo strips my hair of natural oil so and conditioners are too heavy, even natural non-chemical brands. Thanks, regards.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Have you ever used Fo Ti - He Shou Wu as a serum for hair regrowth?
Wondering how many 'drops' of concentrate to what carrier is good?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Stop and Reverse Hair Loss Naturally Using Chinese Herbs. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 23, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Stop_and_Reverse_Hair_Loss_Naturally_Using_Chinese_Herbs
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Stop and Reverse Hair Loss Naturally Using Chinese Herbs." VisiHow, visihow.com/Stop_and_Reverse_Hair_Loss_Naturally_Using_Chinese_Herbs Accessed 23 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Stop and Reverse Hair Loss Naturally Using Chinese Herbs." Accessed Mar 23, 2017. http://visihow.com/Stop_and_Reverse_Hair_Loss_Naturally_Using_Chinese_Herbs.