Stop and Reverse Hair Loss During Perimenopause Using Natural DHT Blockers vs By Making Lifestyle Changes vs By Changing Your Diet ... and 1 more
Edited by Donna, Eng, Doug Collins, VisiHow and 1 other
Perimenopause refers to the hormonal changes that take place gradually over a period as long as fifteen years before a woman experiences actual menopause. During this time two-thirds of women will start losing more hair than they can grow which results in the thinning of hair.
Here are some natural methods you can use to address perimenopausal hair loss.
Method 1: Using Natural DHT Blockers
Hair loss in perimenopausal women is the result of diminishing estrogen levels. Estrogen dampens down the effect of testosterone, which in turn produces the sex hormone DHT (dihydrotestosterone). DHT has the odd effect of discouraging hair growth on the head and encouraging hair growth on the face. Thankfully, you can block an overproduction of DHT by taking the following measures.
- 3Almonds, cashews, pecans and peanuts contain L-Lysine, which is a natural DHT inhibitor. Nuts also contain protein, which helps build healthy hair, as well as healthy fats that keep hair flexible and strong. These DHT blocking legumes are also rich in amino acids; the building blocks of healthy hair strands.Eat a handful of nuts that are rich in the amino acid L-Lysine every day.
- 8Basil leaves are effective, natural DHT blockers. Brew basil leaves in water as you would make a tea and then dispense into a squeeze bottle. When you are ready to rinse your hair after a shampoo, pour the rinse over your locks and massage it into your scalp.Rinse your hair with home made brewed Basil Leaf water.
- 9Emu oil contains linoleic acid, which halts DHT production. It is rich in fatty acids that promote hair growth. Simply massage the oil through clean dry hair and leave it on all day. You can also rinse it off if you like but try to leave the oil on your hair for at least an hour.Massage your hair with Emu Oil.
Method 2: By Making Lifestyle Changes
- 1If you are losing your hair it is time to eliminate all drama in your life and try to find some inner peace by just spending some time with yourself in meditation, taking a walk or simply doing something you enjoy. Too much emotional stress produced cortisol, which tells the endocrine system to produce testosterone and the result is a build-up of DHT on the scalp.Avoid emotional dramas, anxiety and stress.Advertisement
- 2If you can't manage taking a stroll every day then try for at least once a week. Walking helps reduce cortisol levels in your body, which in turn decreases the production of DHT on your scalp. The less excitement and physical stress you have in your life during per menopause, the better.Take an hour walk once a day.
- 3This can be done with your hands or a scalp massaging device. Massaging your head helps increase circulation to the hair follicles, which in turn helps them repair themselves and grow new hair.Stimulate your scalp every day by vigorously massaging it.
- 7Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Oleyl betain and mineral oils are ingredients on hair product labels to be avoided. They can cause hair follicles that are already overworked from perimenopausal stress to become even weaker.Avoid using hair products with too many chemicals.
- 9The hormonal disruptions that can come with the onset of perimenopause can include restlessness and insomnia. Be sure to sleep in a cool ventilated room and do not skimp on sleeping time. Perimenopausal women need at least eight hours of sleep a night to help balance their hormones and feel relaxed.Be sure to get a good night's sleep.
Method 3: By Changing Your Diet
- 1This includes fructose, sucrose, dextrose, maltose and glucose. Substitute Truvia or Stevia instead. The reason this is so important is because perimenopausal women are prone to blood sugar imbalances that trigger hormones to overproduce DHT. This can eventually cause baldness.Eliminate sugar from your diet.Advertisement
- 4The recommended diet for someone suffering form thinning hair would be the Paleo diet in which you avoid eating all white foods such as dairy, potatoes, bread, rice or potatoes and stick to eating foods that are high protein and brightly colored as those are the foods that are most nutritious for you.Eat a high protein, no-carb, low carb diet.
Method 4: By Taking Tea and Supplements
- 3Also known as Pygeum, pine bark has the ability to prevent testosterone from binding to the scalp and sabotaging hair growth. Take two to three capsules or as directed on the supplement's bottle.Take Pine Bark supplements.
- 4MSM stands for Methyl Sulfonyl Methane. As we age we produce less of the natural substance in our bodies and supplementation helps the perimenopausal individual repair cells damaged by DHT production.Take the supplement MSM.
- 5This acid helps control DHT overproduction that might come with the elevated blood sugar levels that are experienced by women with per menopause.Take the amino acid N-acetyl Cysteine.
- 6Saw palmetto blocks the enzyme that causes DHT levels to build up on the body so that new hair growth is possible.Take Saw Palmetto supplements.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Do not worry about your hair smelling odd after you use an apple cider vinegar rinse as the smell will dissipate as your hair dries.
- Tomatoes and greens that contain lycopene are more effective as if you cook them first.
- Perimenopausal hair loss can be more severe in some individuals than other and depend a lot on heredity.