Stop Your Voice from Cracking: Types of Fruits, Tea and Other Herbs That Really Help
Edited by Mian Sheilette Ong, Eng, Lynn, web4live and 11 others
Singing is a form of art that many people work hard to perfect. No matter what genre you want to specialize in, cracking in your voice is never a good thing. It makes you uncomfortable and embarrasses you when it happens just as you deliver your piece in front of a crowd or perhaps in a recording. Understanding how to stop your voice from cracking will help you appreciate the gift that you have even more. It will also make you a better singer. You can accomplish the task by using natural methods such as herbs. Of course, before you start using any of the suggestions in this article, you should consult your doctor first. This will allow you to maintain your general health and prevent damage to your vocal cords when you use them again in future presentations.
- 1 Why the Voice Cracks
- 2 What Singers Do to Remedy the Crack
- 3 Herbs and Fruits that Help Stop Voice Cracking
- 4 Formulas to Stop Voice Cracking and to Restore the Voice
- 5 Other Ways to Prevent Your Voice From Cracking
- 6 Tips
- 7 Questions and Answers
- 7.1 I want to improve my singing ability but my voice does crack.
- 7.2 How can I stop my voice from constant cracks?
- 7.3 How to sing a high voice without experience?
- 7.4 How can I stop my voice from cracking every time I sing?
- 7.5 What can cause sudden changes in your voice?
- 7.6 How are you? Draw a picture of magnolia and Piniella for me?
- 7.7 How can I produce soft-loud voice?
- 7.8 My voice is heavy and hoarse. I want it to be sweet.
- 7.9 How do I cure my voice cracking due to phlegm accumulation?
- 7.10 How can I sing like a perfect tenor? I'm 21 years old.
- 7.11 Why does my voice cracks with coughing and wheezing effects?
- 7.12 For about 4 months now, my voice has been seriously craking that you won't really hear me clearlly?
- 8 Comments
Why the Voice Cracks
The singing voice generally cracks because you have a limited registry or vocal range. The head voice is commonly used for high notes. The chest voice is used for mid-range and lower notes. In between the head and the chest notes, is the tenuous area you should master transcending, so your voice doesn't crack. The voice cracks when you cannot mix your registers well. Singers also have personal ranges or registers that make their voices crack. Some singers crack at low notes and others at high notes.
A crack or a break in your voice commonly occurs whenever you sing a particular same note in a particular song. To give a flawless performance, you have to know how to prevent your voice from cracking. If you could make it happen by natural means, the healthier the results will be.
What Singers Do to Remedy the Crack
Singers usually use the "slur" technique. This is when the singer uses a swooshing style to reach the high note in a much more relaxed state. It isn't a method that's always pleasant to the ear, but it does stop the voice from cracking. Vocal exercises also help improve a singer's use of different registers. These exercises help you find your range (how high and how low you can sing). When you find out your registers, and manage to mix them well, you will be able to avoid cracks in your voice.
Herbs and Fruits that Help Stop Voice Cracking
There are many things you can do to both exercise your voice, and deal with the cracks that may be present. Certain conditions such as sore throat, dry throat, and phlegm accumulation, also contribute to voice cracking. Here are some herbs that effectively relieve your throat and stop the cracking of your voice while you sing:
- 1Magnolia and Pinellia.A combination of these herbs can be used to treat throat polyps and improves the circulation of blood in the throat area.Advertisement
The herbs listed here are not subtle. They have various side-effects and certain people should not use certain herbs. Not only should you absolutely consult a physician before trying any of these, with the exception of mint, you should consult an herbalist.
- 1Chives, Arctium (burdock), Scutellaria (Blue Skullcap), Licorice Root, Gleditsia Fruit (Honey Locust), Centipeda (Old Man Weed), Tricosanthes Root (Gualou), Tussilago Farfara (Coltsfoot), Platycodon (Balloon Flower), Raw Rehmannia Glutinosa (Chinese Foxglove), Cimicifuga (Black Cohash), and Mentha (Mint).Individually used for treating sore throats.
- 2Cicada and Eriocaulum.Individually used for treating laryngitis and aphonia.Advertisement
- 3Gardenia.Used for tonsillitis and esophagitis.
- 4Phragmites(European Common Reed), Asparagus, and Yu-chu (Yuzhu).Used for treating dry throat.
- 5Scrophularia (figwort), Gentiana Cruciata (Gentien), Isatis Root, Belamcanda (Blackberry Lily), and Bidens (beggarticks).Any of these has been used individually for sore and swollen throat.
- 6Andrographis (Green chiretta).Used for tonsillitis.
- 7Lashiosphaera.An herb used for sore throat and pharyngitis treatment.
- 8Isatis leaf (Woad).This is used for treating pharyngitis.
- 9Subprostrata (Shandougen).Used to relieve inflammation in your throat.
- 10Adenophora (nanshashen).Used as treatment for sore and dry throat.
- 11Sterculia lychnophora seeds.An herb for treating sore throat and the aphonia that results from it.
- 12Oroxylum (Indian Trumpet Flower).An herb used for treating aphonia (loss of voice).
- 13Terminalia.Treats aphonia brought about by prolonged cough.
- 14Silkworm.Used to treat aphonia and throat inflammation.
These herbs and fruits are used in tonics and teas that can be taken to relieve your throat so that your voice won't crack when you sing. They can even control the production of mucus so irritation can be reduced.
Formulas to Stop Voice Cracking and to Restore the Voice
The following are combinations of several herbs to create formulas that can be made into teas and tonics to help you prevent or stop voice cracking:
Formula for Gasping
- 9 grams of Platycodon
- 15 grams of Mentha
- 9 grams of Licorice
- 9 grams of Forsythia
- 3 grams of Terminalia
- 6 grams of Catechu
- 3 grams of Cardamom
- 3 grams of Rhubarb
- 3 grams of Cnidium
Formula for Clearing the Throat
- 3 grams of Mentha
- 5 gram of Platycodon
- 3 grams of Arctium
- 3 grams of Licorice
- 5 grams of Silver
- 10 grams of Apricot seeds
- 5 grams of Schizonepeta
- 3 grams of Spirodela
- 3 grams of Chih-ko
- 3 seeds of Olive
- 6 grams of Silkworm
- 5 grams of Peucedanum
Formula for Sore Throat
- 9 grams of Mentha
- 6 grams of Platycodon
- 6 grams of Licorice
- 9 grams of Fritillaria
- 9 grams of Arctium
- 15 grams of Scrophularia
- 15 grams of Tricodanthes root
- 15 grams of Lonicera
- 15 grams of Phragmites
- 15 grams of Forsythia
- 9 grams of Silkworm
- 9 grams of Schizonepeta
- 9 grams of Tussilago
- 9 grams of Peudedanum
Other Ways to Prevent Your Voice From Cracking
Below are some easy ways of preventing voice cracking:
- 1Relax your voice, and relax yourself.When you are tense or stressed, your voice becomes a bit higher. Relax before your performance to prevent fluctuations in your pitch. Learn to calm yourself down before you step on that stage.
- 2Rest your voice.Don't strain your voice by screaming or yelling. Talk only when necessary and do so in your normal voice range.
- 3Do not drink ice-cold water.If you use your voice all the time or if you have just performed, do not drink ice-cold water. Lukewarm water is much easier on your throat. Ice-cold water will only contribute to your vocal tension.
- 4Have lukewarm water ready when you're performing.This helps to lubricate your throat and decreases the stress on your vocal cords.
- 5Do not eat chocolates before you perform.This will only make your throat scratchy.
- 6Don't drink milk or consume dairy products.
Stopping your voice from cracking is vital if you want a flawless performance. Vocal cord care should be discussed in detail with your doctor if you want to have healthy, functional vocal cords for years to come. These herb and fruit formulations should be shared with your healthcare provider so that proper doses can be administered and your progress could be monitored.
- Ask your doctor about the herbs and fruits that you can take if you have other conditions or are taking other medications.
- Eat more antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables.
- Do not abuse or overuse your voice.
- Try to sleep eight hours a day.
- Practice relaxation techniques.
- Don't smoke.
- Always warm up your voice with vocal exercises, both for performing and practicing.
Check out this VisiHow article Warm up your voice/vocal cords before singing.
Questions and Answers
I want to improve my singing ability but my voice does crack.
I want to improve my singing ability but my voice does crack sometimes. Have tried some stuff but didn't get any results. I have the ability, but to train myself always seem thwarted by this cracking voice. Please help?
Make sure you don't have an allergy or take any medications first, as those may make your voice crack.
- Warm up a lot before singing.
- As you practice singing, start with maintaining a steady flow of air that should be adequate (not too low or not too high) to sing, especially on high notes.
- Then, over days, try not to put too much pressure in your throat as you keep the steady flow.
- After a few days, try to open up your throat and relax your body.
Please understand that your vocal range and its capabilities within each smaller range differ, and you have to practice each range to overcome the fear of cracking.
- You can try the exercise singing the "ee" sound as in "b[EE]p" from your lowest range to the highest and back at a moderate speed.
- If your voice cracks within the range, isolate the range with several notes and practice singing the "faulty" range up and down until your voice stops cracking.
- Do this exercise with the "ah" sound as soon as the cracks are gone.
How can I stop my voice from constant cracks?
It is terrible. At night, when I'm talking, I can't even be heard. Talk more of singing than about 9 am it clears a bit that I can sing and be heard. It even affects me doing vocal exercises because my throat starts getting scratchy or painful.
Make sure you avoid seeds, nuts, crackers, chips, and other dry food in your diet. Drink a lot of warm water and eat eggs. Wear a scarf. Alcohol and smoking (passively too) are not allowed! If you overstrain the vocal cords, they may start to ache. That is a signal to get some rest, even more than for a day (that means you have to avoid exercises too!) If you are female, then there is a natural cycle that affects the voice. If you are young, then there are certain changes that can affect your voice. Try not to talk loudly or at all during the day. Some famous singers do not talk or sing at all for days before their performances!
Then, start breathing from the belly. Reduce the pressure on the vocal cords and the larynx by learning how to breathe that way. Lie down or stand up and put a weight on your belly and feel or see it rise and fall.
If you do not succeed in ridding yourself of the pain or the scratchy feeling in your throat, then you will have to hire a teacher who will teach you certain techniques that will stop you from straining. A lot of singers, like Tom Keifer, have gone to many teachers to find the right one to help them.
See more questions like this: How to get rid of voice cracks?
How to sing a high voice without experience?
I can't really sing high notes. What would be the most effective food or natural herb that I should take? I really need to know because we will have a band in the next week. Hard to sing in high note, and effective food or herbal to make it good Thank you.
Not everyone can sing a high note. Working within your vocal range is recommended. When you strain your vocal chords trying to reach notes, there can be damage. This will cause you to possibly constrict your range even more than before.
Start by slowly warming up your voice in your normal range. Vocal exercises can help you lubricate your vocal chords. As you progress through the exercises, attempt to sing higher notes as you climb the scales. Teas that contain Ginger and Black Pepper can help with inflammation of the vocal chords. Chai Tea can contain both these ingredients. You will not want to add milk or sugar to the tea, drink it plain. If you need to sweeten it, add honey, not sugar. Steep for longer than the recommended time and drink it lukewarm. You will also want to pause every 5 minutes during your exercise and drink water.
How can I stop my voice from cracking every time I sing?
I am a singer in church and every time I sing for like 20 minutes, my voice immediately becomes cracked really bad. I have tried: Not shouting too much, drinking warm water before performances, and menthols. I think it was caused by: I don't really know
Some throat drops are used by singers to soothe the throat. Menthol-based may cool your throat and numbs the vocal cords. Avoid menthol and try fruit flavors for drops instead. Regarding foods, try eggs. Make sure that you avoid seeds, nuts, crackers, chips, and other dry food in your diet. Wear a scarf. Alcohol and smoking (passively too) are not allowed!
As an alternative, try not talking for the whole day before your performance and practice and see if it helps. Also, try to move your sleeping schedule closer to the rehearsals or performances. The vocal cords work better during the first two hours after sleep.
If you are young, then there are certain changes that will affect your voice. If you are female, then there is a natural cycle that affects your voice.
Start breathing from the belly. Reduce the pressure on the vocal cords and the larynx by learning how to breathe that way. Lie down or stand up and put a weight on your belly and feel or see it rise up and fall down. Also, try to find a personal teacher who will work with you.
What can cause sudden changes in your voice?
I used to be able to project my voice a lot better. Take for example the song Defying Gravity from the Broadway musical Wicked. The ending used to be a breeze and now on certain notes my voice cracks. It's been feeling very weak and scratchy for the last few months and I was wondering if there might have been something that triggered this, and how can I get back to where I was. I have tried: I've tried to retrain my voice by singing more and trying to push through the parts that are weaker. I've rested. I drink fluids while singing. I think it was caused by: It feels like I need to clear my throat all the time, but nothing happens when I do, and if I try to hard my throat gets raw and irritated. I hear stress can make your voice weaker, and if you aren't stretching the rest of your body it can affect the vocal cords. So one of these last two things is the best guess. I'm not as flexible as I used to be and I've been stressed with college.
Because you are in college it could also mean that dry air is a factor. Even mold and dust can cause irritation. If you are experiencing dry lips then it is definitely dry in class. Try sleeping with a cool mist humidifier at night. Consider taking a few hot yoga classes to see if stretching helps and the yoga will help relieve some of your stress. Be careful trying to push through your range as your vocal chords could be swollen. It is beneficial to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night, which can be challenging while in college.
If you don't have a humidifier, try putting a bowl of ice near your bed. Also, have you just moved? The change might be due to different heating. Have you recently gotten a cat or dog? That could also be the problem.
How are you? Draw a picture of magnolia and Piniella for me?
How do I treat hoarse voice, my voice is very bad. I think it was caused by: Cold
A hoarse voice caused a cold virus will go away. It can sometimes take two weeks or more after you begin to feel better before your voice is back to normal. Drink plenty of tea and water and rest your voice as much as possible. Do not force a cough as this can damage your irritated throat. Gargle with a salt-water solution three times a day.
How can I produce soft-loud voice?
My voice is harsh and low, and it is not soft
Change a Harsh Voice Into a Sweet Soft Singing Voice is a VisiHow article with answers to your question. Some people will always have a low vocal range no matter what they do but it is worth trying some of the suggestions in the article.
My voice is heavy and hoarse. I want it to be sweet.
My voice is heavy and starts cracking. I want my voice to be sweet. I am 15 years old, what should I do? Please tell me!
You are 15, which means that your larynx is still growing. This can cause the cracking sounds. Over time as your body grows there are changes like this. Just like you see that you are suddenly taller, other parts of your body such as your larynx are growing as well. A male will also begin producing more testosterone at the age of 15, which can cause vocal changes. The good news is that this is normal and will not last long. Soon your body will be fully formed and you will be able to work with the vocal range you possess.
How do I cure my voice cracking due to phlegm accumulation?
Because of my asthma, my phlegm accumulated in my throat and my voice became lower than it used to be. I can no longer do falsetto notes like I could before. I have tried: Nothing. I think it was caused by: Asthma.
Ginger and lemon are both powerful anti-phlegm foods. Make a tea by steeping a piece of ginger in bowling water. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of honey. Drink this three times a day. I use this solution without the honey and add it to ice tea in the summer months. You can also add a chunk of ginger to your water bottle for all day benefits.
Keep in mind that if you use any inhalant medication to help with your asthma, are damaging to your throat and vocal chords. Make sure that you rinse your mouth out each time you use your inhaler and you might want to go further and gargle with salt water. These inhalers can cause what is a yeast infection called thrush which will cause excess phlegm.
As an asthmatic, you should refrain from any dairy products, no milk, cheese, even eggs are phlegm producing foods. White wine is hard on breathing as well.
How can I sing like a perfect tenor? I'm 21 years old.
My voice sounds so light, I can't control my pitch, my voice easily cracks any time I sing. Please help me
This YouTube Tutorial shows you how to begin controlling your pitch. As for your light voice, make sure that you are singing from your diaphragm. Pushing air up from your stomach to your throat is not effective. You need to project from your diaphragm. Place your hand on your stomach just below your rib cage and see if you can feel your diaphragm moving or vibrating while singing.
Why does my voice cracks with coughing and wheezing effects?
I have a cold and cough all the time. I do feel my crack voice many times. What can I do to fix this problem?
Make an appointment with your doctor. Seems more like allergies or sinus problems.
For about 4 months now, my voice has been seriously craking that you won't really hear me clearlly?
For about 4 months now, my voice has been seriously cracking that you won't really hear me clearly. It has not been that bad before now, it even get get worse when I want to sing aloud. I love singing so much but, because of this, I fine it very to even join my church choir. Is so bad that my voice will seize while I'm trying to sing so loud. I have tried: To drink some ginger tea, hot water and to leak some minty sweets. I think it was caused by: Nothing really, I was only thinking if it could be age.. Or could have been the type of food that I eat
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Voice Lessons & Tips
Recent edits by: Nuance, Maria, Alma