Stop Your Stomach from Hurting
Edited by Jerry Rivers, Anonymous, Lynn, Alma and 1 other
There are many causes for a stomachache. There are a number of organs in you abdominal area, and anyone of them, besides your stomach itself can cause your stomachache. Many times you will suffer from stomach pain for only a matter of hours before it passes, but those hours can be so excruciating that the pain seems to be an eternity. The cause could be as harmless as a change in diet, or it can be a very serious malady. If the pain is extremely severe, and/or lasts more than a day, get to a physician for tests to find the cause. Your severe stomach pain could be caused from gall stones, reflux (GERD), pancreatitis, side effects from a medicine, diverticulitis, endometriosis, parasites, thyroid malfunction, and many other causes. Such causes as these demand diagnosis and treatment from a medical doctor.
Most causes for your stomach pain can be readily soothed by one of many home remedies. The next time you are a victim of a stomachache, try one of these natural treatments.
First of all, be sure to rest with any stomach ailment. You may have a stomach virus, or a more serious problem. Your stomachache is sending you a message that there is a problem, so avoid exercise completely. You will need all of your strength to recover from this malady.
Home Remedies to Relieve Stomach Pain
- 1If you have nausea with a minor stomach ailment, there are several home remedy choices to soothe or end your stomach pain:Advertisement
- If you have nausea with the stomachache, try one of these three herbal remedies. Drink chamomile tea, ginger tea and honey, or peppermint tea.
- Drink baking soda and water. Stir just a tablespoon in about 8 ounces of warm water, and drink it slowly. If you still have nausea and a stomachache after a few hours, try another dose of the baking soda and warm water.
- Drink plenty of water. If you are vomiting from the nausea and stomach pain, you should drink a glass or more of water each waking hour. This will prevent dehydration. Sports drinks will replace the loss of potassium.
- Avoid stomach irritating foods. Eat only foods that are easily digestible. Stay away from sugary, spicy or greasy foods as long as your stomach hurts. Any dairy products that contain bacteria may also continue the nausea and stomach upset.
- Drink a solution of apple-cider vinegar and warm water. Mix two tablespoons in a cup of warm water, and drink every few hours until the stomach pain and nausea are gone.
- 2If your stomach hurts without nausea, try one of these remedies:Advertisement
- Drink ginger tea. This will soothe your stomach problem unless your stomach is sensitive to this spicy herb. If this is the case, you can buy a ginger supplement at your local nutrition store.
- Try eating or drinking licorice or fennel. Either of these is an effective treatment for a stomachache unless the taste is aversive. You can chew the licorice or fennel to soothe indigestion. You can take them as supplements, or drink either one as part of an herbal tea.
- Peppermint will ease stomach pain. Add a little of this plant to a glass of warm water, or chew a sprig of peppermint as it is. It comes in supplement form, but also as a flavoring for mint tea. It can also relieve menstrual cramps.
- Chamomile not only soothes nausea and stomachaches, but it settles nerves and promotes sleep. As a tea you can find chamomile at your grocery store. Lemon in chamomile tea also helps relieve stomach upset.
- Lemon and warm water soothes a stomachache. Lemons are readily available in the produce section of your neighborhood grocery store. Try using a half lemon in a glass of warm water.
- Take baking soda and water. There is no need to buy a costly antacid, as it is only sodium bicarbonate, just like plain baking soda. The simple recipe is a teaspoon or two of baking soda in a glass of warm water. Take again a couple hours later if the stomach discomfort still lingers.
- Drink warm saltwater. Add a teaspoon of table salt to a glass of water to get your stomach back to normal. It will also relieve sore throat pain. Just add a teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water, and drink it. Doctors say to use a different stomachache remedy if you have high blood pressure, or other health problem.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Alma, Lynn, Anonymous