Stop Windows Applications from Opening on Startup
Edited by Derekkandler, Eng, Lynn, Alma
When you first get a new Windows computer, its startup time is fantastic. After you begin downloading and installing software, however, the startup process begins to slow down. The reason for this is many applications start running as soon as you turn on your computer. While this is sometimes ideal, it is usually not necessary. These steps help you find the applications that run at startup, and show you how to disable them from doing so.
- 2The default view of the Task Manager window is the "Process" tab. This tab is very useful for when your computer is freezing or running very slow after the startup process. It shows you which applications are running, as well as how much CPU, memory and disk space is being used by each application.Select "Task Manager" from the list of options.Advertisement
- 4Any application that you do not use regularly needs to be disabled from running on startup. Select the row of an application you wish to disable, and then click the "Disable" button on the bottom right of the window. Repeat this step for all applications that do not need to run at startup.Select an application and disable.Advertisement
- If you do not know what an application in the list does, look at the Publisher column. If the application is from Microsoft, for example, there is a good chance that the application needs to run on startup for your computer to function correctly. Only disable applications that you are familiar with.
- Check this list regularly. Some applications ask you specifically whether to run on startup during the installation process. Other applications do not give you this option and are added to the list automatically. Check this list every few weeks to optimize your computer's startup time.
- Unless you are an experienced user, never disable applications that are published by hardware component manufactures, such as Intel or Realtek. These applications control the audio and visual aspects of your computer, and they need to run at startup for your computer to run properly.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Stop Windows Applications from Opening on Startup. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 29, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Stop_Windows_Applications_from_Opening_on_Startup
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Stop Windows Applications from Opening on Startup." VisiHow, visihow.com/Stop_Windows_Applications_from_Opening_on_Startup Accessed 29 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Stop Windows Applications from Opening on Startup." Accessed May 29, 2017. http://visihow.com/Stop_Windows_Applications_from_Opening_on_Startup.
Categories : Windows
Recent edits by: Lynn, Eng, Derekkandler