Edited by Bobby-Jo Keats, Eng, Inukshuk
If you are trying to kick your smoking habit, there are many resources and products available to help you quit smoking for good. Quitting smoking is not easy, it really depends on the individual since everyone and their level of addiction is different. Self-control is vital and a complete attitude change towards cigarettes is vital. You have to make up your mind to not want to smoke and accept available help to quit smoking cigarettes. The following are some suggestions are possible aids you can use to help meet your goal and quit smoking permanently.
- 1With Vapes.Using e-cigarettes or 'vaping' as it is often called, has helped many people who are trying to stop smoking. It works electronically to release e-liquid in vaporized form to the user. It usually contains propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerine, flavoring, distilled water and may or may not contain low levels of nicotine depending on what you decide.Advertisement
- 2With Nicotine Patches.Wearing nicotine patches help to control nicotine cravings by releasing small amounts of nicotine throughout the day. These are available over-the-counter at most pharmacies.Advertisement
- 3With Nicotine Gum.Nicotine gum is often used to decrease with the withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting smoking and lessening the urge to smoke. It releases nicotine into your body and bloodstream to help control cravings. It works best if you are already going through a smoking cessation program.
- 4With Acupuncture.Some people have used this method to quit smoking. Acupuncture works to regulate the body's natural symptoms by stimulating the flow of energy through the body where small needles are partially inserted into specific areas of the body. This can help reduce cravings, calm the mind of anxiety and strengthen and cleanse the lungs.
- 5With Laser Treatment.Laser treatments are used to deal the physical and psychological symptoms of quitting smoking. A laser therapist uses the laser beam on specific areas of the body to help release endorphins. It helps the body to naturally detoxify the nicotine from their body and the therapist also instructs and counsels you with helpful tips and techniques and may even track your progress.
- 6With Hypnosis.Hypnosis works to alter your awareness and is used to treat both physical and psychological problems. When used to quit smoking, a hypnotherapist will help you relax and concentrate and will make suggestions to you about quitting smoking while you are in a state of mind to be able to repeat mantras or affirmations to use each time you have a craving. Results vary but if you choose this method, make sure that the hypnotherapist you choose is fully licensed and trained.
- 7With Prescription Medication.There are several prescription medications available to people trying to quit smoking which can help reduce cravings or the symptoms from withdrawal. These include bupropion, also known as Zyban and varenicline, also known as Chantix. However, keep in mind that while taking medication to quit smoking, the medications themselves cause side effects.
- 8With Counselling.Counselling from a psychologist or a psychiatrist can help you discover the underlying issues behind your smoking and why you battle with an addiction specifically. There are also quitting smoking helplines available for people seeking help.
- 9With Nicotine Spray.Nicotine spray is used to treat cravings by releasing small amounts of nicotine into your mount when you spray. They can be purchased over-the-counter but have a very strong taste and can cause tingling lips, burning or irritation of the throat, heartburn or nausea.
- 10With Meditation.Personal meditation is another way to conquer your smoking addiction. It takes will power and a belief in mind-over-matter. Mediation can be done at anytime and anywhere. The key is to relaxed your mind and body in a peaceful, quiet environment and envision your smoking addiction and the toxins in your body being cleansed and destroyed and the toxins exiting your body. You can create your own mantra or affirmation about quitting smoking and repeat it throughout the day to stay strong in your conviction.
- 11Cold Turkey.If you don't want to wean yourself off your smoking addiction and just want to stop smoking for good, you can kick your nicotine habit cold turkey. This is mind-over-matter using will power to choose not to smoke at every opportunity. You have to be fully motivated to quit and remove the desire to smoke. You can quit smoking by making your mind up on it and not budging. It requires a change in attitude, not viewing a cigarette as a crutch of any kind and not making excuses for it.
Other Methods to Quit Smoking
Here are some addition things to try when trying to kick the habit and permanently quit smoking.
- 1Free Stop Smoking Kit.Depending where you live, most places offer free smoking kits and smoking cessation classes for free. These can be beneficial and use nicotine replacement therapy that you can usually receive for free.
- 2Check Local Quitting Smoking Campaigns.Some workplaces and even colleges endorse quitting smoking campaigns. Some of these include competitions in which you can win prizes depending on your progress. Some spend a month raising awareness about the dangers of smoking or the importance of quitting and may offer prizes to the most successful individual. These may be the motivation needed by some to kick the habit for good.
- 3Quit Smoking Apps.Another option is to download a quitting smoking app which can help connect you to other individuals who are quitting or have conquered their smoking addiction. Many of these users encourage others to quit while sharing tips and tricks to do so successfully.
- 4With a Support System.No doubt you have friends who encourage you not to smoke or fully support your resolve to quit. Maybe they have quit smoking themselves or maybe they are health-conscious individuals who care about your well-being. These people can be a great support system. Let them know you are trying to quit smoking and ask them if it is okay to send one of them a message or give them a call for support during intense cravings. You may find hearing their encouragement or just talking on the phone for three minutes can get you completely past craving without lighting up.
- 5Go to Seminars about Quitting Smoking.Often times there are local seminars put on about quitting smoking. You might see posters around your city. At these seminars, you will receive advice and tips for quitting smoking and can interact with like-minded people. You can learn methods to overcome the addiction and tips how to deal with the withdrawals.
- 6Focus on the Benefits of Quitting Smoking.Attitude is everything. When you think about having a cigarette you can mentally remind yourself of benefits to your health and your wallet by not smoking cigarettes. Think about what you will buy with the money you're saving.
- 7Understand What Happens When You Quit Smoking.Make sure you understand and think about exactly what happens when you quit smoking. Understand the mood swings you may experience, an increase in appetite, fatigue and other symptoms of nicotine withdrawal so you are prepared to handle it.
- 8Recognize the Dangers to Your Health.Think about the dangers to your health when you are experiencing a craving. Think about the toxins the cigarette contains and what it does to your lungs and the rest of your body. Concentrating on the negative effects can help you get through your cravings.
- 9With an Injection.Some doctors offer a shot to block nicotine receptors in the brain. This is usually done with the patient under anesthesia and can be very dangerous. The injection contains atropine and scopolamine, which are known anticholinergics. These run the risk of very unpleasant side effects so be sure to consult with your doctor before deciding.
- 10Hold Yourself Accountable.If you cave to your craving, do not simply dismiss it as no big deal because it will get easier to do so. Create consequences to caving in to cravings and stick to it. This can help discourage you to light up in the future.
- 11If you fail, try again.Most people don't quit smoking successfully on their first attempt. Don't let it dishearten you. Try again by trying a different method but don't give up. Success may be just around the corner.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
For more tips and tricks for quitting smoking please see Quit Smoking Cigarettes - Tips and Tricks
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Stop Smoking by Using Aids. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Stop_Smoking_by_Using_Aids
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Stop Smoking by Using Aids." VisiHow, visihow.com/Stop_Smoking_by_Using_Aids Accessed 24 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Stop Smoking by Using Aids." Accessed Mar 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Stop_Smoking_by_Using_Aids.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Eng, Bobby-Jo Keats