Stop Hair Loss by Eating These 18 DHT Blocking Foods Almonds vs Bananas vs Egg Yolks ... and 15 more
Edited by Donna, Eng, Anonymous, Doug Collins and 7 others
- 1 The Cause of DHT Related Hair Loss
- 2 Tips and Tricks
- 3 Questions and Answers
- 3.1 I am losing hair due to hypothyroidism.
- 3.2 I am losing hair and it is not growing back?
- 3.3 How to avoid going bald on the forehead?
- 3.4 Can vellus hair grow into full terminal hair?
- 3.5 Hello, it is a bit tough task to include all of them, so can I use some of them?
- 3.6 CAN I REGAIN MY HAIR LOSS DUE TO MALE PATTERN TYPE?
- 3.7 How many days it requires for a fallen hair with white bulb to regrow?
- 3.8 Hello Donna. I have a bald patch on the crown of my head and I am looking for ways to grow hair there?
- 3.9 No hair on my front side of head. It is a hereditary problem?
- 3.10 Is there one product that would have maximum ingredients to block DHT?
- 4 Comments
The Cause of DHT Related Hair Loss
DHT (dihydrotestosterone) is a sex hormone is produced in hair follicles and adrenal glands in both sexes, as well as in the prostate and testes in men. Both sexes also produce the hormone testosterone. When the body's hormones are out of balance and produce too much testosterone, DHT blocks follicles from growing hair and balding is the result. The goal of eating foods that block excessive DHT production is to stop hair loss naturally, without having to take medications, or as a support for medications you may already be taking.
Here are some foods you can eat now to block Excessive DHT Production and re-grow your hair.
Method 1: Almonds
Almonds are rich in L-lysine, which is a powerful DHT inhibitor. Almonds are also a healthy vegan source of protein that supports the growth of new hair. They are also rich in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, the "good" fats that are needed to produce healthy strands of hair with great tensile strength (meaning hair that is less likely to break).
- 2Sprinkle crushed almonds on your cereal in the morning.Advertisement
- 3Add almonds as a topping to baked fish dishes for dinner.
Method 2: Bananas
Bananas are a vegetarian source of biotin, which helps prevent testosterone from converting into the active forms of DHT that causes balding. Bananas are a good source of potassium, which helps the circulatory system work to efficiently bring nutrients to the scalp. Bananas also contain FOS (fructooligosaccharides) that help maintain healthy gut bacteria, which in turn, helps reduce DHT overproduction.
- 2Slice bananas and top with yogurt for a high protein treat.
- 3Add bananas to smoothies to give them the added kick of biotin and potassium.
Method 3: Egg Yolks
Egg yolks contain biotin, which is a nutrient that helps subdue the effects of DHT production. Egg yolks also help the body create essential fatty acids, which are necessary for growing healthy hair. The sulfur that occurs naturally in egg yolks can also help you grow thick long locks. Eggs are also an excellent source of protein and protein is what helps grow hair.
- 2Eat poached eggs, which allows you to enjoy the benefits of the cooked egg yolk.
- 3Eat eggs Benedict, which features poached eggs with Hollandaise sauce; a sauce made of egg yolks.
Method 4: Cashews
Cashews are very rich in zinc, which directly stops testosterone from converting into the active forms of DHT that can cause baldness. Cashews are also very high in minerals that prompt the re-growth of hair, including copper, phosphorus, manganese, manganese and zinc.
- 2Top your desserts with cashew cream, made by blending water and cashews in a high-speed blender.
- 3Combine chicken with cashews, green beans and spices for a high protein, nutritious meal that blocks DHT production.
Method 5: Carrots
Carrots are a rich source of lycopene, a substance that inhibits DHT naturally by damping down the effects of 5 alpha reeducate, the active constituent of testosterone that produces DHT.
- 2Drink carrot juice combined with mango juice, which will give you a double dose of DHT-blocking lycopene.
- 3Roasted carrot with a high protein dish like lamb or beef to really enhance your hair's chances for re-growth
Method 6: Kale
Kale is high in zinc, a mineral that halts the conversion of testosterone to DHT. Kale also contains Isothiocyanates that play a primary role in the detoxification of excess hormones from the body. Kale also contains 45 flavonoids that help fight diseases of the scalp follicles as well as reduce hair follicle inflammation. Hair follicle inflammation is the first sign that an excess of DHT production is about to or is causing hair loss.
- 2Eat kale raw in salads to enjoy the full detoxifying benefits of this leafy green.
- 3Make kale chips by seasoning and roasting the leaves in the oven for twenty minutes and eating them as a snack.
Method 7: Mangoes
Mangoes are a delicious source of lycopene, which helps reduce the conversion of testosterone into DHT. They are a rich source of Vitamin C, which helps heal damaged scalps, and also vitamin E, which is a healer of the skin. Mangos are best eaten raw.
- 2Simply blend mangoes with ice to make a nutritious DHT blocking drink.
- 3Top sliced mangoes with cashew cream for a delicious treat that that is doubly effective at blocking DHT.
Method 8: Oysters
Oysters, eaten raw, are especially high in zinc, which makes them an ideal addition to a DHT-blocking diet. They are also a rich source of potassium and magnesium, needed for proper blood circulation and the carrying of nutrients from the bloodstream to the hair follicles. Additionally, oysters are a very generous source of iron and other minerals that are beneficial for hair, including calcium, phosphorus, copper and selenium. The high vitamin C and E content in oysters can also help calm an inflamed scalp.
- 2Barbecue oysters on the grill and serve with your favorite oyster sauce.
- 3Make Oysters Rockefeller, which is oysters grilled with spinach and grated parmesan for a high-protein, DHT blocking treat with an added dose of iron (from the spinach)
Method 9: Pecans
Pecans contain L-Lysine, which is a natural DHT blocker. This rich flavored "nut" is actually a fruit full of monosaturated fatty acidic and ellagic acid, which help prevent compromised hair follicles from infection. Pecans are also an exceptional source of gamma-tocopherol; a very potent source of vitamin E can that can help reduce scalp inflammation, and subsequent hair loss. Furthermore, pecans contain several minerals, including iron, manganese and selenium, that are essential for the ongoing health of hair follicles.
- 2Cook with pecans rather than other nuts when baking.
- 3Every now and then, have a slice of pecan pie, to up your DHT blocking capacity.
Method 10: Peanuts
This nutritious legume contains L-Lysine and biotin. Both are natural DHT inhibitors and they are also a heart-healthy source of protein, unusually rich in folate and molybdenum. These two nutrients help scalp follicles utilize the iron and copper needed to grow healthy hair. They are also rich in monounsaturated fats which help keep hair follicles nourished by a healthy cardiovascular system.
- 2Use organic peanut butter with no additives to boost your L-Lysin and biotin levels.
- 3Add peanuts to savory poultry dishes such as baked chicken or chicken stir-fry.
Method 11: Pumpkin Seeds
If you are suffering from hair loss, this should be one of your snacks of choice. Pumpkin seeds block DHT buildup in the hair follicle because they contain a steroid called delta-7 sterine. Pumpkin seeds are usually available at health food stores, pre-packaged as a snack.
- 2Add whole unseasoned pumpkin seeds to breads and baked goods.
- 3Crush pumpkin seeds until they are ground up fine and use as a condiment that you can sprinkle on your food.
Method 12: Swiss Chard
This healthy green helps block DHA and maintain healthy hair follicles due to the fact that it contains many powerful anti-oxidants that fight scalp inflammation. Swiss chard also contains a powerful flavonoid called syringic acid that lowers blood sugar and inflammation in the body, which in turn helps preventing balding. A phyto nutrient called betalain in Swiss Chard can also help the body regulate its hormonal activity and detoxify itself of excess DHT. .
- 2Stir fry Swiss Chard with garlic and a healthy oil like olive oil.It makes a tasty side dish.
- 3Steam Swiss Chard and season with Iodized salt and apple cider vinegar to create a side dish that encourages hair growth
Method 13: Tomatoes
Tomatoes contain the anti-oxidant lycopene, which prevents testosterone from converting into DHT and blocking hair growth. Cooked and canned tomatoes are an even better source of lycopene than raw. The darker the tomato, the more lycopene it contains. Tomatoes also contain Vitamin C which helps heal damaged hair follicles.
- 2Add cut up tomatoes to all of your pasta sauce or chili sauce recipes.
- 3Make bruschetta by broiling garlic, tomatoes and cheese on bread.
Method 14: Tuna
Tuna is a good source of biotin, which helps prevent hair loss by slowing down the production of DHT on the scalp. Tuna also contains the mineral selenium, in a form that is very nourishing and helps prevent inflammation, and dandruff. Tuna is also a very rich source of EP and DHA, two critical omega-3 fatty acids that encourage hair growth and that are found in canned tuna.
- 2Eat tuna with basil and a touch of mayonnaise for a lunchtime snack
- 3Bake tuna with tomatoes and onions for a healthy, DHT-blocking supper.
Method 15: White Mushrooms
White cremini mushrooms are a bountiful source of zinc, which directly blocks DHT production. They are also a rich vegetarian source of Vitamin D and pantothenic acid, which are needed to grow thick, flexible and glossy strands of hair.
- 2Serve fried mushrooms with your main courses.
- 3White mushrooms that are served antipasto style in vinegar and oil are also a good source of DHT-blocking zinc.
Method 16: Wheat Germ
Wheat germ is very high in zinc, which blocks DHT production. Wheat germ is high in all of the essential components needed to grow healthy hair, including folate, Vitamin E, all the B vitamins, omega fatty acids and protein.
- 2Top yogurt and fruit with a sprinkle of raw wheat germ.
- 3Add raw wheat germ to a smoothie to make it a DHT-blocking drink.
Method 17: Walnuts
Like the other nuts on this list, walnuts contain the natural DHT inhibitor, L-Lysine. Walnuts are high in protein and contain a particularly beneficial source of vitamin E called gamma-tocopherol, that encourages hair growth. This nut also contains rare anti-inflammatory nutrients such as juglone, tannin and morin that help combat hair loss due to problems with the prostate and prostate cancer.
- 2Consume walnut tarts as an occasional treat to get the anti-inflammatory benefits in a tasty way.
- 3When making pesto, add a handful of walnuts to the basil and garlic mix to boost its Vitamin E content.
Method 18: Watermelon
Watermelon is an ample source of lycopene, which blocks DHT by not allowing testosterone to convert into HT. Watermelon is also a good source of Vitamin C, which helps heal the scalp, and is an organic source of B-12 and B6, which helps re-grow hair lost to metabolic issues such as Type II Diabetes. This rehydrating fruit also contains an amino acid called Citrulline, that supports kidney function and circulation, making sure that any excess DHT produced by the body is efficiently eliminated through waste
- 2Freeze watermelon and then whirl in a blender with ice to make a watermelon smoothie.
- 3Broil watermelon and serve on greens with feta cheese for a healthy DHT-blocking treat.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- The reddest part of the watermelon contains the most lycopene, so it is best to wait for a watermelon to get fully ripe before you eat it.
- Cooked egg yolks are richer in DHT-blocking biotin than raw egg yolks.
- Cooking white mushrooms enhances their DHT-blocking properties.
- The richest source of biotin from tuna is albacore, but albacore tuna is also more likely to be contaminated with mercury, which can sabotage hair growth.
- If you are allergic to wheat, or you're gluten intolerant, it is best to stay away from wheat germ as a DHT blocker as those two conditions can provoke DHT production.
Questions and Answers
I am losing hair due to hypothyroidism.
I am losing hair due to hypothyroidism, What should I do?
Taking an iron supplement with Apply Cider vinegar will help with your hair loss. When you take an iron supplement, you will want to wait at least three hours before or after you take your thyroid medications. This will help with better absorption of the iron. The Apple Cider vinegar will give you some stomach acid. This is low with those that have hypothyroidism. Using a natural progesterone cream will balance your hormones which are depleted with hypothyroidism. Hypothyroid Mom is an excellent website for information on how to manage symptoms of hypothyroidism. There is a regular newsletter you can subscribe to as well as a Facebook page. Check it out! It always helps when you can get input from someone else who suffers the same ailments. Often their trial and errors save time and frustration.
Here are two more VisiHow articles that pertain to hypothyroidism:
I am losing hair and it is not growing back?
I have recently undergone a hysterectomy. I have the problem of a lot of hair loss from the past 4-5 years.. I am losing my hair from roots, and it has thinned, looking dull, with no shine. Also, I have graying hairs. Hair growth is also very slow. Please help. I have tried: Some hair oils. I think it was caused by: Hard water and stress
If your ovaries were removed in the hysterectomy, you are suffering a major hormonal imbalance. It is normal for hair loss during the first three months of a hysterectomy even if you keep your ovaries. Since you have been experiencing this for 4 to 5 years, there is something else involved with the hair loss. Many medications cause hair loss, so check to see if you are taking one. If you use facial creams that contain Retinol A, this too can cause hair loss. If you take a multi-vitamin, make sure it does not contain iron. After a hysterectomy, our bodies no longer require large levels of iron. Too much iron can cause your hair loss. You can take a Folic Acid supplement which has helped women with hair loss after a hysterectomy. Just make sure it does not contain iron as many over the counter supplements for folic acid are combined in a prenatal with iron.
How to avoid going bald on the forehead?
I going bald in the forehead region. How to stop this and promote new hair growth? I have tried: COCONUT OIL. I think it was caused by: CARBONS WHILE TRAVELLING BIKE IT CAUSES MOSTLY
If you travel by bike and wear a helmet (which you should), this can cause hair loss of the forehead region when hair follicles become clogged with sweat and dirt. There are hair caps you can wear under the helmet which keep sweat under control while also protecting your hair. Even a bandana would help.
Instead of Coconut Oil, try Castor Oil. This oil has been proven to be highly effective in promoting hair growth. If you are male, consider getting your testosterone tested. Low testosterone and High testosterone can both cause hair loss in the forehead region.
Can vellus hair grow into full terminal hair?
Diagnosed with male pattern loss. Using minoxidel-5% and biotin
Tricomin has a variety of hair products that contain their Triamino Copper Complex™. Many people report that using this has helped with the vellus that grows after using products like Minoxidil. It is worth a try to see if it helps you.
Hello, it is a bit tough task to include all of them, so can I use some of them?
Density of my hair is getting less day by day.. I have tried: Nothing yet. I think it was caused by: Definitely DHT I feel.
Even making a small change from this list in the article will help you. It is normal to shed up to 200 hairs a day. We also experience a seasonal shedding of hair just like a dog or cat does in the summer. The older you get, you lose more hair. Some medical conditions cause hair loss. The only way to really know what the cause is would be to speak with your medical doctor about labs to determine hormonal imbalances.
CAN I REGAIN MY HAIR LOSS DUE TO MALE PATTERN TYPE?
I LOST HAIR 10 Years BACK , CAN I REGAIN FULL HAIR WITHOUT HAIR TRANSPLANTS
After 10 years, you could try to use a medication for hair growth or the over the counter hair products like Rogaine. This should be used for a minimum of 90 days before you give up. Also, there are new laser treatments meant to rejuvenate hair follicles. It is always recommended to start treatments as soon as hair loss is noticed. Resurrecting dead hair follicles is a time consuming process with a 50/50 fail rate.
How many days it requires for a fallen hair with white bulb to regrow?
Hi , I'm losing more hairs with white bulb and doc said I am suffering from telogen effluvium, so my point is when do they regrow back. I have tried: Actual problem started with dandruff for which I have been to doc and said him lies that I have hair fall problem too for which he gave minoxidil solution which is only recommended for androgenic patients but unfortunately I was unaware of and continued to use that stuff and after 4 weeks a massive shed has taken place which was never before and I stopped that stuff after 3 months and I shaved my head and few weeks later new hair has grown and after 1 month all new hairs have gone and again went another doc were he said it was telogen effluvium....and now I am shedding tiny thick hairs in large number, where as my thick hairs are fine. I think it was caused by: Minoxidil is the culprit which was my big mistake!
You should know that it is common to have hair loss when using Minoxidil at the beginning as this is your hair follicles synchronizing. First, get your dandruff under control. Use a shampoo specifically for dandruff. Then start putting Castor Oil on your scalp three times a week for 30 minutes. Assess the hair loss within 6 months, then speak with your doctor again about possibly starting Propecia.
Hello Donna. I have a bald patch on the crown of my head and I am looking for ways to grow hair there?
Bald spot in crown of head has been there for 10 years now. I am trying to grow the hairs there. I know food plays a large role in our health and wellbeing that is why I found this site. Most of the foods mentioned are not available in West Africa. Also, I am an African so I wonder if hair loss is more difficult to treat for Africans than Caucasians.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
No hair on my front side of head. It is a hereditary problem?
I have almost nil hairs on my head mainly in the front side and top of head. I had lost them when I was 22 years old. It is almost same as described in the article. I had used many medicated shampoos and also consumed many hair tonics. But it did not help much. I have tried: I got my hair transplant done. But it only worsened my situation. I also lost the hairs from my back side that were used for transplant. I think it was caused by: I think it is a hereditary problem as my father also had lost his hairs.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Hair loss can be an idiosyncratic matter, especially if you lost your hair young and if you lost the hairs that were used to perform a transplant at a young age. Not everybody can win the battle against an overproduction of DHT, which is usually very hereditary, especially if the hair loss is at the temples and on top of your head as you are describing. In some people, the DHT build-up problem can be continually rinsed away to delay the inevitable balding that can occur and in others, permanent damage to the hair roots happens early, and the damage is irreparable. Sometimes too, it is better for a guy to shave their head completely rather than deal with regrowth that is not quite taking as it should.
Is there one product that would have maximum ingredients to block DHT?
I would like to buy one single product to block the DHT for my hair. I have flakiness problem and no oil really benefits me when I apply it on my scalp because it increases the flakiness
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.