Stay Safe when Travelling Abroad
Edited by Seighart, Charmed, Maria Sharon Ubando, vc
We travel for different reasons; study, work or simply just to relax. Whatever your purpose or reason is for your travel, always make sure that you travel safely and get back home in one piece. The world can be a dangerous place. Yes, even in countries deemed to be the friendliest to its tourists can still be dangerous. You don't want to be in a big mess when you travel overseas, do you? Before and during the trip, you should always take extra precautions especially when you are traveling alone or with kids. Before you pack your things, here are some important tips that you need to bear in mind.
Things To Do Before and During the Trip
- 1This way, it will keep you from doing things which may be prohibited or against the norms and customs of the county. Google is your friend here. It would also be good to join forum so you can have a live interaction with people who have been there or knows a lot about the country.Research - It always pay to know something about the country you are traveling to.Advertisement
- 2If you are being followed, make sure to contact the authorities immediately. Crimes and violence happen to tourists. You should know where and how to contact the proper authorities.Awareness - Be aware of your surroundings and know where your embassies or police station are located.Advertisement
- 3Do not over dress for you can be a possible target of kidnappers or mobsters. Dressing up as if you are the Queen of London will get you a little closer to crime.Dress Casually - Dress up properly.
- 4Copy your Documents - Make sure you have a digital copy (scan and email it to yourself) of your important documents in case you lost the original ones
- 5Don't Trust Strangers - Learn to the limits of trusting someone especially when it comes to your personal safety.
- 6Consider pre-paying large expenditures - These will eliminate you bringing a lot of cash since your needs are paid already.
- 7It is either you drink moderately or never drink at all when travelling.Drink alcohol moderately - Drinking too much will get you in trouble for sure.
- 8Avoid sharing your room with strangers. Make sure to talk to hotel staffs if you have medical needs or if you a have medical conditions.Check your local hotels - Make sure you fire exits and the locks of your rooms.
- 9Go out with tour guides when it is possible. There are some interesting yet dangerous places that tourists would like to see. Investing a little on a tour guide for your safety is more important.Activities - If you are planning on doing some outdoor activities or sports then make sure that you read safety tips or has proper training to do it.
- 10Travel lightly. Make sure to check the brakes, water, lights if you hire or rent a vehicle. Wear proper gears if you are riding a motorbike such as helmets.Transportation - Make sure to avoid overcrowded or poorly maintained public transport.
While being ready at all times is a must when you travel, there are some stuff of yours that you need not bring with you. Check out the list of these ==Things which are better left home==
- 1Things of great value like jewelry or expensive looking ones ( this will only attract thieves)Advertisement
- 2Too many credit cards
- 3Heirlooms or anything which your family can't afford to lose
- 4Regular stuff inside your wallet ( just bring 1-2 identifications)
Other Considerations When Traveling Abroad
- 2It would be wise if you inform your family about your travel plans. Leave a copy of your itinerary. You too should leave contact numbers for emergency cases.Inform everyone.
Things to do When Travelling
- 1Remember that you are there as a guest so give the locals respect and you will gain the same.Respect the locals.
- 2You might be observing some weird practices when travelling. Do not laugh, criticize or make negative comments.Respect the culture.
- 3Traveling can be very fun when you experience new things like food and wine.Try the specialty.
- 4Do not trust people so easily. Always look after your stuff and yourself. If possible, try to hang out on places where there is a crowd. This will keep you away from possible harassment mobbing.be very cautious.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
Do you have experience on travelling to Singapore?
I am going to travel Singapore this New Year event, I need someone already there can share some experience
I am traveling with my family
Recent edits by: Maria Sharon Ubando, Charmed, Seighart