Stay Safe While Traveling Alone - for Women
Edited by Rubilyn Valdez, Karan Khanna, Robbi, Lynn and 2 others
Traveling is viewed not only as a leisurely activity, but also as a healthy regimen for people who live stressful lives. Traveling attracts different types of people from all walks of life. It could be for business, cultural immersion, vacation, or simply as an opportunity to get to know oneself better. Today, more women are engaged into solo backpacking trips, not only because it is cheaper to travel alone, but also because of the liberation that traveling gives to a person. Although this is an enjoyable activity, there are still perils involved. Traveling alone as a woman requires added security and prevention.
- 1This includes your destination, itinerary of activities, directions, and even culture. It does not hurt if you scan a few Google pages and find out what's best about your target place and what's not so safe for women who are traveling solo. Not only that it will save you time and money, but it can also help you appear more like a resident or a long-time tourist. Remember, it is important not to appear to be traveling alone.Memorize everything about your trip.Advertisement
- 2As much as possible, do not bring luxurious jewelry, especially if your itinerary does not suggest that you go on a high-profile party. If you are a serious backpacker, then you know that the lighter your luggage is, the easier and safer it is for you to move. So keep your important valuables such as wallet, passport, debit and credit cards, and IDs close to you. Do not leave them in your rented dormitory or in a fast food chain. Better yet, bring an easy-to-carry sling bag where you can put all your stuff for the day. If you are carrying a DSLR or any other expensive gadget, make sure that you can store it in a casing that is not too flashy to the eyes.Keep your valuables safe and discreet.Advertisement
- 3Even though the city you are currently settling in does not implement curfew hours, you must understand that loitering around, especially during the wee hours of the night increases the chances that you may encounter danger. Stay in your apartment ideally after the last meal for the day if you are not bringing a buddy or not attending a special midnight party in town.Set a curfew hour.
- 5One of the safest ways to travel is to blend into your local environment. This means that you have to dress, eat, and sometimes even talk like the residents of the place. When you do, it is such an overwhelming opportunity to enrich cultural exposure. You can not only prevent yourself from being robbed or harassed, but this is also a fresh way to give meaning to your travel.Tour like a local.
- 6The type of accommodation you choose depends on your budget or the type of experience you want to have. If you are a backpacker on a budget, you may choose booking a bed in a dormitory-type hostel. A lot of hostels from several different countries are specifically for backpackers and budget travelers. The increasing number of local-like tourists have paved the way for cozy and convenient hostels with options for private or shared rooms and toilets. Whether you are staying in an expensive hotel or a budget hostel, always find time to read reviews and feedback from previous customers. This will help you a lot in deciding what is best considering safety and cost.Be wise in booking your accommodations.
- 7One of the perks of traveling solo is that you can decide who among your co-travelers are worth keeping for a couple of days or weeks.Take caution in making new friends Though socializing is a natural tendency in traveling, keep your privacy balloon active and set limits about which information you can disclose to strangers or the level of attachment you wish to establish.
- 8Traveling solo does not mean that you have to be alone on your entire trip. Hook up with a fellow tourist who shares the same passion as you have.Travel with a trusted buddy every once in a while.Advertisement
- Traveling alone is a serious matter; that is why it is important to choose the destination very carefully. Below are 10 of the safest places on Earth for women to travel.
- Copenhagen, Denmark. Majestic architecture, reputable for shopping, and the mythological Gefjun fountain
- Ottawa, Canada. Learn how to speak French together with your English language; popular in selling world-class cheese
- Auckland, New Zealand. Tagged as City of Sails; beautiful beaches and harbors
- Helsinki, Finland. Art Nouveau style buildings; amazing city architecture
- Hilo, Hawaii. Known for Akaka State Falls Park; home to Macadamia nuts
- Perth, Australia. King's Park; beaches and surfing
- Oslo, Norway. Vigeland Sculpture Park; busiest nightclubs
- Setúbal, Portugal. Small city of seafood and wines; Serra da Arrabida National Park; beautiful beaches
- Malmo, Sweden. Hiking, golfing, and boating; eco-friendly shopping centers
- Marseille, France. Pristine beaches and delicious seafood; boat rides and underwater activities
- India could be a challenging place to visit for women, especially if they do not know the country's restrictions on certain behavior. Learn about the Do's and Don'ts in traveling so you can have a comfortable and safe travel to India.
- Do not wear skimpy or revealing clothing.
- Do not wear your shoes or any footwear inside a temple or a house.
- Do not point your feet at people.
- Do not eat or pass food using your left hand.
- Do not take intrusive or private questions as offensive.
Categories : Travel & Leisure
Recent edits by: Doug Collins, Lynn, Robbi