Start the Paleo Diet
Edited by Vick Oluoch, Charmed, Clifford, Lynn and 3 others
This article is a guide on how you can start a Paleo diet. Paleo diet refers to the modern nutritional plan that is based on what was consumed in the ancient times. These include wild animals and plants that the ancient humans ate during the Paleolithic era. The first step to starting the Caveman diet is awareness. Once you are aware of what the Paleo diet is; you can take the bold steps to implement it. Eliminating the non-Paleo is usually the hardest part. People love processed foods like snacks, sodas, dairy and bread just but to mention a few. The following steps should help you start the Paleo diet.
- 1Most Paleo foods are not usually stored in the pantry. It is therefore important to go through the pantry and remove all the processed food that you have. Some of the processed food may be beans, rice, pasta, sodas, candy, cake mixes, cereals and potato chips. If your processed food is unopened, you can donate them to a local children's home.Pantry raid:Advertisement
- 2This is another way of getting started on the Paleo diet. One of the most popular detoxification programs is the "Master Cleanse". Master Cleanse refer to the consumption of cayenne pepper, lemon juice and water on a daily basis. Remember that this is neither an endorsement nor a recommendation, just an idea. This is however one of the easiest ways to begin the Paleo diet.Detoxification:Advertisement
- 3You can gradually remove some of the processed foods from your diet and replace them with some of the natural foods that are in line with the Caveman diet. To implement this, avoid buying processed foods whenever you go shopping. You will need to develop the culture of buying natural foods if your Paleo diet is to be a success. Shop in bulk at the grocery shop, in this way you will not have to rush in the nearest shop for processing cereals when your grains run dry.Gradual transition:
- 5Come up with a diet plan that will help you successfully execute your dieting plans. Restrict yourself to Paleo diet plan. Choose the diet plan that follows accountability and are easy to track. A diet plan will tell you exactly which foods to eat. This is one of the most effective ways of starting a Paleo diet since your diet plan will act as your guide.Diet Plan:
What foods should I have on hand when starting Paleo?
The Paleo diet is based on eating what Paleolithic cave people used to eat. So all natural food, with as little preservatives as possible, is the best food in a Paleo diet. Stay away from grains, starchy food and processed meat. Refrain from eating pre-packaged snacks, such as pretzels, cereal, chips, candies, pastries and the like. Sodas and fruit juices that are rich in artificial sugars, energy drinks, and especially alcoholic beverages should also be avoided. What you should have are these:
- 1Highly processed meats that are rich in fats should be avoided, or should at least be eaten only in moderation. You can eat pork, beef, poultry, turkey, chicken, veal, lambs, Venison, steak, rabbit, goat, eggs (duck, chicken and goose), and quail. If you could get some, you could also eat kangaroo, bear, elk, bison, ostrich, and wild boar.Meats - All-grass eating animal meats are favorable to have.Advertisement
- 2They are rich in minerals and proteins, not to mention that they are relatively low in fat. You could eat salmon, bass, mackerel, red snapper, tuna, trout, walleye, swordfish, milk fish and even shark if you want to.Fish - Almost anything that has fins and can swim can be included on your list of your Paleo foods.
- 3Some of them are clams, shrimps, lobster, oysters, scallops, crayfish and crabs.Seafood - Just like fish, they could be included in your diet.
- 4You could eat vegetables like spinach, celery, broccoli, zucchini, cabbage, peppers, artichoke, asparagus, carrots, green onions, parsley, eggplant, cauliflower, and avocado. You should watch your intake when eating yams, sweet potatoes, beets and acorn squash as these have more starch in them.Vegetables - Almost all vegetables could be eaten, but stay away from those with high starch content, such as squash or potatoes.
- 5Fruits - Some of the fruits that you could eat on the Paleo diet are oranges, raspberries, strawberries, grapes, apple, blackberries, papayas, peaches, plums, leeches, mangoes, lemons, cantaloupes, blueberries and watermelons.
- 7You could have olive oil, macadamia oil, or butter, but the butter should come from grass-fed animals as much as possible.Natural oils and fats - As long as it's natural you could have fats and oils, because these are the main source of body energy when you need it.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- The best way to start the Paleo diet is by eliminating all the processed food in your home.
- A diet plan is the most effective way of implementing the Paleo diet.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Physical Activity & Diet
Recent edits by: Doug Collins, Ephraim, Lynn