Start Electronic Music Production
Edited by VAMPYFREE, Anonymous, Graeme, Eng and 1 other
Electronic music the world most interesting, versatile term related to music industry in 21st century. This guide/bible will take you on a ride from a beginner music lover to transformation of love for music into a music producer at professional level. The guide is not specific to particular tutorial subject but takes you on the ride of the pathway where all music producers will find them standing, running, taking break or perhaps enjoying their destination reached. It will be good idea to find which step you are currently upon and then continue reading from that step to avoid reading what you already know. However anyone willing to read compete steps should gets appreciated. Thanks to all those charming people in advance.
ACCEPTANCE OF YOUR LOVE FOR MUSIC
- 1Lets start with beginning, where it all started.The music melody you liked, might have been playing on television, a concert or radio or somewhere else. This is the part where you accept that OK I am interested in music. If you heard that tone of MADONNA-RAPTURE or LINKING PARK metal bass and was like Yeah that is great and thought you like music production….let me clear you are wrong.Advertisement
- 2Often people gets mistaken that while loving some part of music/track will make you interested in music production and you start imaging yourself as a next good looking music producers ..girls imaging Britney spears ..boys imaging AKON.All this is just a myth and by the time you will read all these steps below you will realize you were really wrong.MAJORITY will not dare to read all steps probably because they are either not music lovers or they are already music producer.Advertisement
- 3Anyway, lets not stretch this part as there are very important topics to be covered.
- 4So what makes you a great music lover and a potential candidate for next electronic music producer?......the answer is difficult to explain but I will dare to do that…and it is that WHEN YOU ARE READY TO PROVIDE INPUT (TIME, MONEY, EFFORT, HUMILIATION, ETC) WITH NO/LITTLE EXPECTATION OF OUTPUT FROM THE INPUT YOU MADE. Sound technical?..... guess how many great music producers of past/present were imaging from their 20's to be what they are at present. NONE.. So when you start doing music related search and getting desperate to learn each technique…WHAT THAT KNOB DO?....how the hell that synth was created…what equipment/controller was used on that track?....When these questions start creeping into your mind..congrats you can be next electronic music producers. I remember how many sleepless nights I have invested for learning simple stuff that was available on internet but I did not had smartphone at that time to browse YouTube. POOR ME…. But you all inspiring producers are lucky to have access to all those amazing gadgets and connectivity options so you all can make it happen much earlier than what your idols might have achieved in.
WHERE TO START
To all who just started to love electronic music we will try our best to be as simple as possible. NOW what you need in beginning is
- 1LAPTOP/PC most of the Laptop and PCS are currently well equipped to start music production and learning.Advertisement
- 2INTERNET we all know internet is the best teacher thanks to blogs and wonderful product of Google YouTube
- 3DAW, a daw is Digital Audio Workstation.You will always need a program of capabilities of audio editing as well. LUCKILY all the popular DAW's comes with their own audio editors. So first thing which you might want to invest in will definitely be a DAW. However you may also download a free demo version of your DAW you like. OPTIONS of DAW:
- FLSTUDIO the first DAW I recommend will be flstudio with a recent release of their ver.11 this DAW will definitely be your choice
- ABLETON LIVE this is professional and used by many DJ's and is famous among biggest line of professionals
- LOGOC PRO this is something you can try but might find complex as it got so many feature you might never be able to handle especially in early part of your music career.
- There are many other DAW's available in online market but I will not name any of them as I don't use them. Of course you can try them and if you find them useful ,use it. CUBASE SONAR all are professional software will be good idea to keep an eye on these too.
- Your PC/LAPTOP might be having its own sound-card but no professional works without an external sound/audio interface and thus you will have to look at your priorities and pocket as well.
- SO what sound card does?... a sound-card is no magic equipment which make your noisy room into an studio. NOPE. A sound-card just converts analog to digital or vice versa.
- A sound-card is a necessity in order to hear sound being produced/recorded/played. YOU might want to learn music production and then think about sound-card purchase.
- 5MIDI KEYBOARD
- A midi is just informational data. A polyphonic tune in your mobile with format MIDI is also just data which tells which notes and instruments are being played. MANY TIMES LEARNERS GETS CONFUSED BUT TRUST ME NO MIDI WILL SOUND BETTER THAN MP3 OR WAV OR ANY OTHER FORMAT. It is just data that's it.
- 6MONITOR,MONITOR SPEAKER, MONITOR HEADPHONES,MICROPHONE
Accessories you will find at your home but will always like to invest as you grow as music producer
Electronic music basically have these samples which constitute a beat
- 6SIDE STICK
Basically beats are made from these components only. SO HOW TO MAKE BEATS? Before that you will have to learn something called GENRE. A GENRE is basically term to denote what kind of song is it. You must have heard about few of these:
- Breakbeat. and so on….
Every genre above has its own style and it you are free to choose which ever style of music you want to produce. BE a master of one but never limit yourself to just one genre. So how to make beats in your style of genre?....
- 1Every genre will have its own style of beats to be produced.And it will be good time to introduce term BARS… every song is structured and arrange in terms of BARS only. Like a normal 2min track can have upto 100+ bars. Where a single bar can be divided to 16 or 8 or 4 drum spaces.
- 2So if "a" denotes a single drum space a BAR can have aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa or aaaa aaaa or aaaa drum spaces.
- 3Every DAW will have these drum spaces to allow you to make beats of any genre of your choice.
- 4BASS.Every one has heard about term bass but what actually is a bass?...and what role it performs in a mix. THE answer to this will help you make good mixes in future. A bass only acts as a joint to join beats in order to give a complete feeling to the VOCALS/AUDIO of the singer. SO a song you want to produce will have at least 3 layers at a particular point of time.
- 5A VOCAL SAMPLE (audio), A BEAT and a bass.THESE three components constitutes a major portion of a song and a good mix will always have these three components coordinated and arranged well.
Every song has a measure of its speed/tempo which is BPM i.e. Beats Per Minute. It is a count of speed of track and every genre has basically its own tempo range. FOR EXAMPLE:
- HIPHOP 90-112 bpm
- HOUSE 125-138 bpm
- ELECTRO 128-134 bpm
- DANCE 134-144 bpm (there was time it was even more than 150 now we call it DNB drum n bass now)
- DNB 150+
- DUBSTEP (this is future and most talked genre of present electronic music thanks to artist like deadmaus,skrillex.)
- 1A pitch is just an description how high and low frequencies an instrument or track have.
- 2Now every track/song has its own pitch/KEY
- 3Like Cm, Am,Bm,C#,D,D#,Em,Fm,F#,Gm,G#
- 4A knowledge of chords and notes is beyond the scope of this tutorial so you can acquire great knowledge about these from a music tutor or sites like WARBEATS.COM, HOWTOMAKEELECTRONICMUSIC.COM .they have enough tutorial to provide knowledge about these basic music stuff which you can use to produce electronic music further with lights on topics od COMPRESSORS, EQUALIZING and MASTERING.
- 5SO AS A FAMOUS MUSIC PRODUCTION INSTITUTE TAGLINE STATES ' HONE YOUR SOUND…..Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.