Spot Fake Disney Items
Edited by Maria Sharon Ubando, Lynn, Eng, RoCOSTAkom and 2 others
Counterfeit products like Disney collectibles are everywhere. What really "hurts" is when you pay a lot for something, just to find out that you paid for a fake item.
With the present technology and skills of manufacturers, it is sometimes really hard to distinguish a fake item from a real one. Unless you are trained to look at authenticity indicators, or you have been collecting for years, you can definitely be deceived.
- 1 How to Spot a Fake Disney DVD
- 2 How to Spot a Fake Disney Pin
- 3 Top Disney Character Collectibles of All Times
- 4 How to Buy Authentic Disney Products
- 5 How to Determine if a Vintage Disney Item is Real
- 6 Other Things to Look for in Authentic Disney Items
- 7 Questions and Answers
- 8 Referencing this Article
- 9 Comments
How to Spot a Fake Disney DVD
Find out if you really got what you paid for with these following tips.
- 1Check the DVD description on the package about subtitles.If there are subtitles, especially in Chinese language, this should serve as a red flag for you. What you are holding is fake.Advertisement
- 2Authentic Disney DVDs come in two disc sets, so if you see just one, forget it.It's not real.Advertisement
- 3Should you see a banner on top of the DVD package which says Digital Surround Sound, it is a dead giveaway that what you purchased, or are planning to purchase a fake.Authentic Disney DVDs do not carry such labels.
- 4Another indication that the DVD is fake, is when you see the DVD9 logo on the front package.You won't find these on the real ones.
- 5Genuine Disney DVDs come in a distinctive blue-colored case.Look at the lower side of the case where you open it, and you should be able to see a gap or a space where a security tag is inserted. If you can't find one, it is a fake DVD.
- 6The Mickey hologram can be easily faked with the technology that we have now.Meticulously check the image. A genuine DVD carries Mickey's image on the center with a silver background, and around him is a gold film reel.
How to Spot a Fake Disney Pin
- 1Look at the edges.Make sure that you touch the edges of the pin on all sides. Authentic pins have smooth edges. For some designs, the edges maybe pointed, but still they remain smooth; not rough or jagged. Disney always makes sure that the quality of their products is the best.Advertisement
- 2Look at the dips of the pin.The color underneath the glazing of the pin should be even. However, don't be misled, for there are fake pins with even color. What you really have to look at are the dips, which can be caused by paint blotting or a spot where you can obviously see where the pin has been pushed down.
- 3Keep an eye on the color.Real pins are generally glossy. Also check the back of the pin; it should have a sandy texture. If it is missing this feature, then it is a fake pin you have.
- 4The weight.Real pins are heavier than the the fake ones.
- 5Look for the numbers on the pin.Real Disney pins carry numbers with them (e.g. 18/300). If it is missing this feature, then it is not real.
Top Disney Character Collectibles of All Times
- Mickey Mouse. You cannot get through your childhood without knowing who Mickey is. Most of us have had a Mickey toy at least once in our lives.
- Donald Duck. Who could forget his quacking voice and his many adventures? Many kids would call him the coolest duck in the world.
- Minnie Mouse. Disney's most famous character wouldn't be complete without the love of his life, Minnie. Young girls have always loved her huge ribbon and polka dot dress.
- Tinker Bell. She is the most famous fairy in the Disney World. This tiny creature has also become one of the favorite characters for kiddie costume parties.
- Winnie the Pooh. During the 90's, Winnie the Pooh became so popular that he is now one of Disney's most popular faces.
- Cinderella. Of the Disney princesses, Cinderella has become one of Disney's all-time favorite characters. A lot of young girls dream of becoming her.
- Snow White. Who wouldn't recognize the beautiful maiden who lived in the woods with seven dwarfs, and who truly has a golden heart? Girls love to collect pins, stickers, mugs, and just about anything else that bears her image.
How to Buy Authentic Disney Products
- To ensure the authenticity of the items you are buying, get them only from Disney stores. If there aren't any Disney stores in your area, buy only from reputable re-sellers and distributors.
- When buying online, again, only make the purchase from known online stores like eBay and Amazon. Check their ratings.
- Familiarize yourself with the authenticity marks. There are some resources online where you can learn more. If you have doubts, ask someone who knows a lot about these items.
- If you are offered a Disney product with a price way lower than the original, you should start doubting. Even if they tell you the items are on sale, you should not take the offer at once.
How to Determine if a Vintage Disney Item is Real
If you use a little more patience when fishing through the items at yard or garage sales, you may eventually find a treasure. If you have found what seems to be a vintage Mickey doll, but you are not an expert, you won't know if you have a faux or real item. Here are some guidelines on how you can confirm its authenticity.
- 1Check on the copyright.Look for the © sign. This is the copyright symbol. The symbol is usually followed by Disney's name. Disney has changed their copyright symbol three times since it started. Check on the symbols below:
- © Mickey Mouse Ltd., Walt Disney Enterprises. (1930-1938)
- © Walt Disney Productions. (1939-1984)
- © Disney Enterprises. (1984 to present).
- 2You can make use of the book Collecting Disneyana:Identification & Value Guide as your source of information. Once every five years, a new edition of the book is published.
- 3Join Forum Sites.There are online communities consisting of different members who, like you, are very much interested in collecting authentic Disney stuff. You can interact with them live and get instant feedback.
- 4If you can, have a professional appraiser assess your item.
Other Things to Look for in Authentic Disney Items
- 1There should be a certificate of authenticity with every real item bought that ensures that it is real.
- 2A return policy should be offered by sellers.If you are not offered this, don't buy anything.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
Is this necklace really from Disney?
I recently have in my possession a gold necklace, not real gold, but it's an item I can not find anywhere. It's a pendant with the White Rabbit's pocket watch. The front has the hands reading 11:16 and the back shows the "inner workings" in clear lacquer and has a Disney tag off of the clasp. It's a really cool piece but can't get it authenticated anywhere. I have tried: Contacted Disney to no avail. I cannot get anyone to just look at pictures. Or should I say haven't been directed to the right path for any answers. I think it was caused by: Doesn't apply.
The necklace you possess is part of the Alice and Wonderland Disney Collection and is authentic. Disney Couture still produces necklaces like the one you are describing. Contact them to see if you can get an authentication or they can recommend someone.
About a Disney movie Snow White And The 7 Dwarfs Movie?
I am debating if this is a real DVD or fake. Do all Disney Movies have the white seal on the top of the DVD or no?
The newer releases like Frozen do not have the white strip. The recent release of Snow White to DVD was a two-disc set with extra features. Check the bottom of the case for the security tag space as well as the case itself should be that Cinderella blue hue.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Spot Fake Disney Items. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Spot_Fake_Disney_Items
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Spot Fake Disney Items." VisiHow, visihow.com/Spot_Fake_Disney_Items Accessed 25 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Spot Fake Disney Items." Accessed Mar 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Spot_Fake_Disney_Items.
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: Maria, RoCOSTAkom, Eng